I just spoke with Katie E.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whew! I'm back. What a wild ride!!! The last 40 hours have been beyond description.

Ike came through here very early Sunday morning. Winds 48 to 81 mph. Power went out at 8 a.m. Sunday. Just came on a few minutes ago...almost 36 hours exactly.

When I stepped out of the front door early yesterday morning, it looked like a war zone on my street. There was no way a vehicle, let alone a person on foot, could've gone up or down the street. Trees were down everywhere and power lines were tangled like so much spaghetti.

I lost a huge limb from a pin oak. I heard, and felt, it hit the ground in the side yard. Lost lots of pieces of our 5 pecan trees. The driveway was covered with tree limbs and "drifts" of leaves blown off the trees.

Within an hour there was a cacophony of chainsaws, along with the sound of diesel engines from bulldozers and backhoes as the city crews worked to clear the streets so the power crews could do their work.

Later in the afternoon, I saw several flatbed trailers loaded with huge Caterpillar generators. Not sure where they were headed but the power "situation" was/is definitely serious here. There are still people here without power and may not have it for another day or two.

By late last night the our city and county were declared to be in a state of emergency/disaster area. 911 center wasn't even able to function.

When I was able to get out this morning, I drove the short distance to the shop to see how it fared and how our shop kitty, Julie, was doing. Shop and kitty were fine...just in the dark.

Main street (Front Street) was a mess, as was everything on the route I traveled to and from the shop.

Other parts of town/county have trees down, roofs off houses/barns, porches ripped off, tobacco barns flattened, power lines in snarls, cornfields trashed, you name it...it's torn up. It'll take months, perhaps a year to clean up and/or recover from this.

I've never seen anything like this and I've endured several tornadoes. All I can say is, "What a mess!"

The one silver lining I found was that, in the total darkness last night, the full moon was awesome.

Glad it's over.

Last edited:
It was windy windy windy. Sustained winds here were 40 m.p.h with gusts up to 60 m.p.h. My power only went out for maybe 5 minutes. However schools were closed today due to power outages and problems with transportation.

To Katie and everyone the terrible storm has touched...I'm glad you're all okay and the monster is on the way out..You have my prayers for a quick recovery and clean up..Stay warm and dry and know you're thought of with warm thoughts.
kadesma

AS for moving to Seattle no thanks I live in Tacoma for 1 1/2 yrs. allways wet or fogged in hardly ever saw the sun shine. Kate-E so very glad you are all right. you are all ways in my prayers. stay out of the mess let the men fo;lk help clean up
DH.

and Chicago got the rain. It rained Saturday and Sunday in Chicago more than it has ever rained in the history of the weather bureau, and all the rivers, streams and canals overflowed. In some neighborhoods they were boating down the streets.

Cars were submerged up to the roofs at the Pratt Ave underpass on the Edens Expy.

My cousin's basement was flooded to the ceiling in a northern suburb...

I'm so glad to hear everyone here made it through Ike intact! What a storm! I just got back from getting my mom and her 9 cats and 2 dogs from Houston. Still no power there and they are saying to be prepared for it to take up to a month to fully restore power. Still, that's nothing compared to all the families who lost everything and I'm really grateful.

I'm glad you made it through ok Katie (and middie). I hope none of our other members had any problems from this. Pacanis is actually in Pennsylvania, but he is close to the Ohio border.

We're fortunate we haven't run into any bad weather in our travels. We have had a little rain, but not too much.

:)Barbara

glad to hear you are okay Katie as well as the kitty. Are all your house kitties okay too?

Apparently Columbus Ohio received hurricane 1 level winds. I think I only received about 45-50 mph peak gusts down here. I have two families, between here and Columbus coming today to shower and put food in our freezers, they do not expect power to be restored until this weekend.

Judging from the size of the limbs I just picked up and relocated from my yard, I think it only got up around 50 here, too.

b'sgirl

Where is she? I thought she lived in Kentucky.

We just got lots of rain and high winds. Never even lost power here. Thankfully, it went more east than originally predicted, so, we didn't get the main part of the storms.

i bet the person in the east is not saying that. LOL.

Hey Bsgirl, is there any humanitarian projects going on in our area for this? let me know so i can help. thanx..

I'm in Ohio also. Our power went out about 7 pm Sunday and it is still out. They're telling us it won't be back on until MAYBE Friday! The problem is they sent a bunch of our guys to Texas to help them out and now they're not here to fix things. They have been called back though, because this was such a freak thing that they didn't expect. The people across the street from us had half their tree come down on the corner of their house and right down the middle of their car. I think it's totaled.
My uncle brought over his generator for us to use. I've got a chest freezer and two refrigerators that I was so afraid of losing the contents. He was a godsend! The only good thing is the weather has been pleasant 65-68 degrees.
JoeV lives down the street from me but all his lines are underground so I'm not sure if he has lost power or not.

Barb

I'm in Ohio also. Our power went out about 7 pm Sunday and it is still out. They're telling us it won't be back on until MAYBE Friday! The problem is they sent a bunch of our guys to Texas to help them out and now they're not here to fix things. They have been called back though, because this was such a freak thing that they didn't expect. The people across the street from us had half their tree come down on the corner of their house and right down the middle of their car. I think it's totaled.
My uncle brought over his generator for us to use. I've got a chest freezer and two refrigerators that I was so afraid of losing the contents. He was a godsend! The only good thing is the weather has been pleasant 65-68 degrees.
JoeV lives down the street from me but all his lines are underground so I'm not sure if he has lost power or not.

Barb

Our lights flickered a few times, but not enough to even disrupt the 275 digital clocks in this house (it just SEEMS like there's that many). I saw and heard the generator at your house when I drove by, so I knew you'd be fine. I have my 6250 Watt generator at one of your neighbor's house on loan. They have three small children, so I asked if they wanted to borrow it until the power comes back. They were thrilled to take my offer. Delivered it and got it running for them so their fridge, freezer and sump pump could be connected. They have not opened their chest freeer since the power went out, which was the smart thing to do.

I have several customers w/o power in your development, and some of them actually moved into motels until the power comes back. It's weird listening to all the generators as I drive down Ohio St. Glad you're OK. If you need anything you know where I live.

I'm so busy this week I don't have any time to bake bread! That stinks. I'm supposed to be semi-retired...

Joe

Back
Top Bottom