"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-23-2005, 05:20 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Has Anyone Tried to Go Shopping?

It took me 45 minutes to get to the parking lot and I wanted to drive right home. What is going on? I thought people were stressed for money? I could not believe it. I truly thank the man that gave me break in line of cars trying to get off the lot. He is saint. Thank you Jesus, for helping me get home. I was trying to RETURN something!!!! Once I got to the store everyone resenting one another for the space they took made me sick. I told them 'Merry Christmas' and you could not believe the reaction I got. Well, they bring it on themselves this is craziness. Now I am at home feeling thankful to be ALONE without everyone trying to push me out of the way. Just curious if anyone here tried to go out. My family, doing what they normally do and that is why they are oblivious to what I am talking about. Is this what Christmas is all about?

Old 12-23-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Even the parking lots at grocery stores are really packed.

People are spending more than they bring in each week.

I am not so sure that this is going to be a blow out christmas for the retailers this year.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
Executive Chef

kleenex

Do you believe I have to go to the grocery store at 1:30 tomorrrow afternoon? I am so nervous but what good does it do? Just for one day? This bothers me that people are so anxious and this is not what supposed to be. I am thankful you noticed it! When you have to go places alone you feel so isolated and wonder what it happening to you? To be sitting here brings me such peace. Knowing how they are all trying to make each other happy with some kind of gift. If only people would be kind to each other each and every day, this wouldn't be necessary. How do you feel?
Old 12-23-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

yup, i just got back itk. this has been a very bad week at work, not only trying to keep us on the air, but also just getting warm bodies to cover shifts. i got called in on an emergency last night at midnight, and was already scheduled to do a double today for coverage. i told them to try to find someone else, but i was the only dope that answered the phone. twice. (hitting forehead with shoe)
so now i'm on a triple, and still needed to buy presents.
i spent my lunch hour charging through several stores here in the city, heck bent on getting gifts for dw and my parents. we're not seeing the rest of my family 'till after christmas, so, now that it's crunch time, i'll deal with obtaining their gifts later.
i was pleasently surprised at how nice everyone is. i mean, it's still nyc, agressive as ever, but the stores were packed with abnormally polite shoppers, and the sales people helpful. it must be that everyone's just happy that the transit strike is over. i guess when your life gets harder, it makes you appreciate things and look at them from a different perspective when the problems subside.

i still have a few places to hit before i go home, so that'l be my dinner hour.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 05:41 PM   #5
Executive Chef

You will get yours I feel sure about that. Who knows doing what you do will have some future reward, I feel sure of it. You are a man who does not like to let anyone down and there is always those that couldn't fill your shoes. Doing the 'extra' like you do will not go unnoticed. I am thankful people were kind to you. See? You are already feeling the gift that is for you alone. This is special time and I hope you experience nothing but good, loving people b ecause you are that kind of person. Thanks for letting me know people are trying to show the real feeling of Christmas. Love! I wish you the best! just that my nerves take a workout at this time of year. Always remember we are here hoping the best for you. New York City is that where you were? They should feel grateful.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #6
Executive Chef

All this week, I've done whatever going I have to do very early in the day. Today I haven't been anywhere. All my gifts have been sent and arrived, and the locals only need to be wrapped. We sent my grandchildren's gifts in a box that said "Craftsman Mitre Saw". That shook them up. When they were put under the tree, the question was "who gets the mitre saw?". I only have to pick up a very few things tomorrow and will get them very early.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:55 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I went out and picked up a few groceries. Safeway was very very busy.
But... everyone seemed to be in a good mood. I even ran into David while I was there and convinced him to come to dinner tonight. It was worth the parking hassles.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:15 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
I went out and picked up a few groceries. Safeway was very very busy.
But... everyone seemed to be in a good mood. I even ran into David while I was there and convinced him to come to dinner tonight. It was worth the parking hassles.
I once saw movie where the story was about miracles happening at Christmas! Is this what happened to you? I often think of the song where a girl and her boyfriend ran into each other while Christmas shopping and spent a few moments together. The title escapes me but that is what I often hope would happen to me. Guess I am just getting blue about the times past. My son just told me Dan Folgelberg is the guy who sang it. What a good song.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:00 PM   #9
Everymom

I saw on the news that December 23rd is the busiest shopping day of the year. According to Visa, there are 600 transactions per second (in Canada only). Whoa! That is a LOT of shopping! No wonder those parking lots were so crammed.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:19 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
According to Visa, there are 600 transactions per second (in Canada only)
lol, my wife can do that standing on her head!!!!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote