Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, It's Off To Costco!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are a lot of things at Costco that are a good value. Their success is not based on lowering quality to reduce price, but using bulk packaging to reduce price. I have not found many products of inferior quality.

Not mentioned above is wine. Where your local liquor store purchases a case, Costco will purchase 2 pallets per store. They are sold by the bottle.

Costco has good meat and fish actually. Wine prices are great too. I also usually get raw almonds and walnuts, almond butter if they have it... got a really nice Brie last month too and they have good veggies but those are hard to buy in bulk!

in addition to many items already mentioned....

cheapest books
sourdough bread (packaged in twos)
cheesecake (VERY good)
Cara Cara oranges when i can't get them anywhere else

on the other hand...
we found that WalMart's coffee is just as good and cheaper than Kirkland brand
big jars of cashews have gone up by at least $3 in the past year or so

I think the bread depends on local suppliers. We get a really yummy, whole grain, baguette with sesame seeds in twos. The baguettes are at a stand (inside of Costco and you still pay at the Costco cash) staffed by a local bakery and sells only stuff from that bakery.

Last edited:
on the other hand...
we found that WalMart's coffee is just as good and cheaper than Kirkland brand
big jars of cashews have gone up by at least $3 in the past year or so

Clearly we do not have the same WalMart. Their coffee is disgusting and definitely not like the Kirkland brand!

I hate Starbucks too. It tastes burnt to me. And I happen to believe you have excellent taste my dear. You like a lot of MY recipes after all. ;)

I am printing out this entire thread! What great suggestions, and gasoline too! Heigh ho, heigh ho....

We go once every season, mostly to stock up on organic coffee beans, half the price of good coffee in town here. Our fav is Zavida.

* They usually have blocks of cheese on specials. Our favs are: Balderson cheddar, 2-year old, and Jarlsberg.
* Vitamins of all kinds
* Tylenol in big jars, as well as Lakota for arthritis (my father and husband swear by it).
* Chocolates (can't resist the specials)
* Whole nuts in bags (pecans, walnuts, almonds)
* Large bags of ciabatta buns

Impulse buys of things on sale:
*my DH bought a mitre-saw, a brand name he had never heard of, (Kawasaki) for 1/3rd the price of any other he was interested in.
* 10 folding chairs for our nearby monastery (Buddhist)
* an external Hard Drive for computer
* 100-foot heavy duty extension cord
* 2- one piece outdoor overalls for monks (just because they happened to be in the right colors, matching their ochre robes).

OMG, I am seriously thinking of pitching a tent and living at Costco. Am envious of everyone who has one nearby! I wrote down everyone's suggestions, and we ended up with enough artichoke hearts, antiperspirant,onions, mushrooms,bacon, bleu cheese, dishwasher soap, the most gorgeous green olives, chicken broth, batteries, you name it, to last us till next year! Took 12 trips from the car to unload. Who needs Disneyland when you have Costco!

Gawd, we're a couple of hicks...

OMG, I am seriously thinking of pitching a tent and living at Costco. Am envious of everyone who has one nearby! I wrote down everyone's suggestions, and we ended up with enough artichoke hearts, antiperspirant,onions, mushrooms,bacon, bleu cheese, dishwasher soap, the most gorgeous green olives, chicken broth, batteries, you name it, to last us till next year! Took 12 trips from the car to unload. Who needs Disneyland when you have Costco!

Gawd, we're a couple of hicks...

I'd rather go to Costco than Disneyland...:)

I must be odd, I have never wanted to go to Disneyland and you can't keep me out of Costco.

They did tell me to get off the pop machine in the food court...Magic Mountain it ain't.

Back
Top Bottom