"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-20-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Gordan Ramsey

I adore this guy he has a new Kitchen Nightmares show based in the USA I saw the first show the other night it was fantastic he really tells it like it is.Its really just common sense in my opinion.I love his philosphy(sp)

Old 09-20-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I disagree completely. Peter had the best attitude and had been running the restaurant for years before Gordon Ramsey stuck his nose in! I particularly liked the way he dealt with bill collectors.

I didn't like Gordon Ramsey in his previous show where he created nothing but conflict and discord by abusing his staff. As a restaurant owner, I very much enjoyed watching his reasoned and persistant to turning Peter's restaurant around. I think the new show is going to be a hit. It's scary to think that there are lots of other restaurants out there that we may visit regularly which are much like the "old" Peter's Restaurant.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I disagree completely. Peter had the best attitude and had been running the restaurant for years before Gordon Ramsey stuck his nose in! I particularly liked the way he dealt with bill collectors.

I didn't like Gordon Ramsey in his previous show where he created nothing but conflict and discord by abusing his staff. As a restaurant owner, I very much enjoyed watching his reasoned and persistant to turning Peter's restaurant around. I think the new show is going to be a hit. It's scary to think that there are lots of other restaurants out there that we may visit regularly which are much like the "old" Peter's Restaurant.
That place was serving rotton food and Peter was not paying the bills or contributing in any way.In fact he just strutted around and his family was not happy with him either and the cooks had less than decent equipment to cook.The bill collectors should not have had to have confront him in the first place if the bills were paid.Bills need to be paid.Peter was quite arrogant but it seemed he changed is mind because the bottom line is the more costumers the more profit is made.IMHO Gorden tells it like it is I have worked restaurants for over 30 years the people he is giving a hard time need to hear it.I believe chefs can be really harsh because a restaurant can be a hard living which is why I refuse to start a restaurant on my own even with alot of investors its just too hard.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:48 AM   #4
Head Chef

I was married to a restaurant for five years, never again quote the Raven it was a night mare from start to finish
Old 09-21-2007, 12:48 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

JP,
I howled all the way through that episode. Peter, was what I call a glad hander.No one counts but Peter.He tries to make himself look important by giving away food and drink, buying fancy cars and watches and expensive suits..And to walk through the place eating and eating someones order while they waited, YUK, he is a pig...If he sticks to the way he shaped up after being told what a goofball he was then the whole family will benefit, If not, they are done for..As to his behavior with bill collectors, both were wrong in how they conducted themselves, but allowing this to go on in front of his customers, is unforgivable, I'd have left and not returned..Who needs a fight while trying to enjoy their dinner?
kadesma
Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Sorry if my response was taken seriously. I've taken over restaurants run just like Peter's Restaurant and encountered personalities just as offensive and narcissistic as Peter's. I was as repulsed as everyone by Peter's attitude and actions. I felt sorry for his poor sister and loyal and capable employees who relied on the restaurant for a living.

I wonder if the "bill collectors" were business related or were really Peter's bookies trying to collect on some bad action.

Nothing will demoralize employees faster than a boss like Peter.

I thought I'd split a side when Peter started eating the customer's clam order in the kitchen. The guy is clueless.