"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Dina, I have the same problem if I do any cardio type exercise in the evening. But, if I do some weight or resistance training at night, I have no problem sleeping.

I also have white noise in my bedroom. It can be a fan, an air filter, or a white noise machine. The fan can be a problem if you suffer from dry eye, but any background noise can help.

As others have mentioned, it's better not to lay in bed awake. If you don't fall asleep right away, get up and read or some other quiet activity. The bed is for sleeping or whoopie only.

Melatonin can help you establish a new sleeping pattern, too. 1 mg. taken an hour before bedtime can be very helpful. You only need to take it for a week at most. I find that alcohol will help me fall asleep quickly but then I wake up 2-4 hours later so it's not good for me as a sleep aid.

Good luck with this. Insomnia is very frustrating and tricky to address. I had it after each of my babies finally gave up night time feedings. They slept through but I found myself waking up all night long!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
On nights when I can't sleep, I too listen to Coast to Coast .
I've been listening to Coast to Coast since the mid 90's-The Art Bell era. Between alien abduction and shadow people and the threat of chupacabra, its a wonder I get any sleep at all!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #23
Master Chef

valerian & melatonin & prescriptions. i cannot sleep.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke king View Post
I've been listening to Coast to Coast since the mid 90's-The Art Bell era. Between alien abduction and shadow people and the threat of chupacabra, its a wonder I get any sleep at all!!!
Thanks for admitting it. I am happy to hear I am not alone. It surely does make me wonder why I do these things but just too interesting. I oft en wonder what these people look like! Good thing they can't see me either. Maybe they would wonder about my life too. I just like that show. My brother complains that he wants to sleep all day just so he can stay up and listen to the show. He is retired and not married can do that if he wants.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Did you catch Coast-To-Coast last night? Yikes. They had a woman on who took reincarnation, Christianity, UFOs, Kharma, and governments on other worlds and mish-mashed them into a belief system that works with the dead and their "negative energy."

Heck, I fell asleep after 20 minutes. Considering her diatribe, I figured I was the smartest man on three planets, and with that smug realization I dosed off immmediately...

Are they booking guests from bus stations again?
Old 09-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

have had trouble falling and staying asleep all my life. i have tried all the tricks and none of them work. so there it is. guess i have learned to live with it. babe
Old 09-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Babe, talk to your GNP or a good cognitive therapist (I have several, it's a team effort) for a med called "seroquel." It's a very 'clean' med, and there's no need for follow-up on your liver or heart.

A teeny little 25 milligram tab will put you out faster than my Cousin Bobbie at any event using multi-syllables.

And it doesn't leave that "morning after bruise" like those tranquilizer darts, trust me.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #28
Master Chef

also, try a snack before sleepy-bye. like & half a turkey sammich & milk. i'm usually kinda drowsy with thier tryptophan!!
Old 09-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
A small glass of brandy helps.
I'll second this motion....
'cept biggie size mine please!
Old 09-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Buller View Post
Did you catch Coast-To-Coast last night? Yikes. They had a woman on who took reincarnation, Christianity, UFOs, Kharma, and governments on other worlds and mish-mashed them into a belief system that works with the dead and their "negative energy."

Heck, I fell asleep after 20 minutes. Considering her diatribe, I figured I was the smartest man on three planets, and with that smug realization I dosed off immmediately...

Are they booking guests from bus stations again?
my brother must have list ened to it till the end because if he isn't up by noon I know he was up listening. I just don't know how he can stand those commercials. Don't they seem like they are getting more each month? If only I could just fast forward past them.