"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
Head Chef

If there is a cut off for age, which is 34 here, he could still do something in the law enforcement field. Go for it. When you are both old and sitting in your rockers, let there be no regrets. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
Thanks BigDog... I don't think you are being negative at all, just realistic. He knows perfectly well he should've started a LONG time ago if thats what he really wanted.... though I'd hardly call it a "whim" that he wants to be in law enforcement.
suziquzie ~ I didn't say it was a whim. I said it could be perceived as a whim. That's why whim was in quotation marks. You indicated he hadn't done much to pursue the career and that's what they look at, education, training, related work experience.

When I moved to NC people said I did it on a whim too. However, I had planned it for 4 years. What we know and what others perceive can often be two different things.

I meant no offense, I was mearly stating something based on my human resources experience. Sorry if I did indeed offend.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
If there is a cut off for age, which is 34 here, he could still do something in the law enforcement field. Go for it. When you are both old and sitting in your rockers, let there be no regrets. Good luck!
There's no age cut off, per se, here in MN. That said, realize you're competing against 22 year old folks for the same position. If you can elevate yourself to the top, then you get the job.

I'll bring up the stats now just so others understand how extremely difficult it is.

Each year there are approximately 1000 police officer openings statewide in MN. Those include supervisory/sworn administrative positions. Of those, between 10 and 20% fall under the supervisory/sworn admin category. Let's run with 15% - which leaves 850 police officer jobs.

Each year the MN State Colleges and Universities (MNSCU) put out about 12,000 fresh candidates for those 850 jobs. Again, that number of 12,000 is added annually. So, if last year was the first year these numbers were accurate, there are 11,150 people that didn't get hired. This year, those same 11,150 people are applying for this year's 850 jobs, along with a fresh 12,000 candidates, totalling over 23,000 people going for those 850 jobs.

Also, this does not account for lateral transfers from department to department, of which sworn officers that might not currently be employed as an officer qualify for. No one else can apply for laterals, which are starting to account for a growing number of the openings because the market is so saturated with eligible candidates, both sworn and eligible (eligible meaning eligible to be sworn, which would happen upon hire. Yes, that does suggest those already sworn have an advantage).
Old 10-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #14
Executive Chef

nope, 34 isn't too late.
my neighbors are all police, same family.
it's been hard over the years, to see what they've seen, but very rewarding and the benefits come retirement is a huge factor, at least here in LA.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #15
Master Chef

corect me if i am wrong, but i thought we had police shortage in mn? So why are they making it so hard? I mean, i understand the requirements, but why making so hard.

And Suzi, why would he want to bother with catching all those speeders in the left line driving 54, when the speed limit is only 55
Old 10-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
corect me if i am wrong, but i thought we had police shortage in mn? So why are they making it so hard? I mean, i understand the requirements, but why making so hard.
Any shortage of officers is due to budgetary constraints, not due to lack of candidates. Aside from budgetary constraints, MN is sitting quite pretty when it comes to officer head count.

Now, other parts of the country, they are desperate. Problem is though that your training and education here in MN do not transfer to other states. Part of that is obvious as laws and statutes differ, but even still, you have to work here at least one or two years before another state will accept and transfer your police status.

I say "or" because just like the laws, that varies by state. Some want 1, some want 2. I've never heard anything Above 2 though.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:18 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

My DH has been trying for 6 years. So far he has taken the Civil Service Test 3 times. (Only 1 test every two years) He has gotten a 85, 90, 93. It's soo hard because there is hundreds of people who got the same scores and thousands who got a better score.. There is also a cut off age I believe 35. If your DH was to be 35 at the time of the test it would be okay, I believe. But after 36 it's null and void. It's a hard job to get into and a hard job to live with. I wish DH wasn't so into it but it's his dream.. Hope your DH gets a chance. I know the test just came out this year so in two years it will be available again.