"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a good sized pantry, my problem is keeping things like tire irons, big jars of grease remover out in the garage..I even found a deflated tire we needed to save..It was rather tough to the tooth I keep all boxed items on one shelf, canned goods on another level, at the very top two shelves which are a u shaped is my serving platters,bowls and such, also things like a blender stick, mandolin,pannini press,extras for the cuisinart, ebelskiver pan,egg poacher,juice and tea pitchers,my raclette set,waffle irons,blenders..next shelf pastas,rice,on another shelf all things for baking,sugar,flour,polenta,at the bottom cleaning products, a tea cart with slow cooker and large baking dishes,one of 2 cast iron pots and lids.paper plates, napkins .I love my pantry and am rather selfish about anyone putting something in it. I think I've done a good job loading it myself...Oh yes there is a special place for the chocolate chips and candy and cookies for my little ones
kadesma

Old 07-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
Head Chef

Here's my pantry
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Here's my pantry

WOW, you sure are neat.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
DC Grandma

I keep like products together..and by color

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:35 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Here's my pantry
Geez Mama - You look like you're ready for WWIII :-)

Bob
Old 07-10-2009, 12:46 AM   #16
Master Chef

Well, no way is mine that organized. I organize my pantry (a fraction of what some have said, but huge compared with any other couple I know) and then my husband goes through and organizes it how he thinks it should be. I've given up. It is a turn of the century kitchen, and all I DO demand is that the food that is opened (i.e., oils, vinegars, sauces, spices) be in the cabinets near where I am cooking. The unopened ones can go in the pantry cabinet, which is actually somewhat subterrenean (it would take an entire line here to explain it) keeps the foods that are not going to be used more immediately. We still have disagreements (not often) when I go to look for an ingredient for a dish that should be in the kitchen, and have to go looking for it. It isn't that the "pantry" closet is that far away from where I keep the products that are already opened. Just that I want to be able to reach for something where I left it. We've moved every few years all of our lives (military) and, ironically, he used to do easily his share of the cooking. For some reason in recent years I've wound up cooking more and more and more (I'd say it used to be 60/40 and now it is 95/5), the less he cooks, the more he knows the better way to organize the kitchen. Great Scream Inserted Here.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #17
Master Chef

My pantry is fairly large (walk-in). My sisters all are jealous! I keep like things together. Cereal on one shelf, with tomato products and canned soups next to them. Staples like rice, pasta, flour, sugar etc. on the next shelf with canned veggies. Bottom shelf is canned meats, extra condiments (I buy some online and have to get a case). Under that is dogfood and a basket of cleaning supplies. I have those little wire shelves and used old baby wipes boxes to hold sauce packets and dried soup mix and Kool Aid. Another basket holds chips and nuts. I have a shelf for my slow cooker, waffle iron, rice cooker. It doesn't always stay neat, but I can usually find what I'm looking for.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:43 AM   #18
Head Chef

I organized my pantry - I made a computer table of where everything was by shelf and uprights. It worked pretty well. But I fell off the wagon and my darling DIL re-organized it for me....Bless her heart!

Her notion of organization meant what fits - not what goes together.

I need to organize my pantry!
Old 07-12-2009, 02:39 AM   #19
Head Chef

Thanks! It's not hard to keep it neat.