Guess what this is a photo of!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• May 08 042.jpg
    May 08 042.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 191
What is this? It is known by a couple of names, has a famous name (or names, if you really want to get technical) attached to it.

Attachments

• guess.jpg
    guess.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 181
I'm guessing it is either in California or Australia. I know that's a stretch, but I have to start narrowing it down somewhere! Beyond that wild guess, I have no idea! Is it some sort of hotel?

:)Barbara

It's quite famous, and it is in California. The designer(s) of this building are also the designers that an entire period of American design is named after.

That should pretty much give it away.

It has been a house. It's unclear to me whether it is a house now, though it would appear that one of the designer's daughter from first marriage currently either resides there or is the owner. It has more significance than just as a house, though. It is part of what was a greater mid-century modern plan. It is one of the more famous of the houses in that plan. It might be argued it is the *most* famous of them. There is even a foundation dedicated to this house, with members donating as much as $50,000+ to its upkeep.

Eichler developed, not designed (though he had great team of designers who made some amazing homes), but this one is not affiliated with Eichler.

These designers were not as well known for architecture as they were for ephemera.

There were about 40 homes involved in this project, but this particular house was designed by a particular famous team. Even if you don't recognize the name, which is used to describe the era, you'll recognize their product(s).

Here's one of their more famous items, still commanding over $1k for decent models, and more than twice that for mint ones. Bonus if you can tell me what building this item was designed for, as well as the building shown in the original post.

Attachments

• guess.bmp
    351.6 KB · Views: 53
Eichler developed, not designed (though he had great team of designers who made some amazing homes), but this one is not affiliated with Eichler.

These designers were not as well known for architecture as they were for ephemera.

There were about 40 homes involved in this project, but this particular house was designed by a particular famous team. Even if you don't recognize the name, which is used to describe the era, you'll recognize their product(s).

Here's one of their more famous items, still commanding over $1k for decent models, and more than twice that for mint ones. Bonus if you can tell me what building this item was designed for, as well as the building shown in the original post.

Ok, sorry for being so obtuse.

Charles and Ray Eames

Eames House, Pacific Palisades.

Wiki claims the first display of the chair and ottoman were for Arlene Francis' "home" on an NBC set. There is a set on display in the NY Museum of Modern Art.

Sheesh........

:mrgreen:

It also is known as Case Study House #8, part of the Case Study home series. There are several that are more famous visually. #22, the Stahl House, is probably one of the more famous.

Charles and Ray Eames were known for their furniture, primarily. Their work caused many to coin the name "Eames Era" for Mid-Century Modern architecture and ephemera.

Back
Top Bottom