"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-26-2005, 05:22 PM   #1
Head Chef

How many of you eat too much?

I've really been trying to work hard on not over eating. I find at times that his is REALLY hard. For the most part, I don't eat til I'm 110% stuffed all the time. I try to follow the 80% rule.

I find though that I stress eat and eat out of boredom (probably like many others).

Anyone have tips on how they keep themselves from overeating? That is putting your spoon/fork down while at the meal table?

Not sure if this is supposed to be under the special diets area...since it's not directly related to food. ?

Old 08-26-2005, 05:27 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I stuff myself to the gills usually, but I find that if I slow down then I do not eat as much. I think it takes about 20 minutes for your body to register the fact that you are full, so if you take your time eating you will feel full after eating less food. My problem is that when the food is yummy I end up shoveling it in

Old 08-26-2005, 05:31 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

It's harder in restaurants, where it's so common to get oversized portions of everything.

Especially if you come from the "clean your plate, there are starving children in China/Africa" school of parenting.

I try to go by the one plate rule. No seconds.

Unless you count that little juicy bit of meat with some browned fat clinging to it that was left in the skillet..................
Old 08-26-2005, 05:46 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug

I try to go by the one plate rule. No seconds.
You have not seen the size of my plates
Old 08-26-2005, 05:50 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

LMK(keister)O, geebs!

But you haven't seen my plates, either..............
Old 08-26-2005, 05:51 PM   #6
Contest Winner

Wink

I am there right with you, Barbara and I just started doing something that helped us before but we got of it to soon. We were winning the battle by eating TV dinners for portion control. Its all about shrinking your stomach and then learning what you can eat. I use to think eating one or two meals a day was going to help. Now they have found eating 6 times a day but small and I do mean TV dinner (normal size please) is much better. This will also help with sugar and insulin balance. The real truth is excercise is what is going to lose the weight and maintain it, of course eating right is important too. The problem for me is genetic. I need to be tricked into exercise because I am not a fan of doing it just to be doing it. I wish I had that rush that some people do but I don't. I want to swim so bad I can taste the bleach LOL! I love doing things like golf ,metal detect,swim,tennis,bowl,fish"not much exercise here ", baseball, football,softball, basketball,foosball,hockey,horseshoes,cards,board games,curling,field events,boxing,wrestling,racing, Croquet, and about anything else including soccer but I am not very good at this. If anyone close by is ready to play here I am.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:08 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Mudbug here is a picture of our large plates. I put a dinner fork in the picture for perspective, but I am not sure if it really shows how large they are. They do not even fit in our dish washer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5962.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	331  
Old 08-26-2005, 06:12 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

gulp. I think you win, geebs!
Old 08-26-2005, 06:19 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

OK I was just showing off a bit. We don't really use those normally. We did buy them as our dinner plates originally, but since they were so big and didn't fit in the dishwasher we decided we could not really use them. They also had salad plates and dessert plates in the same style. We use the salad plates as our dinner plates and the dessert plates as salad plates. The salad plates are still very large, but closer to a normal size. We kept four of the large ones as platters. We also have two platters and those are just gigantic.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:23 PM   #10
Head Chef

I sometimes wonder if your body naturally goes on strike?? I go to a local hot pot spot for lunch (think Asian fondue, instead of cheese/bread/veggies, it's meat/veggies/noodles). It's a buffet, go up as many times as you'd like. I found that w/in the last couple weeks, somehow when I eat there, I only go up to the bar once. I pile my plate w/ good stuff, then find when I'm done, I'm full. Not stuffed, but jsut right. 3 months ago, I would have went 2xs. Not sure what the diff is now...??

Sure not complaining though! You would think that as uncomfortable as overeating can get, we would never do it! That's surely not the case for me. I'm trying to learn to leave stuff on my plate if I get too full. My problem is I feel guilty for not finishing stuff. All the stuff parents say about people starving...well in my house that was said too, but it was literal, Vietnam: Grandma & Auntie. If I can't finish something I usually try to pack it away for the next meal/snack.