Is Anyone following the Summer Olympics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cassius clay was so pretty! he'd tell you that every chance he got, lol. floated like a butterfly, and stung like a bee.

i'd hate to think he knows just how bad he's declined.

dawg, rulon gardner was a big, scary, olympic champion wrestler (u.s.a.).

We dont normally watch the olympics but like hearing all the info on the radio or in the paper etc :)

Wow, this became a popular thread in my absence. ;)

I just skimmed the last page of posts because I saw a couple of spoilers regarding the opening ceremonies and I taped it.

I love to watch curling. I never curled, being the only one of my family that didn't at some point or other but it is not a west coast thing and I was 8 when we moved from the prairies. But I learned the strategy from my Dad. I watched some of the curling after he passed and it was bittersweet. But I will still watch because I love the game.

I applied to be a ladies sprints start judge (one of those guys who kneels behind the athletes staring at their feet )I failed the drool test.:yum:

WOW! What a breathtaking, beautiful & flawless opening ceremony. Amazing to see how perfect everything is choreographed & moves seemlessly into the next segment, w/ thousands of people & performers. The lighting of the torch was magnificent, as were the merging of the rings and showering of lights. I think it even took Paul McCartney's breath away. Well Done!!!

I am not a huge sports kinda guy, when it comes to the "TV" sports, but I DO LOVE ME SOME OLYMPICS!

I think it is a great show of the Human Race, I LOVE seeing underdogs come and clean house, I love the level of athleticism, especially from those that don't have a 60million dollar Nike endorsement, or some other nonsense, but folks who just love their sport, and do it because of passion, not a paycheck.

I wish there were more examples of Humans doing amazing things TOGETHER. And sure, while there is a level of competition, it is also a gathering of the best the planet has to offer, and at the end of the day, they all have respect for one another, regardless of politics/religion/race/creed/upbringing. . . all of the factors that seem to "define" the world today, yet act as a bigger wedge than anything else.

Just burst into tears seeing Mohammed Ali, the progression of his Parkinson's disease is just terrible.

We have a resident with Parkson's. He too is progressing far too fast. He will have to go into a care facility pretty soon. It breaks my heart to see him. :(:(

The lighting of the cauldron was absoluting breathtaking. I loved the fact that no one big name lit it. But tomorrow's young athletes. What an honor for them. Unknowns for now!

Far too many commercials. NBC refused to stream it live. They would have lost money with less commercials. I liked it better years ago when ABC had the contract for the Olympics. I think ABC has always done a better job broadcasting sports events. :ermm:

I was disappointed by the opening. The intent of the organizers was a good one, but the execution not so much. The fact that the TV commentators had to provide a running commentary explaining what was going on turned me off. I wonder what the folks in the stands were thinking. Also wondered how the folks in the nose bleed seats could see the details like little kids in the beds and such to make sense of it all.

I didn't watch the end of the show or the torch lighting.

I understand your frustration with the whole program. It didn't hold my interest. But if you missed the lighting of the cauldron, you missed the very best part. If they should show it again, I suggest very strongly, that you try to catch it. It was very moving and beautiful. And surprising as to who was going to light the cauldron. :cool:

I watched it, although, I was put off by the decision NBC made not to show it live. I figured it would be edited for commercial concerns. I reckon it would have been too much to hope for that any network would carry it live and uninterrupted, despite all the hoorah about it's importance. Even so, I found it an amazing and impressive event. I am looking forward to the British contingent of D.C.'s comments on it.

BBC streamed it live at an earlier time. Unfortunately, I don't get BBC. NBC is more interested in making money from the commericals than pleasing the public.

NBC is fourth among the top four networks and is desperate for a winner. They have the Olympics on all of their networks and will keep them in prime time for a couple of reasons. Prime time is when most people turn on their TVs so they get max viewers and they can charge more for commercials in prime time so there is a better chance of the Olympics' being profitable for them. I guess that's all really one reason. I think the majority of viewers are couples who have been working all day and sit down for a night of TV. Imagine how angry they would be if they missed the opening ceremonies because it was on live five hours earlier.

NBC paid tons for the rights to televise the Olympics. They have to earn that back.

I understand all that, Andy. I reckon you have a point. Still, all this is part of many reasons why I choose not to watch much TV at all. As far as the viewers missing the live telecast...they had to watch tape anyway...Why not show it live, then an edited encore showing?

I understand all that, Andy. I reckon you have a point. Still, all this is part of many reasons why I choose not to watch much TV at all. As far as the viewers missing the live telecast...they had to watch tape anyway...Why not show it live, then an edited encore showing?

I guess they could have done that. It wouldn't be the first time.

I thought the opening ceremony, produced by Danny Boyle - was stunning. It was quirky too - a British thing!! Loved the Mary Poppins bit and the tribute to our superb NHS service. The music too was wonderful.

Strangely enough, my husband has been glued to the Womens Beach Volleyball, I can't think what's interesting about that..................apart from teeny tiny knickers.

I'm glad we recorded the opening ceremony and watched it this morning. Good grief some of it was so boring I'm glad we could fast forward through some of it including the commercials.

The part where the orchestra played the beautiful "Chariots of Fire" was ruined by that idiot British comedian. What's up with that?

For the most part, I thought it was the worse opening ceremony ever, with the exception of the involvement of the Queen. What a really great sport she is! Just outstanding PR on her behalf. I was worried at first that Paul had lost his good voice, but it turned out he was choked up with the wonder of it all. I loved the lighting of the torch as always, but I wish it would have raised up somehow so the city can see it throughout the games.

I'm most looking forward to the Beach Volleyball as that was my game many many moons ago. Naturally, Steve likes their outfits. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom