How to explain to a 4 year old...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
our oldest cat, doodie, is dying. she may not make it through the day. she has a tumor by her kidneys.

this happens to be my son's favourite cat. until a week ago, he slept with her on a pillow above his head every night.

a few weeks ago, he and i were looking over some old pictures and he saw (and amazingly remembered) another one of our cats that passed before he was 2.
he asked where she was, and i explained that she got old and sick, and went to heaven. he didn't really get that, but understood that he hasn't seen her for a long time, and won't anymore.

then i briefly approached the subject of doodie getting old and sick, and he just made a big sad face, instantly tearing up and shaking his head "no".

so i changed the subject.

we didn't think that this would happen so fast. she was still running around just last week. the doc says because of her age, there's nothing that can be done. she's not in pain, but is uncomfortable, and is not eating. hopefully, she'll go quickly in her bed at home.

but how do i explain this to a 4 year old? any suggestions?

these are the times when life sucks.

I wish I had a good suggestion, but I am jut as clueless. I a watching this topic with interest because it is just a matter of time until we have to explain the same thing, but wit my grandfather.

I wish you luck and strenghth bucky and my heartfelt sympathies for when the time comes.

KHlogo_printarticle.gif
line.jpg
When a Pet Dies

For most kids, pets are more than just animals their families own — pets are considered members of the family and the best of friends.
Unfortunately, the joy of owning a pet goes hand-in-hand with the heartbreak of losing one. Whether it's because of old age, illness, or an accident, the pet your child loves will die at some point.
And that can be very difficult. After all, family pets often are the first to greet kids in the morning and after school. Your pet may be the one your child looks to for comfort and companionship when ill or feeling unpopular or upset.
While it's impossible to shelter kids from the loss of a pet, you can help them cope with the experience. And because a pet's death might be their first time losing a loved one, the process of learning how to deal with it can help kids learn how to cope with other losses throughout life.
Sharing the News and the Grief

One of the most difficult parts about losing a pet may be breaking the bad news to your child. Try to do so one-on-one in a place where your child feels safe and comfortable and isn't easily distracted.
As you would with any tough issue, try to gauge how much information your child needs to hear based on his or her age, maturity level, life experience, and the questions that your child asks.
If your pet is very old or has a lingering illness, consider talking to your child before death actually occurs. If you have to euthanize your pet, you may want to explain that:
  • the veterinarians have done everything that they can
  • your pet would never get better
  • this is the kindest way to take the pet's pain away
  • the pet will die peacefully, without feeling hurt or scared
Again, your child's age, maturity level, and questions will help determine whether you might want to offer a clear and simple explanation for what's going to happen. If so, it's OK to use words like "death" and "dying" or to say something like "The veterinarian will give our pet a shot that first puts it to sleep and then stops the heart from beating." Many kids want a chance to say goodbye beforehand, and some may be old enough or emotionally mature enough to be there to comfort the pet during the process.
If you do have to euthanize your pet, be careful about telling your child that the animal went "to sleep” or "got put to sleep." Young kids tend to interpret events literally, so this can conjure up scary misconceptions about sleep or surgery and anesthesia.
If the pet's death is more sudden, calmly explain what has happened. Be brief, and let your child's questions guide how much information you provide.
Avoid trying to gloss over the event with a lie. Telling a child that "Buster ran away" or "Max went on a trip" is not a good idea. It probably won't alleviate the sadness about losing the pet, and if the truth does come out, your child will probably be angry that you lied.
If asked what happens to the pet after it dies, draw on your own understanding of death, including, if relevant, the viewpoint of your faith. And since none of us knows fully, an honest "I don't know" certainly can be an appropriate answer — it's OK to tell kids that death is a mystery.
Helping Your Child Cope

Like anyone dealing with a loss, kids usually feel a variety of emotions besides sadness after the death of a pet. They might experience loneliness, anger if the pet was euthanized, frustration that the pet couldn't get better, or guilt about times that they were mean to or didn't care for the pet as promised.
Help kids understand that it's natural to feel all of those emotions, that it's OK to not want to talk about them at first, and that you're there when they are ready to talk.
Don't feel compelled to hide your own sadness about losing a pet. Showing how you feel and talking about it openly sets an example for kids. You show that it's OK to feel sad when you lose a loved one, to talk about your feelings, and to cry when you feel sad. And it's comforting to kids to know that they're not alone in feeling sad. Share stories about the pets you had — and lost — when you were young and how difficult it was to say goodbye.
Moving On

After the shock of the news has faded, it's important to help your child heal and move on.
It can help kids to find special ways to remember a pet. You might have a ceremony to bury your pet or just share memories of fun times you had together. Write a prayer together or offer thoughts on what the pet meant to each family member. Share stories of your pet's funny moments or escapades. Offer lots of loving hugs. You could do a project, too, like making a scrapbook.
Keep in mind that grieving over the loss of a pet, particularly for a child, is similar to grieving over a person. For kids, losing a pet who offered love and companionship can be much more difficult than losing a distant relative. You might have to explain that to friends, family members, or others who don't own pets or don't understand that.
Perhaps most important, talk about your pet, often and with love. Let your child know that while the pain will eventually go away, the happy memories of the pet will always remain. When the time is right, you might consider adopting a new pet — not as a replacement, but as a way to welcome another animal friend into your family.
Reviewed by: Jennifer Schroff Pendley, PhD
Date reviewed: August 2006

line.jpg

we just went through this with two dogs in the last year ...
we told our son that brutus was very old and had lived a
very good life .. and that soon he would be a star in the sky
to watch over him .. he was upset but he understood ..
when brutus did pass .. he was not home .. but we told him
when he got home from school .. he then wanted to sit outside
until it was dark to see his star ..
good luck to you .. it is always hard to explain these things ..

Sorry to hear about your cat, BT. And no experience with kids, so can't help you there.... Tough situation you're in for sure. I'm sure everyting will work out.

we just went through this with two dogs in the last year ...
we told our son that brutus was very old and had lived a
very good life .. and that soon he would be a star in the sky
to watch over him .. he was upset but he understood ..
when brutus did pass .. he was not home .. but we told him
when he got home from school .. he then wanted to sit outside
until it was dark to see his star ..
good luck to you .. it is always hard to explain these things ..

What a great idea about the stars. I think that is brilliant.

Aw Bucky I'm sorry to hear about this. I wish I had some advice to give to you but Billy was a little bit older when we had Max put down. 4 is a tough age when it comes to something like this. It will be tough. But I think the right thing will just come to you.
Stay strong for your little guy.

Our kids have been there for two dogs passing. I must have somehow got lucky because each time they took 'last' photos of themselves with the dogs, and seem to understand perfectly that the dogs are in heaven waiting for them. It seems to give them a goal in life to try and be good so they can go to heaven and see the dogs again. They also went with us when we put the dogs down, hugging them and saying goodbye and then watching as they put the dog to sleep. Then they give Daddy some time to say goodbye by himself and go out to wait and look at the other doggies there.
Abby is 3, and if you ask her where Ophelia is, she will tell you, "Phe is in heaven and if you are good someday you will get to see her, but only if you are good as she can only see good people now."
The only thing I said was that, "Dogs do not live as long as we do. She has lived a full life, and it is time for her to pass on and go to heaven." They ran with it and came up with the rest on their own. I saw no harm in what they felt, so I let em go with it.

I get a lot of guff from people about letting my kids go with us and see this, but I tell them this is a very personal experience that differs greatly from family to family, so judging what one family does as opposed to what another does is a pretty ignorant thing to do.
Best I can tell you BT is when the time comes just 'talk' with him about it, and let him be a pat of the conversation as opposed to trying to spend most of the time explaining it to him. He probably already has ideas of his own forming, so you have to set your own boundaries based on what you know about him and yourself, and then let him wander freely within those boundaries.
Good luck and I am sorry to hear about your cat. When she gets to heaven have her look up my Airy (our collie that passed in 04), she always loved to play with cats. And if she needs a pal to watch her back, she can look up Ophelia, she always protected our cat Oscar for us.

BT, you have my sympathies.

Your son is fortunate to have you for love and support at this critical time. It's never easy to lose a pet and it's especially hard when that pet has been there your whole life and you are too young to understand what is happening.

Bucky, I'm so sorry to hear about this, and I feel even badder for your son.

It IS extremely difficult to accept or deal with, especially for a little boy who is so used to having her around to play with and sleep with.

I haven't had this happen to me, but I know friends and relatives who have had to face it. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your little boy.

Mav, that's really well said.

Bucky - I'm so sorry, not only for seeing your son sad, but also knowing you'll be without a loved part of your family. Even though he's 4, he knows a lot. I think telling him the facts, in the way that a 4-year old can understand, is the best. I'd tell him that for each year a person lives, the cat has (__) years. (sorry, I know dogs are 7, but not too sure on cats) Then explain how old the cat is in kitty years. Remind him to pet doodie gently, and to say "I love you". Maybe he could draw a picture of "kitty heaven" and tell the cat that it's a wonderful place.
I have a dear friend who had a son who passed away at birth. The other children were most helped when they could draw pictures of him, in heaven, being protected and loved. Those pictures hang in the playroom.

This is bringing tears to my eyes, I'm so sorry Tom. I don't have much experience with children but Mav's advice would be the best I think, and I think the star idea is brilliant. Losing a furry member of the family is difficult, especially when you see how much it breaks a child's heart.

Very well put, Maverick. I think you are perfectly right in letting your whole family be a part of this.
One thing I thought of this morning when I read this, but don't know if a 4 yo could grasp, is saying that pets aren't on earth as long as people are because it doesn't take them as long to learn how to love.

i'm sorry, bucky, fer you & your kiddo. losing a pet is rough.
i love that star in the sky post. that's very gentle, & your 4-year-old could see his kitty any night he wanted to, in that huge sky with all those stars keeping kitty company.

Buckytom, kids have more capacity to understand than we give them credit for. My personal theory is that kids come from heaven and haven't forgotten it quite yet. Remember that story about dogs? Why they only live a short time? The kid in that story told his mom that the reason humans live a long time is to learn how to live a good life and love everyone, dogs already know all that stuff so they don't have as long on earth. Same with kitties.

Just be honest with him. It hurts like heck, but its the best way. Be with him, hug him and wipe his tears and share yours with him too. Kids need to see its OK to grieve, and boys especially need to know it isn't weak to grieve for something you love. Sending you a virtual hug my friend. I'm so sorry for you guys, it hurts so much to lose a member of your family like that.

Oh wow, BT, I hope you don't have to work this weekend!

I'm very sorry to hear about the sadness you and your family are going through with your kitty.

The advice of the others sounds great to me.

Sending you positive energies.

Lee

thank you, everyone.

i don't have much to say. this is gonna be rough.

but thanks from the bottom of my heart.

Bucky- I also would like to extend my sympathy to all of you. The poor little guy is so young to have to deal with grief so soon.There is no easy way. Just hold him close answer his questions honestly as you can-even if the answer is I don't know and let all the tears flow.Let the grief run it's course but, don't forget to remember and celebrate Doodie's time with your family.My love and lots of energy to your whole family, Vicki

Oh, bucky. This makes my heart heavy. Buck and I know how much it hurts to lose a furry family member. You've been given some wonderful advice and I don't think I could add much more to it.

You all will just have to grieve and cry together. Maybe you could go to the toy/department store and buy him a stuffed "Doodie" to love and talk to. It's amazing how beautiful some of the stuffed kitties are these days.

Buck and I are holding you all close and sending big, loving hugs.

Back
Top Bottom