"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-09-2006, 11:26 PM   #1
Executive Chef

I need a little computer help

My desktop computer locked up today. I couldn't get it to do anything. I rebooted, and got an error message saying "No Operating System Found".

I'm thinking the HDD on the desktop has fried. Now, I'm a complete dummy when it comes to a systerm recovery, as I've never done that before. Do I press F8 while it's "tries" to boot up to get to the Safe Mode, or do I need to do something else? I don't have a Windows XP CD-ROM to boot with, as the O/S is supposedly on a secure partition of the HDD.

At least I was able to get all my data off that computer and onto my laptop. Of course, PeppA's and my MIL's geneological data will be lost if we can't recover it.

If the HDD is dead, I'd be looking at replacing the HDD and getting another copy of XP, but for that kind of money, I might as well buy a new tower. I know of one that's about twice as powerful as the desktop was for $325.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:35 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Allen, by any chance do you have a Sony VAIO? I know a couple of people who have/had those and both of them experienced the same problem you did with their hard drive crashing. The only other thing that I can think of is that somehow your hard drive got re-formatted, which in that case it's still fine, but you would need to re-install an OS.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:37 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Call the Geek Squad. They bailed me out last year.

http://geeksquad.com/
Old 04-10-2006, 02:34 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I have to agree with Andy. This does not sound like something you can deal with yourself. I would take it to a reputable shop.

For curiosity's sake, what brand/make/model is your system? And did you buy it new or used? Any manufacturer that fails to provide a valid OEM backup CD and certificate is a company to be avoided like the plague IMO.

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:32 AM   #5
Head Chef

Sheesh, must have been something in the air (or power lines) this weekend!

Allen, definitely sounds like a HD issue - the PC seems to know a drive is there, but it doesn't believe it to be a bootable device. Do you have an XP disc? You should be able to boot into safe mode from the CD, and then look if there is anything on the C: drive.

My PC took a dump on me last night as well! The leading suspect? The Hard Drive.

It had been working fine, I shut it down - everything worked fine.
I went to boot it up later in the day, all the hardware checked out, and when it got to the part well it should have started Windows, it just stops. No error messages, nothing.

I've got a spare hard drive that has XP on it that I'm going to fire in there, and see what's happening. If it's the HD, I'm going to be ticked off. It was a Christmas present, and didn't even get installed till January!

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
Senior Cook

you might try hard booting, power the system off and then back on. you could also try smacking the hard disk, take you hand and just bump it. I have a friend who says you can take the hard drive out of the system and put it in a freezer for a couple of minutes. I have never tried this but if your hard drive has mechnical problems you probably wouldn't hurt it anymore anyway, and again you might have just lost the operating system. if you can locate a recovery cd or a copy of the os make sure if you reinstall it you don't reformatt the drive.

later
Old 04-10-2006, 09:39 AM   #7
Sous Chef

if u wanna pm me your addy...i will gladly send you all the o/s cd's u could ever want.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:36 AM   #8
Executive Chef

It's a HP that I bought online about 5 years ago. It was a factory refurbished discounted pc. This is the first major problem I've had with it. The manual that came with it had a whole thing in it about why it didn't have a XP CD in it. I might have one in the box that my laptop came with. I'll have to look.

I was planning on taking it in to Best Buy and seeing what they can do. They've helped me before with computer problems.

I'm just thankful that I got the laptop when I did, and transferred files over.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:26 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I'm not a big fan of Best Buy for computer assistance. The couple times I tried I got taken to the cleaners.

Speaking of computer problems, the cooling fan for my tower hasn't worked for some time. Likely to lead to malfunction I guess, right? the fan for the cpu still works fine, but the tower gets fire hot back where the power source is.

I've never tried the Geek Squad, but I've heard nothing but good stuff from them. I've seen them based out of Best Buy, but I don't know if they "took over" Best Buy's computer work.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:02 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Geek Squad was an independent busienss purchased by Best Buy. I don't know how long ago that happened. My neighbor and I have both had positive experiences with a home service call.