"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady

I was beginning to wonder if that was what the locked padlock meant. I'll ask her.
I hope it works out for you. I just love my iPhone. I realized that they call it a smart phone because when you figure everything out you feel smart. :D
__________________

__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper
Your phone may be locked from the previous owner. You may need to get the password to unlock it. The folks at the phone store are very helpful around here. As you use the phone you will discover all sorts of things that no one ever told you. At least that is how it is for me.
That might just be it, Chopper! I got mine new out of the box.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Somebunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Blaine, Washington
Posts: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper

I hope it works out for you. I just love my iPhone. I realized that they call it a smart phone because when you figure everything out you feel smart. :D
Lol, Chopper, that's how I feel every time I figure out something new on my IPhone! I've had it for a year and a half and am still learning!
__________________
If you don't like the food, have more wine!
Somebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Somebunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Blaine, Washington
Posts: 2,649
I am wondering, what kind of SIM card Taxlady is trying to put into her IPhone. Are non-Apple products compatible? I'm guessing she has a card from another smart phone.........oh well, I hope you get it all sorted out Taxlady. :-)
__________________
If you don't like the food, have more wine!
Somebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,888
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
I am wondering, what kind of SIM card Taxlady is trying to put into her IPhone. Are non-Apple products compatible? I'm guessing she has a card from another smart phone.........oh well, I hope you get it all sorted out Taxlady. :-)
I'm just putting my regular old SIM card that I have had for 11 years. Once I installed iTunes and hooked the phone to the computer, it works. I picked up my voice mail. I tried calling my cell phone's 611, but I got the after hours message. I need to talk to someone there to figure out if I want a data plan and if so, which one.

But, I can't figure out how to send a text message. Does this thing have predictive typing? It asked me for the password for the house wifi network, but I guess I got it wrong. Now, I can't figure out how to try again. I have sent text messages to my friend to ask her and to DH asking if I have the password right. They are at her house having a LOTR marathon viewing.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady

I'm just putting my regular old SIM card that I have had for 11 years. Once I installed iTunes and hooked the phone to the computer, it works. I picked up my voice mail. I tried calling my cell phone's 611, but I got the after hours message. I need to talk to someone there to figure out if I want a data plan and if so, which one.

But, I can't figure out how to send a text message. Does this thing have predictive typing? It asked me for the password for the house wifi network, but I guess I got it wrong. Now, I can't figure out how to try again. I have sent text messages to my friend to ask her and to DH asking if I have the password right. They are at her house having a LOTR marathon viewing.
Go to Settings - general- network - wifi, turn off wifi. Then your network should take over, and you won't need a password.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,888
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Go to Settings - general- network - wifi, turn off wifi. Then your network should take over, and you won't need a password.
My home network has a password. How will my home wifi network work with the iPhone if I tell the iPhone to turn off wifi?

I'm not trying to do stuff on the fido (cell phone company) 3G network. Then they want me to pay for all the data bits. I may do that later when I have figured out some stuff and can talk to a person at fido to get a data plan.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady

My home network has a password. How will my home wifi network work with the iPhone if I tell the iPhone to turn off wifi?

I'm not trying to do stuff on the fido (cell phone company) 3G network. Then they want me to pay for all the data bits. I may do that later when I have figured out some stuff and can talk to a person at fido to get a data plan.
I have Verizon, and a home wifi network. My iPad works on my home network and my iPhone works on Verizon's net. Not sure what to tell you!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,888
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I have Verizon, and a home wifi network. My iPad works on my home network and my iPhone works on Verizon's net. Not sure what to tell you!
You probably have some sort of reasonable data plan. We pay more for cell phone plans here in Canada than you guys pay in the States. It should be able to connect to the home network because I can see the name of my home network and I didn't type it in.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #20
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You probably have some sort of reasonable data plan. We pay more for cell phone plans here in Canada than you guys pay in the States. It should be able to connect to the home network because I can see the name of my home network and I didn't type it in.
Can you not just type in your password? If you go to settings and tell it to join the WiFi network it should prompt you for the password.
__________________

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.