Going MIA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL, Silversage, I had noticed you mentioned packing for Portugal, but I was so filled with jealousy I couldn't comment. :cry: ;)

Edit:
Always wanted to do the bicycle tour of the wineries. Then I saw all the hills.
I want to plan a trip to the california wineries next year during harvest.

JEALOUSY, BEGONE! THOU FOUL FIEND! crawl back up your tunnel!

Spout Dragon.png

Oh Firebreather - we have worked and saved all of our lives. We are finally travelling to the places on our bucket list. I am retiring at the end of this year. I will celebrate my 70th birthday in Portugal later this month. My wife will celebrate her 81st in Italy in September. In July we are going to Burlington VT, Boston, and Provincetown. Next spring I hope to go to Ireland, then wine country in the fall. No need to be jealous - just be happy that we are able to do this before we can't.

Last edited:
LOL- As jealous as I may pretend to be - I chose my lifestyle. I used to travel but not now. So just teasing, ok yeah, a wee bit jealous that I can't have both .

Happy travels, good food, good wine, meet some wonderful people!
What's in Burlington VT for you? Been there, just south of Montreal, we used to go there, shopping malls - before the dollar and covid.

and have a wonderful Birthday in Portugal!
Happy pre-birthday to you,
Happy pre-birthday to you.....

.......What's in Burlington VT for you? ....
We have all had previous lives, before DC. In the early 1980's I worked M&A (mergers & acquisitions) for a multi-national corporation. We were acquiring a company based in Burlington, and I first went to do the due-diligence, then later to do the consolidation. Eventually, they offered me the Division. I was in the middle of planning my wedding to a man who was the senior VP of a major bank - managing the Ford Motor Comany account. In our world, we were the ultimate power couple. Everyone in our world courted us. I turned it down because I didn't want a long distance marrriage. Ultimately, I ended up with a Division in Cleveland, so I had a long distance marriage after all. It ultimately ended in divorce.

But that summer in Burlington was wonderful!!! I loved the town - it reminded me a lot of Ann Arbor. A number of times I didn't fly home for the weekend; I took side trips to Montreal, Maine, the mountains, etc. About 2 years ago, flying through, I had lunch in Burlington, and found it to be better than I remembered.

Now, I need to attend an event in Woodstock Vermont, wherre my company is headquartered. It's a 3 hour event, and the closest airport is Burlington. So I am taking my wife a couple days early to knock around Burlington. I hope she likes it as much as I remember it. Then to Woodstock for an afternoon. From there to Boston for a day. The next day we are meeting up with friends (some of you may remember QSis fron this site) and driving to Provincetown for a few days.

That's more than you asked for, and it's more than I have ever revealed about myself. But Burlington holds a lot of warm memories for me. I came real close to moving there in 1982.

Last edited:
and in 1982 we might have run into each other!

and maybe we did, I'm the one who parked too close to you making it very difficult to open the car doors.
Sorry 'bout that.

Thank you for the confidence to explain your feelings.
I truly hope you have a wonderful trip and that the experience is all that you had hoped for.

Well, have fun in Portugal. I hope all the jealous people here don't hex your trip!
Spain, Paris, Tangier--do you ever stay at home?
I really do hope you have a great time and can post some pictures. Looking forward to having you back, and seeing your photos.

...Ultimately, I ended up with a Division in Cleveland, so I had a long distance marriage after all. It ultimately ended in divorce...
Had it not been 1980 Cleveland, I would say that Cleveland was definitely better than a husband. Alas, 1980 Cleveland was still trying to find its way out of the rustbelt blues. If you were to see the shiny, happening Cleveland of today you might have liked it better than Burlington - although Burlington was sweet when my SIL and I visited in the front half of the 2000s. Thank you for giving us a peek into your life story.

Have a wonderful vacation and birthday in Portugal. Pictures!

Has anyone heard from @Kaneohegirlinaz ? According to her profile, she hasn't been here since April 27.
Finally getting around to checking in after a month (I've had a bit of @Chef Munky Luck this past month...) and this was the first post I saw. I also got a message from @caseydog asking me the same thing since he hasn't seen her at his other foodie haunt like @medtran49. I do have an email address for her from a while ago, so I just sent her a note. Hopefully it's still a good address and I hear back. If I do, and it's OK with her that I share, I'll let you all know.

Meanwhile, getting what I want to do done before we list this house is like trying to walk forward with a rope around my waist. What's at the other end of the rope? A 500 pound gorilla walking in the opposite direction. :LOL: You all know how I love Himself but he's no help - not one for work. (Think "Maynard" from The Dobie Gillis Show if you're old enough) I'll breeze along doing something, then hit a wall because it feels like I'm running through cement. Waited with this process until I got too old to do things quickly. :rolleyes: Well, my bad.

I actually was making good progress. Then I did I-don't-know-what, but I pulled a muscle along the outer side of my right thigh and it sat me down. If I tried to do things, the muscle would swell up enough that I could feel the lump when I rolled over in bed - pretty much eliminated falling asleep on my right side, my preferred starting point. Well, that went away after about a week of not doing much - but then I walked into the foot of a Windsor chair while closing a window...and broke my pinky toe. Can't I catch the right kind of break? :unsure:

The toe's better. The thigh is healed. Back to doing what needs to be done. Hopefully I'll be back soon to let you all know that we're interviewing realtors so we can pick an agent to get this thing on the market.

@Cooking Goddess, nice to see you stop by! How's the home-sale prep going?
Quick with my reply, wasn't I. :sneaky: I was typing while you were typing, and I didn't check to see any new posts before I posted.

Now I have to talk to my neighbor across the street. He managed to knock down our mailbox, which was on its last leg anyway. Need to get our mattock our back so Himself can dig a hole...

Finally getting around to checking in after a month (I've had a bit of @Chef Munky Luck this past month...) and this was the first post I saw. I also got a message from @caseydog asking me the same thing since he hasn't seen her at his other foodie haunt like @medtran49. I do have an email address for her from a while ago, so I just sent her a note. Hopefully it's still a good address and I hear back. If I do, and it's OK with her that I share, I'll let you all know.
THANKS!

Thanks for the update CG. (((hugs))) for the muscle and the toe. I have broken toes too many times. It's such a nuisance and hurts like a bugger for the first day or three. I find that after that, it only hurts noticeably when I walk on it wrong. I hope it heals quickly. Don't overdo the walking.

Back
Top Bottom