If you HAD to permanently live in another country

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TanyaK

Senior Cook
where would you choose to live ? I'd choose Australia as it's a bit similar to South Africa in terms of climate, sports, way of life etc.so it would be easier to adapt (plus there's loads of other South Africans who have already emigrated (just as long as I don't have to convert completely and cheer for the Australian rugby/cricket teams lol :))

We would never ask that of you!! LOL

Prior to being an adult, England would always been my choice due to my heritage, and may be still in an ideal world, but the economics of the place would prevent me from doing so today.

New Zealand would probably be my more realistic decision for now. I would enjoy giving Japan a go.

Have a hard job thinking of living in another country thru choice though. Australia is pretty big, so if I had to leave Perth, I would first and foremost think of another Australian location.

Wherever I was, they would have to have good health care available.

If I had to live in another country (a question I have actually asked myself), it would be Canada, for basically the same reasons you mentioned. Their way of life is pretty close to how we live, and English is spoken in most of Canada. If I had to live on another continent, it would be Australia. I have always had a certain fascination with Australia anyway.

:)Barbara

I have only been to Canada, Jamaica, and The Dominican Republic. I would have to visit other countries before I would know if I would want to live there or not. Israel and Japan both would probably interest me though.

i would stay right where i am -- central ny
Hate to be the party pooper but the way the world is i'm not going anywhere.
brother florida-- tornados, to hot in summer / sister in NC to hot summer and storms again./ brother in virginia - ok but to hectic / sister- arizona - i have to see more green then dessert and the extreme heat.
I like the changing of the seasons and we get hot summers and cold winters. but over all not bad.
Europe is out totally,

If I could afford it, Scotland. Or, second choice, rural England. But with the pound at two bucks can rarely afford to go there, let alone relocate.

We've already bought the condo and it awaits us in Mexico.
I just have to make this man of mine retire.

The family also has a house in Greece. Don't think I want to live there but...
sure would be nice to spend a few months there every year.

I wouldn't move away from Canada.

I'd be very happy visiting all of the places you have all mentioned though, for at least a week each!

I would pick the little country of Luxembourg. That is were most of my family are from. When I retired, my oldest son and I did all of our family tree. On all sides. I loved doing it. My son put it all on the computer, so now it is there for all to see and enjoy. If you are thinking of doing yours, don't wait, start asking questions now.

I have come here from Zimbabwe. If I did move DW specifies it can't be too hot or too cold, Africa is out .

I would like to explore parts of USA, Canada and Australia - don't know if I would settle.

I know some of Canada, the UK, and a bit Scandinavia. I could be happy any of those places. There is so much more of the world I need to explore. I sure want to travel more but really have no desire to uproot myself. Wouldn't mind an extended vacation in a new and different "world" say 2 months in Bologna, Barcelona, Sicily or Crete. (or wherever!)

Like PDSwife, we have already made our choice to move to another country, and we are perfectly happy here. If we HAD to make a new choice, we might choose Costa Rica or Panama...we are comfortable in a Spanish-speaking country now, and it turns out we really love the tropics.

Last edited:
I would pick Canada, although since DW is still a Canadian citizen it wouldn't really be a foreign country for her.
If it had to be another continent, Ireland or Scotland. I heard there are no snakes up there...

Back
Top Bottom