"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #21
Master Chef

The old clothes line was a great place to make a tent when we were kids. We would toss a couple of old sheets or blankets over the line and put rocks on the corners to hold them down.

On rainy days we did the same thing inside using the dining room table, minus the rocks! Do people have dining room tables these days?

Fun was cheaper when I was a kid!

Old 04-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
The old clothes line was a great place to make a tent when we were kids. We would toss a couple of old sheets or blankets over the line and put rocks on the corners to hold them down.

On rainy days we did the same thing inside using the dining room table, minus the rocks! Do people have dining room tables these days?

Fun was cheaper when I was a kid!
I had one until I moved here. Then it had to go. I would rather have had that go with me than my bed. I could have just slept on a mattress on the floor. I did all my crafts on that table.

And you are right. Fun was cheaper then. Every time I hear a mother complain that it is raining out and the kids are driving her crazy. You can guess what I suggest she do. And I tell her to serve their lunch of sandwiches in there. It is a suggestion that has often prevented a severe case of child abuse or a mother being committed. Take your pick.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:50 PM   #23
Master Chef

MadCook, your experience is hilarious! I read this aloud to Himself, and he enjoyed it too. I just wish I had been a fly on the wall when you offered to show proof of the underwear you were wearing right there, on the spot.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
MadCook, your experience is hilarious! I read this aloud to Himself, and he enjoyed it too. I just wish I had been a fly on the wall when you offered to show proof of the underwear you were wearing right there, on the spot.
It was a very funny story. Had me laughing. Makes my old reliable Hanes white cotton regular briefs sound like what he thought should be hanging of the clothesline. Or she could hangout a few of the orange long legged snuggies made with wool that her great-grandmother might have worn on cold winter days. Remember in her great-grandmothers day, ladies didn't wear slacks.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:54 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It was a very funny story. Had me laughing. Makes my old reliable Hanes white cotton regular briefs sound like what he thought should be hanging of the clothesline. Or she could hangout a few of the orange long legged snuggies made with wool that her great-grandmother might have worn on cold winter days. Remember in her great-grandmothers day, ladies didn't wear slacks.
When I lived in Denmark you could buy those in wool or cotton. The ones that went to the knees were nicknamed "divorce panties" and the shorter ones were nicknamed "separation panties". They were very handy under skirts in winter.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When I lived in Denmark you could buy those in wool or cotton. The ones that went to the knees were nicknamed "divorce panties" and the shorter ones were nicknamed "separation panties". They were very handy under skirts in winter.
As a kid, we thought only very old folks wore them. They are making a comeback.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
As a kid, we thought only very old folks wore them. They are making a comeback.
I dunno, I lived in Denmark from 1969 to 1974. That's a while ago.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Years ago when I was still working and living in town, we had bought a new stove that kept mal-functioning. I called the appliance company and they were to come out in the afternoon when I got home. On that day I was getting ready for work. As I was getting ready the doorbell rang and I went to the door and there was the appliance repairman. I let him in to the kitchen and noticed he kept smiling and thought he must indeed enjoy his work. When I got back to the bathroom the first thing I noticed was the pink stretch panties I had placed over my hair to do my face. I did not go back to let him out. I waited until he left to come out of the bathroom. Since then I always use a hairband to contain my hair.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia View Post
Years ago when I was still working and living in town, we had bought a new stove that kept mal-functioning. I called the appliance company and they were to come out in the afternoon when I got home. On that day I was getting ready for work. As I was getting ready the doorbell rang and I went to the door and there was the appliance repairman. I let him in to the kitchen and noticed he kept smiling and thought he must indeed enjoy his work. When I got back to the bathroom the first thing I noticed was the pink stretch panties I had placed over my hair to do my face. I did not go back to let him out. I waited until he left to come out of the bathroom. Since then I always use a hairband to contain my hair.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia View Post
You could have told him it was a new hat you were trying on. Or that you were preparing for old age in case you forgot which goes on which end.