"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyWater View Post
I went to Weight Watchers today. I almost cried.
Why did you almost cry??

Old 08-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
How's the exercise going GB?

Old 08-09-2008, 11:42 PM   #43
Chief Eating Officer

We are still going strong. We have been shooting for 7 days a week, but usually get 6 in which is what we realistically expected. This past week we missed 2 days (thurs and fri) due to illness, weather, and some other things. We planned on walking longer today and tomorrow, but today on our walk we were both hurting and decided we would just do our normal 30 minutes. I am guessing we will do the same tomorrow.

I have notices my belly getting smaller. Not a huge amount, but enough that I can see a difference. That helps to motivate me to keep doing this. Plus I feel really good about myself that I am doing something good for myself and my family. That is the biggest motivator.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:39 AM   #44
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Great to hear GB. DH and I have been walking/jogging 45-50 minutes each time. We hope to increase it to an hour tomorrow. We also noticed that our energy is high and our clothes is fitting better.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:44 AM   #45
Chief Eating Officer

That is awesome Dina. Keep up the great work!
Old 08-10-2008, 01:06 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

my grandmother started walking 3 miles a day a few years ago to get in shape.

we have no idea where she could be today.

good going gb. i know what you mean about not recognizing your image in a window or mirror.

keep at it, and you'll be a happy, healthy old grandpa for your family someday. a ripped, lean and mean old grandpa.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
my grandmother started walking 3 miles a day a few years ago to get in shape.

we have no idea where she could be today.

good going gb. i know what you mean about not recognizing your image in a window or mirror.

keep at it, and you'll be a happy, healthy old grandpa for your family someday. a ripped, lean and mean old grandpa.
buckytom, you better look for grandma. She might be wondering where you are? I bet you had a real sharp grandma. Bet she knew how to cook too. I think rockers for old people are thing of past. Now they are on treadmills. Guy where I go is 93 swimming everyday and does 20 chinups. May not get to be on cover of GQ magazine but how does he get ready everyday and remember where the pool is? He walks without any limps too. Makes me sure feel old compared to him. If I start doing chin up now maybe by 93 I can do 20. Another goal to strive for.

Exercising sure gives you different outlook. One thing is does for me is allow me to not take so many depression medicine. Have cut down on the wine too.

I wish you all the determination of these kids in the Olympics. Did you see what Phelps stomach look like? Wow! and more wow. When you get there GB promise to send picture. Just move all that is required.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #48
Head Chef

I wouldn't stress too much about missing a night. Fitness is a disciplined lifestyle rather than a goal with a singular point of achievement. Yes, you need to say 'no' to yourself sometimes, and you can't let your lifestyle or the good habits you are developing seem like a tedious necessity restricting your life. If you don't walk every day, you're still walking a heckova lot more than you used to. That's gotta be good, right?

Same advice in regard to diet (the companion of exercise). Just be aware of your portion size and your approximate caloric intake each day. Eat what you want, but just be aware of the caloric density and account for it in your daily 'budget'. And you can strive to eat more fresh, whole, nutrient-rich foods... if you are able to improve your diet, you'll improve your health and your weight.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #49
Senior Cook

I have been exercising for the past 3yrs. Aerobic exercise 3days a week and weight lifting 3 days.

The biggest benefit I see is an overall feeling of being fit, I started eating rolled oats and continued with flax seed and I have lowered my chlorestral 27 pts in the past year.

Everyone doesn't have the time for a great exercise program but anything you do will make you feel better.

later
Old 08-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #50
Master Chef

Hey GB... I found this interesting. I'm not sure what you do with your walks, but when I go running I do lots of interval running. My third mile I use the light posts that are around the track, they are spaced every 10 feet or so. I run 10 of the light posts as hard as I can and then walk for 6. I do this the entire mile. The same can be applied to walking.