"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Yeah, my Dad and I love German Chocolate cake. I was his birthday present (he wanted twins, but got me instead), so Mom lucked out with us since we both loved it. She would triple the pecan icing for it and after icing the layers Dad would get the icing bowl and everything that was left in it, and the next year it was mine. Yum, yum! Next year I'll be hitting the big 5-0 and Dad (God willing will still be around) will be 82, so we're going to get together and hopefully talk Mom into making another German Chocolate cake. Can't wait.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I just discovered something so neat! Almost my whole life I have always had German Chocolate Cake on my birthday. I was telling James the other day that German Chocolate Cake is not from Germany but was made from Baker's German Chocolate (used to be called Baker's German's Chocolate) which was created by an American named Sam German.

Anyway, I was printing an article about it (to prove this to James) and I just discovered that the cake I love so much is the same age as me! The first recorded recipe for German Chocolate Cake was published in 1957, the same year I was "published!" How cool is that?!

Barbara
Very cool, Barbara

I found that out a few years ago (that it was named for Sam German) when Cook's Illustrated published an article about making German chocolate cake. It finally explained why none of our three German exchange students had ever heard of it

Old 11-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Since James can't be here for my birthday tomorrow we had our German Chocolate Cake and ice cream yesterday before he left for the week. I was going to send a piece with him so he could have some tomorrow, but he said things sometimes have a way of disappearing from the refrigerator there, so I will be working on it through the week.

Barbara
Old 11-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
I will be working on it through the week.

Barbara
Oh, man, that's gotta be a rough task!
Old 11-05-2007, 10:10 PM   #15
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Oh, man, that's gotta be a rough task!
The tough part will be making some of it last until tomorrow!

Barbara
Old 11-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #16
Master Chef

I wondered 'cause I naver heard of a german chocolate cake, so there was just a small chance it comes from G...
but now I know I didn't miss anything ;o))
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #17
Master Chef

Also, next time you buy some, note that it is German's chocolate and not German.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Chefellas
Quote:
I just discovered something so neat! Almost my whole life I have always had German Chocolate Cake on my birthday. I was telling James the other day that German Chocolate Cake is not from Germany but was made from Baker's German Chocolate (used to be called Baker's German's Chocolate) which was created by an American named Sam German.

Anyway, I was printing an article about it (to prove this to James) and I just discovered that the cake I love so much is the same age as me! The first recorded recipe for German Chocolate Cake was published in 1957, the same year I was "published!" How cool is that?!

Barbara
That is the neatest thing!!!! I was also born in 1957.I wonder what other "famous" recipes got their start that year?!?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
So did you have German Chocolate cake for your birthday Barb?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #20
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Yes we did Dina! We actually had it Sunday before James left, and I worked on the rest of it until it was gone Wednesday! It wasn't home-made, but it was actually almost as good as home-made.

Barbara