"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-03-2008, 01:02 AM   #71
Senior Cook

How many cars that actually run....? or how many nearly covered in kudzu?

Old 07-03-2008, 01:18 AM   #72
Executive Chef

We have two cars, one of which is on loan to a missionary friend back from Brazil for a few weeks. That car is going when we get it back! DW now takes the train to work after cycling the boys to school. I mostly cycle to work (unless I have too many things to carry). We are probably going to sell our caravan and then will be able to look at smaller cars. Otherwise get a smaller car when eldest is ready fro driving lessons

Old 07-03-2008, 01:41 AM   #73
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Ok, I have my mini van, Hubby has truck, dodge neon,and motorcycle, DD has one crashed blazer and just bought another blazer. So we have a total of 5 vehicals in the driveway(one not drivable) and one in the garage.All but one are paid off and old. I keep telling my hubby that is to many for only 3 people to drive. His logic is he needs the truck for when he wants to haul things, the neon was originally bought for my DD but she couldn't figure out how to drive a standard so hubby said he would keep it for when the weather is bad and he can't ride his bike to work. The bike he bought to save on gas. I drive my van all over, I run my yougest DD to all her sports.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:44 AM   #74
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pot clanger View Post
How many cars that actually run....? or how many nearly covered in kudzu?
Sheesh, around here the kudzu covers half of your car while you are stopped at the drive-through window at Taco Bell! Just kidding, but it sure is everywhere!

Growing up we had one car until my dad owned and managed his own store. Then we had our family car ('69 Caprice Classic) and a small truck, which he drove to work. My mom chose not to drive. In San Diego we walked a lot and took the bus. When we moved to Vista, in North San Diego County, there were no buses, so we walked a lot and took cabs if we needed to. Later we took the bus a lot and still walked.

James and I live in the country. We could walk to town, but it wouldn't be a fun walk. The only public transportation in our tiny town are a few taxi-cabs. We had a 1996 Toyota Corolla (bought in 1997). A few years ago we bought a 1992 Geo Storm on ebay. James was driving that one to school, and I was using the Toyota. On May 30th we bought a 2007 Chrysler 300 (our intent was always to buy a year-old car--almost new, but much cheaper) and gave the Toyota to my best friend. The Storm needs a little work (it currently stalls quite a bit), so we use the 300 when we go somewhere together. I'm more scared to stall in intersections than James is, so when we each need a car, he takes the Storm and I take the 300. We chose the 300 because we want something more comfortable for James to ride in, and we plan to take it on our vacation. Its gas mileage isn't as good as the Toyota's, but it isn't too bad either. The storm gets good mileage. When more work has been done on it and we can depend on it more, we plan to use it more.

Another thing is, I'm not working right now. I stay home a lot, but I need a car to shop, go to the post office, etc. James is getting ready to start a new job. If and when I get another job, we will each definitely need a car.

Barbara
Old 07-03-2008, 02:55 AM   #75
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
...His logic is he needs the truck for when he wants to haul things...
James keeps saying he would like a truck. When I ask him why, he says the same thing, that he needs to haul things. I asked him, "How many times do you need to haul something? Maybe once or twice a year at the most? You can borrow a friend's truck for that!"

Barbara
Old 07-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #76
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
It's funny because everyone in our family owns a truck, and I keep telling him to sell his and just borrow one if he needs to, but he says I hate borrowing stuff. I'm just going to keep mine.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:35 AM   #77
Sous Chef

4, One each, last in first out so I'm always first in and they're all Toyota's
Old 07-03-2008, 07:07 AM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
When I was little (about 10) we had only one, my Dad worked a block from the house and Mom worked from home.... Never had 2 until my Grandpa died and we inherited his '76 Granada.
The first "family vehicle" was a '69 Camaro! I really wish they would've kept that when we moved here. :( Instead tey kept that yucky old Granada.... I think learning to drive with the Camaro woulda been MUCH more fun!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #79
Head Chef

Now I am thinking carpool. There is a woman one street over from me going to school too. She drops her baby off on my street. Hmmmm instead of just a wave maybe I'll could stick my thumb out.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #80
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
Now I am thinking carpool. There is a woman one street over from me going to school too. She drops her baby off on my street. Hmmmm instead of just a wave maybe I'll could stick my thumb out.
Not a bad idea, at all. When it comes to carpooling, you have to find people as dedicated to conservation as you are. You could take turns. She could pick you up one week, and leaver her car parked in your driveway another week (since she has the baby to drop off). Good luck with that.