"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 02-21-2007, 12:19 AM   #21
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
We gentleman are few and far between I think...

I've had my share of "independent" women ***** me out for holding open a door, but I just pass it off as ignorance. It's a common courtesy I provide to everyone.

college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:28 AM   #22
Traveling Welcome Wagon
My dad opened the car door (and other doors) for my mom every day until she died. James opens doors for me too. Sometimes, if we are in a hurry or if James doesn't feel good, I will get out before he can come around.

On the other hand, as many of you have said, I open doors (and give up seats) for others too. I think it is just common courtesy to try to make things easier for others if you have the chance to, especially if they have a disability or are frail in any way. I've known women who get upset if someone holds a door for them, but most of the women I know appreciate the gesture.

LOL Sorry to go a little off-topic with this, but this just reminded me of a conversation my mom had with another woman several years ago. The woman found out that my mom didn't have a career and was "just" a homemaker. She went on and on about how my mom (who was a homemaker by choice) was not free. My mom just looked at her and said, "If I feel like going to a movie or shopping in the middle of the day, I can do that whenever I want. Can you?"

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:43 AM   #23
Head Chef
My DH is truley chivalrous. As well as all the opening doors, holding coats etc he truely tries to anticipate my needs and wishes and make me comfortable. I am always so proud of him when he stands for others to have his seat on public transport (as I stand for people who need my sest more too). I was once really amazed when he stood for a young and fit looking woman, I mentioned I thought he had gone OTT, as at the far end of the carriage there was a spare seat...shortly two seat together cleared, so I moved and we sat together, I pointed out there had been a spare seat, and he pointed out the woman's shoes and said, I have seen your feet at the end of the day and I know sometimes you'll stand on them rather than walk further in those heels. I was amazed, as I have never complained but that is exactly what I do but it was a lesson to me that my DH is truely special and attentive and kind.

Unfortunatley to an extent I agree with Clutch. We have vociferous feminists in out family and I have to agree the young men in the family don't know which way to turn to get things right. I feel extremely sorry for them. I also feel they have undermined the right my DH and I have to fill mopre traditional roles, though I feel not working atm my voice and opinion is taaken as seriously by DH as it was when I was the main breadwinner. Regardless of my right to vote and be heard I still enjoy being feminine n being cared for and respected as a woman. :)

Barb L, you remind me of a hilarious story I experienced. A well known feminist was talking to a woman about their daughters, and the feminist was expressing horror that the other woman's (an academic secretary) daughter was marrying and planning to stay home, and saying that their daughters' generation did not apprieciate the fight that these women had had. The feminist asked the other woman what she would have been if she could have been anything and not subjected to the dominian of men to be "merely" administartion..and the other woman, getting obviously annoyed with the feminists attacki on her daughter hissed "a houdsewife, but we had bills to pay" I giggled in the corner!
In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:57 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
Please excuse me for being so late to this gathering of you ladies (and guys)

Amber...Let me assure you and others that Chilvary is not dead!! It does exist and prospers in many areas. I see it alot here in my area..It is as much a part of me as the beat of my heart...it is done without thinking, there is no real conscious thought..it just happens! To be otherwise would be totally foreign...
You women can be "I am woman. I am strong" and still deserve/expect to be treated and respected as a lady!

Thank you Ma'am, for allowing me to interupt your discussion with my brief comments.

Uncle Bob
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:08 AM   #25
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I`m one of those "Bad Guys" as outlined in the defintion set in post #3
where I come from, The men are Men and the Women are Gratefull

(may as well live up to the stereo-type).
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:51 AM   #26
Senior Cook
There have been a number of times when Crystal Is cold, but won't admit it to me. No matter how many times I ask her if she is she'll say she's fine. I've learned to just take off my jacket and give it to her. Lemme say, she looks really cute in my Mustang jacket! LOL!!

I've run into 2 or 3 "feminists" when holding doors, only one of them really said anything. Her boyfriend looked as if he was her slave. It was kinda scary. I said something to her, don't remember exactly what, but something along the lines of, "Women complain about chilvary being dead, but when a guy acts chilvarous, women get offended. What gives?" I wanted to say something about how she looked like a man and how if she didn't put a bra on . . . . . . Well, we all know what would have happened there. LOL! But I was a good boy and bit my tounge.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:57 PM   #27
Chivalry is not dead just try opening up your eyes to nicer guys you wouldn't have noticed before.
Cooking is my art!
philly29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #28
Master Chef
I grew up around chivalrous men who treated me like a lady, and I expected, and got, the same from my boyfriends.
I've seen how the younger men treat their girlfriends these days, and I must say I don't approve. But the young women don't seem to expect any better, and I suppose the feminist movement is largely the cause of that. Or perhaps it's the way they were raised. Maybe people are just getting lazy about using good manners.
Those same young men are very polite to me though...perhaps because I'm an older lady who walks with a cane.
By the way, don't get the idea that I disapprove the feminist movement. I AM woman, and I AM strong! I've proved that in many ways in my lifetime.

That doesn't mean I can't enjoy having the door opened for me.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #29
Chief Eating Officer
I see it every day. The majority of guys I see act chivalrous as a matter of fact. I see men holding doors open, letting the ladies go first, giving up a seat, etc. i actually see it more than I don't.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:45 PM   #30
One of the things I cherish about Ken is how chivalrous he is. He never fails to open and close doors for me, help me into and out of cars etc etc. He never even thinks about it, just does it. He does it for his mom and mine too. Its one of those things I am glad my daughters see so that they know what to look for in a boyfriend/husband.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote