"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Head Chef

I'm so excited!!

Well last night for the first time, i saw a glimpse of what my new degree i built for the college is going to have. My school will be the only school in the state of Utah to have this program. It all started when i found out that i wanted to learn some basic computer networking. There was no degree at the time so i was not interested in getting a degree. I had the philosophy that certificates were all i wanted. So i started taking my networking classes that i was not getting credit for because they were electives. Well one day out of no where they dropped my classes. So i was pissed. I gathered up some info from other schools, including my school and compared them. I found out that my school had all the classes for a network engineer to take but no degree. So i wrote up a mock up and turned it in. Two days later i was getting emails form professors i had no idea who they were. They loved the idea and voted me onto student council. I asked the head department if i am the only student wanting to do this. They said no. there are hundreds of kids who want to be a network engineer but I was the only one fighting for it. they told me that i really pushed the presidents buttons and burst his bubble. So 4 months later my idea has become a reality. The cool thing is, my good friend ended up on the council and they took half of his ideas and half of mine and put them together. My professor said that this is the first time that a student has done this and the first time they have built and implemented an entire degree in 4 months. i did not do this by my self. If it were not for the encouragement from my professor and parents and my anger from being pissed, it would have never happened. The faculty there has helped a bunch and actually accomplished their task. My friend on council with me just won the state competition for routing and switching. He is a smart man. He has helped with this degree a ton.

well here are some of the classes. i will post more when i find out. im just pleased and excited.

Server configuration and administration.
Network Operating Systems including Linux(Finally)
Client/Desktop administration
Business Law and security ethics
Certified Ethical Hacker certification.
IP Security
Firewall administration
Protocol mechanics
Network monitoring and documentation
Telecom cabling and wiring for physical hardware.
Scripting and programing
CCNA and CCNP
Wireless networks and communications
Disaster recovery and prevention
Unified communications
Data center administration including cooling, UPS, ROI, NAS

that is most of them. So i am pretty dang excited. I just had to post because i think its cool that one persons idea can change the entire outlook for thousands of others for the good. Now i just need to be patient with my self and do this one step at a time.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Here's a HUGE pat on the back!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Way to go!! You keep up the good work, and be very proud of yourself!
Old 04-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Most Splendid!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT View Post
Way to go!! You keep up the good work, and be very proud of yourself!
thats my problem, i feel selfish for this because at first it only served me. I knew what i wanted and needed and i was not getting it and naturally when that happens with me, i will do pretty much anything to get that. I just didnt feel complete knowing that what i wanted possibly wont happen. i couldnt accept that. there is a difference between a want and a need but when they both become the same, its even harder to be patient.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Did you not say that there are others that want this degree also?! How was speaking your mind self serving when indeed it served others also?
Old 04-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
i feel selfish for this because at first it only served me.
Well, stop it See that "at first" part? It doesn't apply anymore. You did something that will benefit many other people, so you should definitely be proud of that. Way to go !

Old 04-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Who says one person can't make a change? Way to go!!
Old 04-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT View Post
Did you not say that there are others that want this degree also?! How was speaking your mind self serving when indeed it served others also?
Yeah i guess. I need to accept the fact that i accomplished a goal that i have been working on for about a year. I am still "numb" about it. I am excited but hard to feel it. Know what i mean?

Thanx and yes there are hundreds who want to do the same thing, but at the time i did not know that. LOL. I was mad because i knew what i needed and it was not happening. So i made it happen.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
Head Chef

Thanx guys. it means alot to me to see support and to see something materialize from an idea. it was fun last night in class though. I was typing in a thread on this site, when my class mate looked over and started laughing when he read my post about stuffing chicken with feta and basil. It caused the professor to stop class. I did not find my post funny in any way, but he did. the professor asked what was going on and the class mate told him. i was ratted out by a older man. C'MON.. after a few people called me this or that and a few gilry names cause i cooked. I showed them some of my main dishes and some of the girls that are now my friends. yeah they shut up in a real hurry. My professor started talking about cooking. For 20 minutes we talked about cooking and grilling. it was funny