"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-15-2005, 08:45 AM   #31
Executive Chef

We keep an open container of moth balls just inside both sides of the garage as I've heard snakes don't like that. I don't know if it is true or not, but in 35 years we've only seen one snake (a black snake) and he scurried right out.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:03 AM   #32
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Licia, my grandma throws mothballs out around her flower beds to keep snakes away from the house. She has an old barn & there has been a black snake living there for as long as I can remember but they won't come near the house.

I have several snake stories because I grew up in a house with woods on 3 sides & a cow/horse pasture on 1. We would find copperheads, cotton mouths(water moccasins), black snakes, & some I don't know what they were. We never killed the black snakes because their musky smell kept the copperheads & cotton mouths away.

This summer when I was picking blackberries at my parents house, I had a black snake go slithering between my feet as fast as he could go. I had stepped in some high grass at the edge of a blackberry bush & startled him.

Snakes don't give me the willies or anything, I actually like them & would love to have one as a pet but hubby's afraid of them.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:07 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

i woke up in my sleeping bag once with a snake coiled on top of me.

i was hiking on the appalachian trail, and a shelter that i had planned to stay at for the night was full. so i slept al fresco, and woke up with a little body heat thief.
we both awoke at the same time, looked at each other, eyes growing wide, screamed and ran/slithered in different directions...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:22 AM   #34
Executive Chef

I can't say I am totally petrified by snakes - If they are about, I want to see where they are. The first year we lived in the country, My dh decided to take me and our two kids for a ride on his new tractor. I told my kids (age 10 and 3) we were going snakehunting, just a joke!!!. We came back home and in the ditch was a humongous rattle snake. Dh parked the tractor away and sent me to the house to get a gun and ammo while he kept the snake coiled so he couldn't get away. The only thing, I got a gun of one type and the ammo of another type. He wasn't pleased, but gave better directions as to how I could find the right combination. DH is 6 ft without shoes. After he killed the snake he ran a pitchfork through the head of it and held it over his head - the snake's tail was still curled on the ground. He insisted I take a picture of it for his trophy collection. It still gives me the creeps and I get the mental image I had that day - the way the road was, the way the kids looked. That is a moment that was frozen in my memory like almost no other.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:56 PM   #35
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
I like snakes, also, as long as they are not poisonous. If hubby ever consents, I would recommend a ball python. Very docile, and calm. A friend has one, and I am kinda attached to the little guy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
Snakes don't give me the willies or anything, I actually like them & would love to have one as a pet but hubby's afraid of them.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:21 PM   #36
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Shannon, I'd like an albino corn snake or even a creamcicle corn snake. We had a youth director at our church once who had an albino & she was wonderful! Ball pythons are great too, they can be pretty smart at times also. One of my brother's friends had one that he carried around in a duffle bag & it would unzip the bag & get out. His name was Mr. Scary but there was nothing scary about him.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:23 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

an intelligent snake? i don't know about that, they can only count up to 1...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:23 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
I can't say I am totally petrified by snakes - If they are about, I want to see where they are. The first year we lived in the country, My dh decided to take me and our two kids for a ride on his new tractor. I told my kids (age 10 and 3) we were going snakehunting, just a joke!!!. We came back home and in the ditch was a humongous rattle snake. Dh parked the tractor away and sent me to the house to get a gun and ammo while he kept the snake coiled so he couldn't get away. The only thing, I got a gun of one type and the ammo of another type. He wasn't pleased, but gave better directions as to how I could find the right combination. DH is 6 ft without shoes. After he killed the snake he ran a pitchfork through the head of it and held it over his head - the snake's tail was still curled on the ground. He insisted I take a picture of it for his trophy collection. It still gives me the creeps and I get the mental image I had that day - the way the road was, the way the kids looked. That is a moment that was frozen in my memory like almost no other.
Did you eat the rattler? One that big should have had a lot of meat on it. I hear they taste like chicken.

My little brother has both a ball python and a corn or milk snake. Both are babies. The python is maybe two years old, and I think the other is a year old. Last year, the python got out of it's aquarium. Needless to say, my mother was VERY upset, as she is NOT a snake person.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:26 PM   #39
Executive Chef

No, we aren't that adventurous in our cuisine.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:10 PM   #40
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
yeah, the albino's are a nice color, I like them also. My friend also has one called a tangerine, and it's colors remind of of a sunset, gorgeous! A little high strung though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
Shannon, I'd like an albino corn snake or even a creamcicle corn snake. We had a youth director at our church once who had an albino & she was wonderful! Ball pythons are great too, they can be pretty smart at times also. One of my brother's friends had one that he carried around in a duffle bag & it would unzip the bag & get out. His name was Mr. Scary but there was nothing scary about him.