Holiday Stress/Coping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I posted something like this last year and got blasted a bit so I'm hoping this doesn't create more strife. I'm hoping it will be more help than harm.

The last few weeks have been weird around here. People who normally seem even tempered posting things out of character, people sending nastiness to folks undeserving, people posting complete trash on the boards. I've been humming and doing my job here with lots of "goodwill toward man" in my heart, and now I'm finding it diminishing. In an effort to boost my flagging spirits I thought I'd post a thread where we can all support one another.

When my spirits get low I talk to some of my closest friends here at DC, and when they are busy or otherwise unavailable I put on some music and sing REALLY loudly. It helps. Snuggling my fuzzy friends in the house helps too.

So, whats causing stress for you and how do you cope?

WEATHER!!!! OH GOODNESS!!! WE don't do weather well here in seattle...and it's snowy and icy and COLD...now "they" are saying we will be having wind storms on top of it all. Winds between 70 and 90 miles an hour!!! Good bye power! Good bye internet! Good bye Tv! Goodbye lights! Good bye!!!!!!! FOR DAYS AND DAYS!!! We are always last on the list to get fixed...7 days last winter... Thank GOD we have propane for heat at least we'll have the fireplace working...and we can sleep next to it.

How do I cope... ummmm...cookies...chocolate... and DC when I have power...hugs from Paul all help. Kaluha in the hot cocoa doesn't hurt!

I posted something like this last year and got blasted a bit so I'm hoping this doesn't create more strife. I'm hoping it will be more help than harm.

The last few weeks have been weird around here. People who normally seem even tempered posting things out of character, people sending nastiness to folks undeserving, people posting complete trash on the boards. I've been humming and doing my job here with lots of "goodwill toward man" in my heart, and now I'm finding it diminishing. In an effort to boost my flagging spirits I thought I'd post a thread where we can all support one another.

When my spirits get low I talk to some of my closest friends here at DC, and when they are busy or otherwise unavailable I put on some music and sing REALLY loudly. It helps. Snuggling my fuzzy friends in the house helps too.

So, whats causing stress for you and how do you cope?

:) Are you talking about this board because I haven't noticed anything bad here?

No stress here my friend... just coasting through the holidays! I guess work is keeping me busy so I don't have time to be stressed about other things.

Alix, just count your blessings....keep that singing going and hug everyone/thing you can......all that is sooooo stress relieving......Have your Best Christmas ever.....

:) Are you talking about this board because I haven't noticed anything bad here?

That means I'm doing my job well, as are the other mods. Trust me, there has been some stuff posted here that really shouldn't have been. Glad you haven't seen any of the crabbiness, that makes me feel good.

UB, bourbon is good...I think I'll go with either mulled wine or brandy though in keeping with the season. (and I must be really loud if you hear me that far away! :LOL:)

pdswife, OMG...no INTERNET!!! Chocolate is critical in that instance! ;)

Hugs to you Ella! Merry Christmas to you and I hope it is a wonderful and healthy holiday for you this year.

Illness causes most of my stress.
My methods for coping with stress?
1. Massotherapy
2. Meditation
3. Baking
4. Helping others
5. Not procrastinating
6. Trying to put myself in other peoples' shoes
7. Cutting people slack, I am not perfect either
8. Being forgiving
9. Not expecting the worse in people but seeing their good
10. Counting my blessings

Great list! The only one I clearly have trouble with is #5 (see my oven cleaning thread) I'll look at fixing it later! ;)

The last few weeks have been weird around here. People who normally seem even tempered posting things out of character, people sending nastiness to folks undeserving, people posting complete trash on the boards. I've been humming and doing my job here with lots of "goodwill toward man" in my heart, and now I'm finding it diminishing.

Maybe it's not so much that people have posted things out of character, as much as their posts may have been PERCEIVED to be out of character. I was the recipient of chastisement by three admins recently because someone PERCEIVED that what I posted was malicious and/or deviant in nature, when in fact it was not. The Mods and Admins are not exempt from holiday stress syndrome just because of their status on the boards, so some introspection might be in order in the upper echelon as well as the rank & file.

I'm not pointing the finger out of anger because that accomplishes nothing. The incident is over, and I realized that it's someone else's problem if they thought I was weird, and not mine. I was ready to walk from DC, but that would have been an admission of guilt for bad behavior, when I'm only guilty of trying to make a joke that someone took personal offense to. We will always have people who search out reasons be offended, and that's their problem. It doesn't take long to see the pattern develop and identify these people. Yes, there are genuine weirdos out there who infiltrate all forums, and they should be seen to the door quickly. But established members usually don't fit in this mold.

None of us is perfect and we all have things going on in our lives that change our behavior from time to time. The holidays are no exception, but I would not attribute them to causing unusual behavior, real or perceived.

Don't allow others to take away your joy because of their actions. If you do so, they have accomplished their goal. The problem is theirs, and not yours. You just happen to be someone who volunteered to do a thankless job that can test anyone's mettle. As the saying gooes, "I wouldn't have your job for a million bucks!"

Merry Christmas

JoeV

Alix said:
UB, bourbon is good...I think I'll go with either mulled wine or brandy though in keeping with the season. (and I must be really loud if you hear me that far away! :LOL:)

You see, Uncle Bob Make-Um Good Medicine Sometimes -- Laughter!! ;)

Or maybe it's the stinky oven....It relieves stress too!!! :wacko:

:LOL:

Joe,
I was the recipient of chastisement by three admins recently because someone PERCEIVED that what I posted was malicious and/or deviant in nature, when in fact it was not.
I don't think we need to discuss this here do you? I have been intentionally vague so lets stick with that.

However, you illustrate my point nicely, thank you. Mods and Admins are definitely not proof against holiday stress. In fact, I think we can get MORE stressed simply by being Mods. We get to deal with the unintentional, (or intentional I suppose) fall out that other people post.

So, as stated previously...I like to play loud music and sing. Its pretty tough to keep me down for long.

Hey UB, the stinky oven is starting to make me laugh now. Or rather, YOU are making me laugh about my stinky oven. Thanks, you're a prince.

JoeV, I'm very glad you decided to stick around!

There were some really blatantly insulting posts recently (I couldn't believe they lasted as long as they did), but I didn't see anything offensive in any of your posts. I may have missed it, but I pretty much read whatever you write.

You are a valuable contributor!

As for coping with stress, holiday or otherwise, when I get home, I get into my pj's, have a glass of wine and try to find something funny on TV. Two and a Half Men is always good for a laugh!

Lee

I'll vote for Uncle Bob's method.

Or any other suitable bottle of something or other out of that particular cabinet in the house.
img_749921_0_a5b9108104dbbd5c9a5f266c45a48752.gif

hmm never noticed anything offensive... but then I am not easily offended

As far as holiday stress... I have never been a fan of x-mas and new years too much pressure. Now its even worse because I have to travel... I also have to figure out what to do with my dogs who are not welcome. I was seriously contemplating skipping x-mas all together but that wont fly with the fam. I would much rather have the couple days to deal with my own backlog.

Hmmm. I can see having to deal with puppy sitters would be tough. I wouldn't like to leave my babies alone over the holidays. Thats one I don't have to deal with thankfully.

You are all such a joy around here. We all have our moments, but really we all seem to muddle on through. (QSis, I missed those posts til the end there. Sorry! There are some threads that just slip past me occasionally. Got there eventually though.)

Hmmm. I can see having to deal with puppy sitters would be tough. I wouldn't like to leave my babies alone over the holidays. Thats one I don't have to deal with thankfully.

You are all such a joy around here. We all have our moments, but really we all seem to muddle on through. (QSis, I missed those posts til the end there. Sorry! There are some threads that just slip past me occasionally. Got there eventually though.)

I'll second, third and fourth that!
Would you hire a baby sitter who only pops in a couple times a day? They should call themselves pet checkers.

But I'm stressing myself out just thinking about it :wacko:

sorry to read of your stress Alix

singing and music works for me

as well as the occassional altered state of consciousness;)

I noticed recently that one of my posts was removed, but I am SURE that was not a case of my being out of line:ROFLMAO:. I believe that post removal was a first for me:rolleyes:.

we all will try to behave, won't we??:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom