"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-18-2008, 09:22 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

You've gotten some wonderful advice..I've been there and it's rough to have to rack your brain, to decide what to feed you gang, then shop for it,then clean up while the other go enjoy the rest of their day.. STOP.....
Now is the time to do something different because..sounds like your family is so use to your wonderful meals, they are taking you for granted..Ever thought of putting the ingredients out and letting them make dinner for you? Bet,after several days of this, things will change..I've seen some of your recipes and feel it would be a shame to see you give in to this..If you need a break, hows about some wonderful sandwiches and light cool or hot soups, a great big meat or chicken salad and involve the kids who can in making it...have some nice warm bread or muffins with that salad, but let them know you expect someone who hasn't helped with dinner to clean up and YOU go take a stroll, go to a movie, sit in the backyard and read..Just take it easy...You arefar to good a cook to get down on yourself..And, I'd leave a note or sit the family down and let them know a well place hug and kiss or just a thanks mom or honey would really mean a lot..or else they need to HIRE a cook
kadesma

Old 04-18-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I'm going through something really big lately. I have totally lost my interest in cooking. No matter how hard I try to organize my recipes, my food doesn't come out right like it used to. My family doesn't compliment me anymore surely because I'm not putting any effort in it. It becomes a tedious job to cook and clean up. Could it be that I'm just fed up with cleaning up that I'm getting burned out? Has anyone experienced this before and if so, how did you make it better? I'm hoping this is just a phase I'm going through. I want to get passionate about cooking again (which is something I feel was my biggest strength) so my family and I can enjoy our meals again.
Yep, your fed up with the cleaning! I hear you dear girl. I think the only thing that could possibly help is to include your family in cooking and cleaning because mom needs a break!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
It's just the cooking "doldrums" and, as others have said, we're all there at one time or another. One thing I suggest is not to get too wrapped up in being there. Just ride it out and things will change. You might also be suffering case of "spring fever." It can getcha!

Hang in there. There are better days ahead and you'll get your game back on again.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Talking

it will pass one day when u are not looking or thinking about it. there u will be cooking up a storm.happens to me , cause i only cook for myself and sometimes worry why i bother. lol

babe
Old 04-18-2008, 11:23 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I like to look at menus and go and eat something different and then look at more menus! More inspiring than cookbooks I find as you get to see a chef's creation and use his/her inspiration which is often missing in cookbooks.

But it happens to me with regularity!
Old 04-18-2008, 11:55 PM   #16
Head Chef

Food has been my lively hood for more years than I want to think about and I have found my self getting in a rut and my desire to cook just fades away. That is when I go eat some body else's cooking read a new cook book, talk to my fellow chef's and then I find inspiration to get back to the stove and whale away.. It won't last so take it easy on your self, we all live in cycles yours will come back. Like some one said let them all eat hamburger for a week or two
Old 04-19-2008, 02:15 AM   #17
Executive Chef

I'd say you're burned out and that seems to be the consense. Why is it it falls on one shoulder - yours? I say, 1) have a family cooking night. Have each one - no matter what age, participate. 2) Or pick one family member one night a week to make the menu decisions - even if it's dessert 1st, and you help them with the prep and they stick around for the clean up. 3) Or have a quick and easy sup for the kids on a saturday night; mac and cheese and salad, or, better yet - ship them out, and have a simple meal - steak and baked potato and salad in the diningroom (with candles and cloth napkins) and carry the conversation through to the kitchen for clean up. Let him do the steaks on the grill while you do the other.

Whatever, good luck (you might suggest they all do a meal minus the mom one night a week or month - let them have fun and cleanup and take care of you. Thanks, mom night)

quicksilver
Old 04-19-2008, 02:36 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I almost forgot... go buy yourself a very small book called
"I've Got to Talk to Somebody God" by Marjorie Holmes.
Its her everyday thoughts about everyday life. I bought
mine in 1970 for $1.25, but it has been priceless!
quicksilver
Old 04-19-2008, 02:38 AM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I don't cook for a family, so I'll leave that part of the equation to the experts.

As for getting your passion back, I like find a free Saturday or Sunday, do a little shopping and prep work the night before, and then cook my butt off all day long. Try to find something that takes a long time and that you know you're good at. I challenge myself to make it better than I've ever made it before. The challenge of trying to best myself is usually enough to get me back in the swing of things.

At some point, I think cooking can become too mechanical and mundane, and we start treating it like a chore; mindless work that we dont really need to think about when we do it because we already know how. I think that however you do it, the goal is to get your mind back in it, and back thinking about the right way to do things. Is this the proper heat for a great sear, am I seasoning enough, should I leave that chicken in the oven a minute longer or let carry-over finish the work? You'll start remembering the 'right way' to do things instead of simply doing things just to get them done.

Don't worry, however you decide to get back in it, it will happen sooner or later. I don't know if this applies to anyone else, but it's usually immediately following a slump that I get the most inspired to cook some amazing food.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

how about going out to eat in different restaurants (as you can afford, of course), and trying new dishes that you might have not in the past.

that always seems to get me into the mood to cook; to try to create or re-create dishes in those themes at home.