"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-29-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Golden Gate Bridge

How something that appears so beautiful can also be tragedy! Watching Larry King other night had show on people who committed suicide. Someone is making, can't remember name, is making documentary about this. Fact is on average someone jumps off that bridge every 15 days. They refuse to put up some kind of protection or fence as it would detract from the appearance of the bridge. Maybe my facts about the reason is not only one. They do not feel that preventing someone from jumping off that bridge warrants any change! To see these people before they did it really had a impression that I can't forget. How this man made this film would not be easy. I am sure he hopes something will be done to change this. I have never had the opportunity to see this bridge but it must be well worth seeing.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:00 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Ink, it's Beautiful!

Old 10-29-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
Head Chef

The Golden Gate Bridge is beautiful to see. It is sad that people take their own lives by falling over the side of the bridge and into the water.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:55 AM   #4
Head Chef

Hubby's cousin lives right on the Marina in SF. She has a wonderful view of the GG bridge and of Alcatraz from her living room, that is, if it's not fogged in.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
Sous Chef

One of the most fantastic views is to walk the bridge - especially on a fog-free beautiful S.F. day!!!

IMO, if folks are determined to take their lives, a fence will not stop them...they'll just go somewhere else.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:52 PM   #6
Master Chef

When I was a child I lived in the area. I remember someone jumped off at the wrong time of day and just splashed into some mud flats and lived with not much injury. (I don't remember, I was very young and just remember my parents talking about it). I've always wondered if living through a suicide attempt is someone's way of telling you your time wasn't up, or if it just makes you feel like more of a failure. How sad.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:21 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs
One of the most fantastic views is to walk the bridge - especially on a fog-free beautiful S.F. day!!!

IMO, if folks are determined to take their lives, a fence will not stop them...they'll just go somewhere else.
I really couldn't agree more. It really bothers me that we have to keep changing things in our society to protect people from themselves..

It's sort of like the Seatbelt or Helmet Law.. I wear both all of the time.. But, I am not sure why it's a law to wear them.. I don't really want to get on a political rheteric, but I think the Bridge should stay just as is..

-Brad
Old 10-31-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

My wife was telling me about this documentary last night actually. She heard something about it on NPR. The film makers set up cameras a distance away and filmed for a year to catch the suicides. They would call the cops when they could to try to prevent as many as possible, but they found that next to impossible. The people they thought would jump didn't and the people they did not think would jump did. They talked about one guy who was jogging and talking on his cell phone with a smile on his face and then out of nowhere he jumped. Crazy stuff!

I agree with cjs. A fence will not solve the problem. If someone is that determined to end their life then they will find a way to do it.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Ebert's written a good review, however, it falls into the same category as "Silence of the Lambs" and "Seven" for me ... maybe well-filmed, well-acted, well-written and all the other "wells" ... but you have to ask yourself, was it really necessary to make this?

Few things frighten me more than the thought of suicide. I certainly don't want to see it.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:42 AM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Sadly, for a determined suicidal person, a fence just provides a higher departure point, and nothing more.