"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady

I was beginning to wonder if that was what the locked padlock meant. I'll ask her.
I hope it works out for you. I just love my iPhone. I realized that they call it a smart phone because when you figure everything out you feel smart. :D

Old 01-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper
Your phone may be locked from the previous owner. You may need to get the password to unlock it. The folks at the phone store are very helpful around here. As you use the phone you will discover all sorts of things that no one ever told you. At least that is how it is for me.
That might just be it, Chopper! I got mine new out of the box.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper

I hope it works out for you. I just love my iPhone. I realized that they call it a smart phone because when you figure everything out you feel smart. :D
Lol, Chopper, that's how I feel every time I figure out something new on my IPhone! I've had it for a year and a half and am still learning!
Old 01-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I am wondering, what kind of SIM card Taxlady is trying to put into her IPhone. Are non-Apple products compatible? I'm guessing she has a card from another smart phone.........oh well, I hope you get it all sorted out Taxlady. :-)
Old 01-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
I am wondering, what kind of SIM card Taxlady is trying to put into her IPhone. Are non-Apple products compatible? I'm guessing she has a card from another smart phone.........oh well, I hope you get it all sorted out Taxlady. :-)
I'm just putting my regular old SIM card that I have had for 11 years. Once I installed iTunes and hooked the phone to the computer, it works. I picked up my voice mail. I tried calling my cell phone's 611, but I got the after hours message. I need to talk to someone there to figure out if I want a data plan and if so, which one.

But, I can't figure out how to send a text message. Does this thing have predictive typing? It asked me for the password for the house wifi network, but I guess I got it wrong. Now, I can't figure out how to try again. I have sent text messages to my friend to ask her and to DH asking if I have the password right. They are at her house having a LOTR marathon viewing.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

I'm just putting my regular old SIM card that I have had for 11 years. Once I installed iTunes and hooked the phone to the computer, it works. I picked up my voice mail. I tried calling my cell phone's 611, but I got the after hours message. I need to talk to someone there to figure out if I want a data plan and if so, which one.

But, I can't figure out how to send a text message. Does this thing have predictive typing? It asked me for the password for the house wifi network, but I guess I got it wrong. Now, I can't figure out how to try again. I have sent text messages to my friend to ask her and to DH asking if I have the password right. They are at her house having a LOTR marathon viewing.
Go to Settings - general- network - wifi, turn off wifi. Then your network should take over, and you won't need a password.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Go to Settings - general- network - wifi, turn off wifi. Then your network should take over, and you won't need a password.
My home network has a password. How will my home wifi network work with the iPhone if I tell the iPhone to turn off wifi?

I'm not trying to do stuff on the fido (cell phone company) 3G network. Then they want me to pay for all the data bits. I may do that later when I have figured out some stuff and can talk to a person at fido to get a data plan.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

My home network has a password. How will my home wifi network work with the iPhone if I tell the iPhone to turn off wifi?

I'm not trying to do stuff on the fido (cell phone company) 3G network. Then they want me to pay for all the data bits. I may do that later when I have figured out some stuff and can talk to a person at fido to get a data plan.
I have Verizon, and a home wifi network. My iPad works on my home network and my iPhone works on Verizon's net. Not sure what to tell you!
Old 01-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I have Verizon, and a home wifi network. My iPad works on my home network and my iPhone works on Verizon's net. Not sure what to tell you!
You probably have some sort of reasonable data plan. We pay more for cell phone plans here in Canada than you guys pay in the States. It should be able to connect to the home network because I can see the name of my home network and I didn't type it in.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #20
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You probably have some sort of reasonable data plan. We pay more for cell phone plans here in Canada than you guys pay in the States. It should be able to connect to the home network because I can see the name of my home network and I didn't type it in.
Can you not just type in your password? If you go to settings and tell it to join the WiFi network it should prompt you for the password.