"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #2031
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
I am very sorry for the behavior of this nurse, it gives all of us nurses a bad name, something we have to overcome and regain the trust of our patients. I am glad the nurse was fired.

More hugs for Joyce and you Dear Cat!
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:56 PM   #2032
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
...
If they have cameras in every room, why did it take a complaint from someone to do anything about this unprofessional nurse? Surely someone be watching the camera feed or review the videos after they are taken. You would thing a very good hospital would catch this kind of behavior before it went too far and a family had to complain.
I've been thinking about this and it would be unrealistic. They would need someone for every room, 24 hrs a day, just watching a monitor. Nurses are too busy to spend all their time watching one or three monitors continuously enough that they wouldn't miss something. Sure, there might be room monitors at the nurses' station, but there might be heart and other important monitors that have to be checked as well. It's far too easy to miss something. If and when computer AI (artificial intelligence) gets smart enough, then a computer could keep track.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:25 PM   #2033
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,287
taxy, the "monitor" I referred to was not a medical monitor that a patient is hooked up to. Cat had mentioned that there are cameras in every room. I figured if a location (such as this hospital) goes through the expense of hooking up each room with a camera, there must be a room somewhere with an array of "TV" type monitors for someone to scan, watching for suspicious or malicious behavior on the part of staff, visitors, or patients. Otherwise, it seems like cameras are an unneeded expense on the hope that someone complains just to have archived video to refer to in case someone complains.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #2034
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
taxy, the "monitor" I referred to was not a medical monitor that a patient is hooked up to. Cat had mentioned that there are cameras in every room. I figured if a location (such as this hospital) goes through the expense of hooking up each room with a camera, there must be a room somewhere with an array of "TV" type monitors for someone to scan, watching for suspicious or malicious behavior on the part of staff, visitors, or patients. Otherwise, it seems like cameras are an unneeded expense on the hope that someone complains just to have archived video to refer to in case someone complains.
Yeah, I realize you meant the monitors attached to the cameras. I meant that if those are in the nurse's station, they would have a bunch of those to keep an eye on and the medical monitors.

Even if there is a room somewhere with someone watching, how many monitors can one person watch at the same time and not miss stuff? There would have to be a minimum of one camera monitor per room. That makes for a lot of monitors in a hospital.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:05 AM   #2035
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,074
There are systems that function without monitor screens. They just have to wind the tape back. We have such a system covering all the entrances in this building.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:21 AM   #2036
Sous Chef
 
CrazyCatLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I am very sorry for the behavior of this nurse, it gives all of us nurses a bad name, something we have to overcome and regain the trust of our patients. I am glad the nurse was fired.

More hugs for Joyce and you Dear Cat!
Hi! I'm back now! The day nurses were wonderful to me. It's only the one, Ogress. Just one. The problem is, you never hear about the other 99.9999% of great nurses who go above and beyond their duties. I had those great nurses. My faith in nurses hasn't failed at all. Neither has my respect and gratitude failed at all. You don't have anything to regain, ever.

I have come to know you a little bit, and I know for a dang fact you're a blessing to your patients. You can't help what others do on other shifts, right?

Please don't worry about that. And hugs back atcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I've been thinking about this and it would be unrealistic. They would need someone for every room, 24 hrs a day, just watching a monitor. Nurses are too busy to spend all their time watching one or three monitors continuously enough that they wouldn't miss something. Sure, there might be room monitors at the nurses' station, but there might be heart and other important monitors that have to be checked as well. It's far too easy to miss something. If and when computer AI (artificial intelligence) gets smart enough, then a computer could keep track.
That's right. But when my laptop and things were taken, there was a man who pulled it up and showed it to the administrator, Gerry. He had to go back and find it, and he did. The tapes or whatever are are good for 90 days but the rest of them are archived for 7 years. He had no problem finding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
taxy, the "monitor" I referred to was not a medical monitor that a patient is hooked up to. Cat had mentioned that there are cameras in every room. I figured if a location (such as this hospital) goes through the expense of hooking up each room with a camera, there must be a room somewhere with an array of "TV" type monitors for someone to scan, watching for suspicious or malicious behavior on the part of staff, visitors, or patients. Otherwise, it seems like cameras are an unneeded expense on the hope that someone complains just to have archived video to refer to in case someone complains.
The hospital security system does watch entrances and stuff like that. But when there are over 800 rooms, the security folks can't keep track of all that. When there's an issue in a room like in the newborn OB/GYN and the daddy baby gets in a fight with new boyfriend, that's one thing. I only complained the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yeah, I realize you meant the monitors attached to the cameras. I meant that if those are in the nurse's station, they would have a bunch of those to keep an eye on and the medical monitors.

Even if there is a room somewhere with someone watching, how many monitors can one person watch at the same time and not miss stuff? There would have to be a minimum of one camera monitor per room. That makes for a lot of monitors in a hospital.
I was hooked up to monitors at first. Those are different from cameras. If something goes wrong, the monitors will set off an alarm and everyone comes running.

Anyway I've explained enough. I am done here, tired, and I want to talk food. Glad to be back! And thank you all for thinking of me!

Many PURRZ to all of you!
__________________
Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:20 AM   #2037
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
Hi! I'm back now!...
...like a bad penny.

Just kidding. Welcome back. Glad that you made such a speedy recovery. Now you need to relax and recover.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:25 PM   #2038
Sous Chef
 
CrazyCatLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
...like a bad penny.

Just kidding. Welcome back. Glad that you made such a speedy recovery. Now you need to relax and recover.
Thank you! Therapy will kill you. I'm sure my therapist wants me to die. I didn't do anything to him but he's trying to kill me.

He is so dang mean I'm building muscles. He's so horrible my appetite increased. He's so mean we all love him. He is so terrible we'll defend him if he shows up on a terrorist watchlist.

He says I'll be on my bike in a couple weeks and driving in a month!!

This man is absolutely horrible. His 10th wedding anniversary is on April 5.

We hate him so much we'll plant poison ivy next to his front door.

LOL! I'm joking! I couldn't resist!

Sorry for the scare, but we got him a really great anniversary gift.

I'll make it..I hope, but so far so good. I think he's gonna have a great anniversary.

I'll wait til the day after to turn him in to the authorities. LOL!
__________________
Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:43 AM   #2039
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,895
Like everyone, I've been wanting to see the CCL, we know and love sounding like who you really are. What an ordeal you've had with such good charity and humor.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:55 AM   #2040
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
Thank you! Therapy will kill you. I'm sure my therapist wants me to die. I didn't do anything to him but he's trying to kill me.
He doesn't WANT you to die, just wish you were dead.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.