"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #51
Chief Eating Officer

I will have to watch that when I get home. I am guessing it talks about alternating fast and slower walking maybe?

What we do is walk at a moderately fast pace. Fast enough that we sweat and have to concentrate on breathing. There are 4 hills that we go up, 3 of them are substantial. We do go a little slower on those of course. We also take turns pushing the stroller which is an additional 55-60 pounds with the kids in it.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:05 PM   #52
Master Chef

Yes, it talks about varying the pace of your walk. That you could benefit more (so it says) if you walked as fast as you can for 30 seconds, then slow it down for a bit (can't remember if it said to match the time interval for fast and slow paces). I'm going to try it when I walk to my cardio classes.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:09 PM   #53
Chief Eating Officer

I did read something discouraging the other day about a study that said that 30 minutes of exercise is not enough to make a real difference and that it needs to be an hour to make any significant change. I forgot who did the study, but it was a reputable university I believe. I chose not to tell my wife about that one, especially since I do not really believe it. I can see a change already and it has only been 3 weeks.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I did read something discouraging the other day about a study that said that 30 minutes of exercise is not enough to make a real difference and that it needs to be an hour to make any significant change. I forgot who did the study, but it was a reputable university I believe. I chose not to tell my wife about that one, especially since I do not really believe it. I can see a change already and it has only been 3 weeks.
the instructor at the class I go to just mentioned last evening consistency is the main thing. Also only 30 minutes is what Dr Oz on Oprah mentioned. Your body will wake up to something happening. I just feel more 'toned' and not flabby as I have remained the same weight for more than 3 years.

Once again, keep moving GB, don't give up.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:21 PM   #55
Chief Eating Officer

No giving up here! Even if my body did not change, I love that I feel good about myself for doing something (even if it is the minimum) to try to improve myself physically. The bonus is that I am seeing a change in my body. My stomach is getting smaller which is exactly what I wanted. It is not a major change yet, but I knew it would not be. My pants size is still the same, but when I see my reflection I look a little more like the GB I used to see.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #56
Master Chef

I very rarely have 30 minute workouts. My cardio workouts including my walk to and from class are around 2 hours. Then my running is usually around and hour and 1/2. I guess the only time I may be around 30 minutes is when using my gym at home. I think 30 minutes is better than NO minutes. Every bit counts in my book! Keep up the good work GB.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:28 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
No giving up here! Even if my body did not change, I love that I feel good about myself for doing something (even if it is the minimum) to try to improve myself physically. The bonus is that I am seeing a change in my body. My stomach is getting smaller which is exactly what I wanted. It is not a major change yet, but I knew it would not be. My pants size is still the same, but when I see my reflection I look a little more like the GB I used to see.
Same here GB. DH and I are beginning to see some results...finally. We've been walking 45 minute to 1 hour walks 5-6 times weekly for 5 weeks now. There's no significant weight loss on the scale (3 to 4 pounds) but our clothes are fitting better and we're beginning to tone up a bit. No more flabbies in our 40s! LOL Keep it up GB!
Old 08-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #58
Chief Eating Officer

You too Dina. Great work!

For me the key is to not expect miracles. I want to lose weight and get in better shape, but even if I do not then at least I know that I am still getting healthier anyway.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #59
Cook

Send a message via AIM to momerlyn
kids of parents who exercise are that much more likely to exercise and kids of parents who do not exercise are less likely yadda yadda yadda.

GB, may I introduce you to... your father?

Yeah.

However, I don't think you need to blame your shape change on genetics as much as on your great cooking! But I certainly applaud you for taking the first step and especially for setting the example for the munchkins.

After all... you may be having to get into some fancy duds sometime next spring. (March? Florida?)
Old 08-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Quote:
, I love that I feel good about myself for doing something
Me too. After I read your first post, I started thinking about what I could do. Lazy sloth that I am, organized fitness classes etc just don't work. But, we have recently relocated our offices. I am no longer on the main floor, I am on the 14th floor. Sooooo, I take the stiars rather than the elevator to get to the main floor. My goal is to eventually get good enough to walk UP them.