"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #11
Master Chef
english, spanish, german, some french. not fluent, know enough to get by.

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
English and teenager.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef
Used to be English and Armenian but with the older generation gone, no chance to keep up the skill. So now it's just English.

Unlike the Most Interesting Man In The World who can speak French ...in Russian.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #14
Head Chef
I've studied french, can understand it sometimes, cannot speak much of it. (4 years of study)
I can speak half of one language.
I can translate geekspeak:

(geek) Are you buying that for FGT (finished goods tracking) or protraq? [barcoding equipment]
(me) Both, they use the same equipment.
(geek) could you get me something for dual monitors? [on one computer]
(me) Sure a card or a USB to VGA? [dual monitor card or a cable]

(geek) Could you boot my computer it must have shut down when it updated and I can't vnc in. [log in from another computer into desktop]
(me) yes, I turned it on and it liked it.
(geek) there's gonna be trouble if I find you've downloaded from my scsi (scussi) port. [joke]
(me) are you talkin' naughty to me?

(geek) can you get me 2 sticks of 4 GB ram for my computer? It's 'this' kind of computer. [You are an idiot, just try to do that, my computer can't even use that kind of ram.]
(me) Oh, so sorry, not today, I'm all booked up.

(Sales Manager) I can scan this old document but I wish I could change it.
(me) I can run OCR (optical character recognition) on it, and you'll be able to change it if you like.
(sales manager) I never understand a word you say.!!! Never mind, this is good enough.
(me) okay then.

(friend) I think it is nice you put me on the mailing list for a joke a day. Problem is I can't figure out how to see the joke, how does it work?
(me) did you scroll down, to read it?
(friend) how do you scroll down?
(me) see that bar at the top on the right, pull it down with your mouse and you'll be able to see the rest of the message. [This was after 6 months of receiving joke of the day--I thought it was memorably adorable.]
(friend) AHHHHHH that's how it works. (never be afraid to ask questions!)

Everyday is a learning experience! I was reading the police blotter for our little town and a 17 year old was cited with 'uttering'. She presented a check from her parents, claimed it was hers and it was good (uttering)--this is called UTTERING (legal term) and it is against the law. (she didn't even have to pass the check on to be cited) I had never heard that term before. Interesting.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

Unlike the Most Interesting Man In The World who can speak French ...in Russian.
That cracks me up every time I hear it.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #16
Head Chef
None really but I keep trying English. Any suggestions! :)
David Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
Master Chef
German of course -- and a bit of english ;o)
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #18
Master Chef
English, Japanese, and about 200 words in Spanish.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #19
Head Chef
Three - English, AmSign and piglatin if that counts lol
Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Oregon native transplanted to Chicago....
lindatooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:45 AM   #20
Sous Chef
For me, just 2 - English and Russian (my undergrad degree is in Russian Lang.) I consider fluent only if you can debate a speeding ticket, give a cooking class and understand a sermon. I can carry on a basic conversation in French, German, and Italian as well.

Dh, in order of fluency - Armenian, Turkish, English, German, French. The first two are his native languages (Armenian born and raised in Turkey).

Dd, in order of fluency - English, Spanish (she attends a language immersion school), Armenian (one of the home languages).

We are a family that puts great importance on bi and multilingualism.

Life is too short to eat processed, artificially-colored, chemically-preserved, genetically-modified food. Or maybe that IS why life's too short.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote