Has Anyone Ever Put Their Dog on A Diet?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very interesting web sites. I sent them on to friends.

Dove loves any veggies..raw or cooked. the one she loves best is baby carrots.They work on her teeth like dental floss.

she is over weight..7 pounds. She needs to be no more than six pounds.
She goes in for her teeth to be cleaned Wed. I took her today lol a bit too early I would say-----------

I was curious about tomatoes since I have friends who grow them and their dogs eat them, apparently with no ill effect. I looked up a few more sites and here's a similar list from Humane Society, which led me to American Animal Hospital Association website, which had a list beyond food that I thought was very informative. Both sites only lists tomato leaves and stems as being poisonous.

Thank you very much plumies!!! Always willing to learn more about caring for our furbabies!

I have always heard tomatoes could cause issues, but I do not have first hand experience with this. There are things on that list that I had fed my dogs without any problem, but I have stopped it now that I know. I think their little tummies are more tolerant than we realize, I just don't like taking the risk.

Thanks for the info!

My vet and I congradulate all of you. When we took "Bear & Liam", our 4 year old labs, in for their checkup, the vet told us that they need to loose 10# a piece. The vet suggested keeping most everything the same, sice they are otherwise healthy and to just switch to reduced calorie dog food.

We did as directed and it worked. Six months later, they were down the 10#. The vet was extatic and said that so many people do not heed the advise and take weight off the dogs. Loosing slowly is better for them, just as it is for us.

Our "boys" went from California Natural to reduced calorie Californis Natural. They get very little table food. When I am cooking they hang out for the tops of tomatoes, cucumbers and the outside leaves fo lettuice as well as an occaional carrot.

Since labs will eat any and all available food any time, set meal times are manditory. As I said in a previous post, we add Nupro Silver once a day. They walk every day that we can for 1 to 3 miles, run agility courses once a week and "Fetching a rubber ball inside" is an almost constant game. They are, after all, retrievers. (Snicker)

Green beans and weight - Lose Weight On the "Buddy Dog Diet" :: Oceanic Time Warner Cable's AroundHawaii.com

Guide to dog weight - StopCanineObesity.com

So happy that I can now post URL's. Lots of informationn out there to share.:)

Last edited:
My dog Cubbie seems skinny to me, but he is young (15 1/2 months old) and I'm sure he will fill out. When I picked him up at the vet's this morning (he was neutered yesterday--the dog, not the vet, lol), they said he is 61.7 pounds, which the receptionist said is fine. Cubbie doesn't eat a lot. He does need more exercise than he gets though. Now that the weather is warming up, I need to go out and walk him more. I need it more than he does anyway!

:)Barbara

At 15-1/2 months he may fill out some..... but I wouldn't expect a lot. And he's had his hormones all this time, too, which helps a dog fill out and get that "masculine" look that separates them from females. Some GSDs are thin looking no matter what. It's because of all the different types that are out there. Same as Labs come in all sizes and shapes now. It's all in the genetics.

Thanks--yeah, I was a little worried that he seemed too skinny. James said he doesn't seem skinny to him, and the vet said he's fine. He has such a high and sharp backbone (seems that way to me anyway). I do know he is active and happy, and he has a good appetite. I know he is pretty strong. :cool:

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom