"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

I Just Bought A Nook

I was at B&N looking for reading materials for vacation. The book I was looking for was sold out @ $28.00. The book is immediately available for download to a Nook at exactly half price.

I figured if I bought a basic Nook, I would be able to take this book to Aruba, lighten the load in my luggage and pay for the Nook with cheaper book purchases fairly quickly. I bought the El Cheapo model for $79. to minimize my investment in case I didn't like it. When I download the first book for $14, I will have "reduced the price" of the Nook to $65.

I haven't been following the book/eBook threads as I didn't think I was interested.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Master Chef

You're going to love it Andy! My kids bought me the Nook Tablet Christmas before last, and I must say I've never enjoyed a gift more. I didn't think I wanted one but boy was I wrong. For one thing,because it's back lit, I can read anywhere without the light being perfect and so I'm reading more than I have in many years. They are great for trips and at home too. Enjoy!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

When I first read the title, I immediately thought of "Nooks and Crannies." How do you buy a Nook? I thought it might be a cabinet of some sort. I need a vacation.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Pretty nifty, Andy. They are certainly handy.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I love my ereader! I avoided getting one for years thinking I was too old school to be able to adapt. I was totally wrong. Great prices and instant gratification in getting the books I want is great. You will love it! Welcome to the dark side. =o)
Old 01-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Does the Nook allow the end user to backup their book purchases locally?

This is one reason that I've stayed away from ereaders and especially Amazon's offerings. In the Kindel universe Amazon retains control of your purchases and can wipe the device remotely.

When I buy a physical book the store can't repossess it at will. E-copies should have the same protection for the consumer.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

i heard that crannies come out in a few months...

sorry, i'll get bolas' coat.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Does the Nook allow the end user to backup their book purchases locally?

This is one reason that I've stayed away from ereaders and especially Amazon's offerings. In the Kindel universe Amazon retains control of your purchases and can wipe the device remotely.

When I buy a physical book the store can't repossess it at will. E-copies should have the same protection for the consumer.

I feel just the opposite. I like that they keep a copy of my books so I don't have to. That could use a lot of memory for as active as some of our E-readers are. And when I get a new computer, download the Kindle app, bang, my books are all there.
Have you ever heard of them "wiping" a person's purchases? That seems pretty unscrupulous. I can't imagine the reason they would give.
Amazon Prime video works the same way basically, though they do give you the option to actually download a video. It costs a lot more though.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
Master Chef

I have kindle, but the same idea, right. I love it. So much cheapper than buying books. And that is only the half of the bargin. What do you do with all those books. I had to buy more book shelves to fit the ones we have at home. After that i told my wife to stop buying books and look at kindle purchases. Definitely much better deal.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to the Dark Side Andy! I think any ereader is a great investment, and so perfect for travel. I love all my Kindles, and the Amazon service is, bar none, the best. Recently, I got DH and I each a Kindle Paperwhite, which weighs about the same as a deck of cards. Same size screen as the original Kindle, but the PPW is ALL screen, so much smaller than the original, and it can be adjusted to read in any light, from pitch dark to beach sun. It functions much like an iPad. I still have my Kindle 2, which will stay in its waterproof case for in-pool reading. My first Kindle 2 was defective, and I promptly got a replacement from Amazon. I too like that you can download the Kindle app and read your library on just about everything but the fridge.

Can you get a waterproof case for the Nook? Before I got my waterproof Kindle hard case, I would use a ziplock.