Is Anyone following the Summer Olympics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are so many rules that are different from the way the average citizen plays these games. A lot of interuptions, hesitations, etc. I lose interest after a while. Just play the dang game! :wacko:

I was actually joking about bowling in the Olympics. Bowling used to be very competitive back in the day, I even belonged to the Junior League for several years.
But I think bowling, for the most part, has been and always will be a 'social' sport more than anything else.

There's even one quote from a movie years ago, "Did you meet her at a bowling alley?" ....sure seems appropriate even today. :LOL:

I was actually joking about bowling in the Olympics. Bowling used to be very competitive back in the day, I even belonged to the Junior League for several years.
But I think bowling, for the most part, has been and always will be a 'social' sport more than anything else.

There's even one quote from a movie years ago, "Did you meet her at a bowling alley?" ....sure seems appropriate even today. :LOL:

Bowling has never been a sport played by the upper crust. :ohmy:

Most kids who get into boxing come from troubled backgrounds. And it helps keep them straight. And then you have refs like this that are willing to destroy their dreams. :(
Addie the reasons vary,poverty is a big factor.Both the heavy weight and super heavy weight sections are crap.Overweight blobs who slap with the inside of the gloves like a handbag, the nearest 95% get to ring craft was a Brasilian wax.

Addie the reasons vary,poverty is a big factor.Both the heavy weight and super heavy weight sections are crap.Overweight blobs who slap with the inside of the gloves like a handbag, the nearest 95% get to ring craft was a Brasilian wax.

While there are a few contenders that are "overweight blobs", by and large, that doesn't represent the heavy weight as a whole.

Heavyweight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take a quick look at the current champs, and see who is an overweight blob. . .

roadfix said:
I would like to see Bowling in the Olympics.

I actually do think bowling should be in the Olympics. I think bowling is just as much of a sport as curling, table tennis, or shooting. So why not??

Take baseball, for instance. It is a relatively new event in the Olympics. I attended exhibition baseball during the 1984 Olympics here in L.A. Baseball at that time was not an official Olympic event. I wonder why it took so long for a sport like baseball to become an Olympic event. I imagine baseball is a popular sport in most all Continents.
And being a summer sport all the best players are with the Major League currently, unlike basketball being off season the US can send all their best NBA players to participate in the Summer Games.
Having said all that does the US have a baseball team in the Olympics? I would assume so.

A BIG EDIT: Someone just told me with 100% certainty that baseball is not in the Olympics!!

Second edit: Just Googled baseball. It became an official Olympic event in 1992 in Bacelona.

Last edited:
I heard the other night that baseball and softball were dropped from the olympics in 2008. I'm not sure, may have to research some more.

Major League Baseball didn't like the fact that the Olympics takes place at the same time as the last third of the baseball season. The loss of star players to the Olympic team would impact teams' pennant races.

Andy M. said:
Major League Baseball didn't like the fact that the Olympics takes place at the same time as the last third of the baseball season. The loss of star players to the Olympic team would impact teams' pennant races.

It's too bad they can't delay the end of the season once every four years, but I'm sure there are plenty of reasons that isn't possible...

It's too bad they can't delay the end of the season once every four years, but I'm sure there are plenty of reasons that isn't possible...

The end of the season comes so late as it is. The last game of the World Series has happened in November. Not good weather for baseball and it conflicts with football.

Andy M. said:
The end of the season comes so late as it is. The last game of the World Series has happened in November. Not good weather for baseball and it conflicts with football.

Makes sense. I don't follow sports, so I didn't know that :)

I heard that baseball and softball were dropped because there were fewer and fewer countries able to field credible teams. The US and Japan were the only ones with any one good. Most of the other countries would create a team but often they had no way to improve their skills since there were so few teams to compete against.

I've had the TV on in the background but for the most part haven't been watching it very much. I think I'll be glad when Micheal Phelps retires. I'm kind of tired of the coverage of him. I've also not been very happy with the way NBC has been doing the coverage. I know it's taped but to cut away from a volley ball game, show a swimming race then back to the volleyball has been so disjointed it's hard to get into the event.

The way they showed the women's all-around gymnastics finals was so bad! It was frustrating the way they did that.

Okay, enough of a rant for me today.

I heard that baseball and softball were dropped because there were fewer and fewer countries able to field credible teams. The US and Japan were the only ones with any one good. Most of the other countries would create a team but often they had no way to improve their skills since there were so few teams to compete against.

... I think I'll be glad when Micheal Phelps retires. I'm kind of tired of the coverage of him...

First, there are many Latin American teams that can compete on a par with US and Japan. Witness the World Baseball Classic games. Many of the best teams are from Latin America. In fact, many of the top line players in MLB are Latin Americans who would play for their country teams rather than the USA team.

Don't blame Michael Phelps for how he's covered by the media. If not him, they will single out someone else.

Cheese rolling should be in the Olympics and possibly Morris Dancing . After being a bit bah humbug and not arsed about it all I am now thoroughly enjoying it and LOVING Team GB! At the moment the gold leaders are 1. USA 2. China and 3. Team GB !!!! Whoop whoop .

It's all been rather emotional I am drained we are not use to displaying emotions.;):unsure::unsure:

Back
Top Bottom