"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-04-2007, 02:07 PM   #11
Master Chef

While there's certainly nothing wrong with cooking for your pets, it's suddenly reached top-of-the-pile because of the recent pet-food scare. Which is SO typical. Lots of people running around bumping into each other before they know the whole story.

This does NOT mean that everyone on the planet needs to start cooking for their pets, & it DEFINITELY IS something that can't be entered into lightly. Tossing some veggies, chicken or beef, & rice together does NOT constitute a balanced diet - yet some folks seem to think it does.

Before you start cooking for your dogs & cats, you DEFINITELY need to consult with your veterinarian, purchase vitamin/mineral supplements, & know for a FACT what constitutes a balanced diet. You can't just go by what's posted on the internet or the books that are now flooding the market on "making your own pet food". Use some common sense.

I had to cook for one of my dogs for 2 years, & there is a LOT more to it than what a lot of people would have you believe. Just because your pet stays alive via your home-cooked diet doesn't automatically mean it's the best thing for it.

In fact, there was a bit on the news yesterday where several vets were interviewed & pointedly said that if people want to cook for their pets until this situation is resolved, that's fine. They also said, however, that if people plan this as a lifelong thing, they need to contact their vet & be prepared for a lot more than tossing some meat, veggies, & rice together.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:07 PM   #12
Head Chef

I agree with Breezy. I barely have time to cook for 2 humans and if I had to add 2 dogs and 2 cats into the mix, I would go nuts.

I am going to try some organic canned chow. I heard the organic canned food does not contain any of the wheat glutton or plastic that is causing the problem. I feed my dogs dry chow but I add a spoonful of canned chow too.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #13
Senior Cook

My little schnauzer loves grapes, I limit her to one or two. She likes popcorn and pop cycles. My vet told me she was big boned not overweight.

later
Old 04-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #14
Executive Chef

In The Kitchen.I would continue taking care of this dog if the lady doesnt mind it will make you and the dog feel better.Poor thing if I was there I would hijack the creature and find it a new home.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:27 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Looks depressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
In The Kitchen.I would continue taking care of this dog if the lady doesnt mind it will make you and the dog feel better.Poor thing if I was there I would hijack the creature and find it a new home.
When I came home while ago, the dog was at the fence. I went over and petted him and he sure looks like he just doesn't care. They got the young dog few months ago and I feel he is depressed that they are paying attention to the new dog instead of him. This woman is type of person you don't suggest something to her because she has her own mind. Her sister told me that some time ago. Surprised me that the sister even commented about her sister. I sure do feel bad for the dog. Has not had easy life and to be so protec tive of the owners. But everyone here in family telling me people just don't feel the same way I do. You do! Thanks jpmcgrew I needed to hear someone agree with me. I am sitting here drinking some red wine hoping to ignore the way people treat their pets. Stupid!
Old 04-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Hate to burst your bubble but the wine will just make it worse.You could offer her money for the dog she might go for it.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #17
Head Chef

I read the article and many of my friends cook their dogs meals and this started way before the dog and cat scare.

I feed Jolie a dry food and it is not listed on any recall sheets. She is just fine and healthy as ever.

Thanks for sharing the article.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Hate to burst your bubble but the wine will just make it worse.You could offer her money for the dog she might go for it.
I know you are right! But how would that work with her living right next door? The dog would want to be with her?

you are right about the wine. Only makes matters worse. Just showing I am having a stupid pity party. No one understands me.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #19
Head Chef

You are a great humanitarian, true & kind. It was very kind of you to offer a meal to that dog and talking to it's owner. I don't know if you have pets. I will tell you that it is not a good idea to pet a dog that looks sick or disoriented. They might not recognize you and they may be afraid of anyone when they are not feeling well. You also have to take into consideration that you may be taking home a disease to your own pets.
It is better to contact an animal awareness group if you think neglect is severe. Pets are so loyal that they sometimes continue living to please and the vet will encourage the owner to get a new pet so the older one feels released.
Anyway, you did what was right for you given the moment. You were prompted by the Spirit to give and fulfilled that nicely.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:21 AM   #20
Master Chef

We are just holding off buying products that contain wheat gluten until they figure out what the problem is. Believe me, much as I love her, cooking for my dog isn't in my future. But at her age, having spent two years babying her mother through kidney failure isn't something I wish on anyone (to include me). She loves her dried food, and we have enough from before the 'scare' to last her awhile. We've put some dog treats on the back burner for now.