"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
Master Chef

I am not a happy man

Friday evening, a pipe broke just after the pressure tank, making my house dry. Fortunately, we always keep several gallons of water stored just for such an emergency. It cost me about $50 in supplies and tools to repair my plumbing last Saturday. But my water is great again.

Got home from work yesterday to falling temperatures in my house. My wife went to Wal mart and purchased a ceramic heat because the furnace quit working. It's an Olson Ultra Max high efficeincy gas furnace that has given me very little trouble over the last 20 years. There are two blowers on the furnace, one to take outside air and feed it into the combustion chamber, and then exhaust it outside. The other blower moves air through a heat exchanger and through the house. The first blower is the one that went bad. Price - should have been around $300 or so. But, the manufacturer that made the blower went our of business 10 years ago, and there are no compatible replacement blowers offered by Olson. The Furnace guy said my only option is to replace the furnace for $2400!

I'm going to get the part number of that blower and see if I can find one on Ebay, or anywhere else. I'll post it here, when I get it, just in case anyone has a spare, or a discarded furnace that might have that blower.

Wish me luck. $2400 is a very hard pill to swallow on my budget.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

$2400 used to buy you air-conditioning installed by a contractor and then some, but the new SEER rating put into effect a few years ago really raised the price of appliances and such. It's hard to believe there's not a universal blower motor available though.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:48 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Good luck mate, try this it may help1987 duomatic olsen hi-efficiency ultramax furnace [Archive] - DoItYourself.com Community Forums if the link does not work just goolee the name of your unit and include forum I find cheap ways to fix most things that way
Old 03-02-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
Head Chef

Sorry - no help here, but much sympathy. Good luck with your search.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Sous Chef

If it's a fan on the intake side then you can put something together quite easy. If it's a fan in the exhaust ducting you have to be a bit more careful due to heat ratings and possible leaks.

Draft fans for the intake are also fairly inexpensive.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Does the motor of the blower have a NEMA code and can you just replace the motor?
Old 03-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Does the motor of the blower have a NEMA code and can you just replace the motor?
Thanks everyone, and to Bolas for the site address. My next move is to try and replace the inducer motor. But the unit is going to be difficult to disassemble as there are no screws or bolts holding anything together. but I'm a pretty creative guy, with an engineering background. Wish me luck.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
Certified Cake Maniac

Good luck, GW. That is all I can give you 'cause this isn't my area of expertise. I am glad there are others who can help.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
Head Chef

Much luck to you, GW!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
Head Chef

GW, hope you are getting things straightened out. A Michigan winter is no place to be without a furnace, especially in the Soo. My heartfelt sympathies.