I want to share with you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

radhuni

Sous Chef
My father was expired when I was 18 years old. I was very attached to him.

He was a foodlover, he like to take the taste of various foods.

I did not knew cooking then, but now I can prepare so many dishes. When I prepare something new or especial I really miss him.

Food has a way of doing that. A lot of our memories are associated with food. My biggest one is when Mom would make homemade French Fries and Fried Scallops. Yea, so much fried food, but it was a GOOD memory and DELICIOUS!!!! :) Mom passed away in 1993, but I still see her in the kitchen kitchen and pot she would use to fry in. Thank you for making me smile. :)

It's the same for me. My mom died in December 2000. She was the best cook in the world, to me. I have a lot of memories of her in the kitchen. Whenever I make something and it turns out as good as what she made, I feel so proud of myself! Her cooking is the standard I hold much of mine up to.

:)Barbara

In a way, I think all the memories we have of those we have loved, sad, funny, poignant, are a way of the person standing unseen just beside us and saying " I am still here to share the love we shared and one day we will share it together in the Presence of the Greatest Love of all.

My mom died in 2004 and, as odd as it must sound, some of my best memories of her are of lumpy mashed potatoes and chocolate chip cookies. I was so excited when I figured out her secret to the cookies and now when I make them, sometimes I forget to leave some for others to have! :pig: I wish I had gotten more recipes from her--I was 21 when she died and I wasn't expecting to be on my own so soon--but I try my best to make meals that are just as good as most of her food was.

Thanks for sharing radhuni. The memories that food bring to the front are awesome. I think that is why I cook and cook so many different recipes for other people. You would honor us by sharing one of your father's favorite foods with a recipe if possible. I would be pleased to try it. Thanks again

I think food spreads through all cultures, like music, and builds memories. Embrace those memories.

I feel the same way when ever I am preparing a lot of things. I spent a LOT of time in the kitchen as a child, and even more so now, as an adult.

Thanks for sharing radhuni. The memories that food bring to the front are awesome. I think that is why I cook and cook so many different recipes for other people. You would honor us by sharing one of your father's favorite foods with a recipe if possible. I would be pleased to try it. Thanks again

Please dont say 'honoured' , there is no question of honour, it is my pleasure that I got so many good friends like you, with whom I can share my joys and sorrows.

Here I am giving the recipe of one of my father's favourite dish. I am giving here two methods, one for the people who are accustomed with the original Indian style of preparation (ofcourse it will taste better) and the second is more easier. It is an extremely hot dish :

Hilsa (Hilsha hilsha or Tenualosa ilisha) fish in mustard sauce

Ingredients: (same for both methods)

500 gm dressed Hilsha fish
a handful black mustard (Brassica nigra) seeds
2 green chilli
two spoonful mustard oil

preparation 1:

1. Grind the mustard seeds with green chilli and a pinch of salt to make thick paste.
2. Take a large leaf of bottle gourd (Lagenaria siceraria)
Rub the upper surface with mustard oil.
4.Place the pieces of the hilsha fish on the leaf.
Pourthe mustard paste and 2 spoonful mustard oil on it, with salt according to taste.
6.Wrap the leaf with another leaf and tie it with a piece of cord carefully otherwise the mustard paste will come out.
7.Place the wraping in boiling rice (when the rice become half cooked)
8.The hilsa will be steamed with the rice.
9.when the rice become full coked take out the wraping and untie.
10.Enjoy the dish with steaming rice (the rice you prepared with hilsha fish)

preparation 2:

1.1. Grind the mustard seeds with green chilli and a pinch of salt to make thick paste.
2.Take a flat based metal pot with a tight lid (metal tiffin box)
3.Rub inside of the pot with mustard oil.
4.Place the pieces of the hilsha fish.
Pourthe mustard paste and 2 spoonful mustard oil on it, with salt according to taste.
6.Place the lid.
7.Now steam it for 5 min in a pressure cooker (or whichever method is suitable for you).
8.Dont try to open it for 30 min (may be 15 min in colder countries).
9.After 30 min have it hot with steaming rice.

My father died in 1983 when I was 15. About the only time we had home-made chips was when dad cooked them. He grew up having them a lot and mum ended up refusing to cook them anymore cos he would have them every night if he could! LOL So if he wanted home-made chips, the deal was he had to cook them. So by the time I came along, this was the norm in our family. The only chips I have had since his death are store bought or oven fries.

We go out for lunch or dinner on all of the special occasions, so that includes dad's birthday (which is 5 Feb), mum and dad's wedding anniversary, and the anniversary of his death. We normally choose a nice restaurant but not one that will break the bank (too much), order a couple of glasses of bubbly and have a toast. We don't get maudlin and we do remember his faults as well as his graces, but we do remember in a positive light, normally with a few laughs.

Dear Radhuni, Thank you for the recipe that was special to your father. I shall study it - I might have to search for a fish I can find here that would be suitable, and even try to mellow out some of the "heat" for family. (You know that much of your food does have hotness that we aren't accustomed to here :) I think I can do this and preserve the respect for your family and the recipe. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom