"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-18-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
Executive Chef

ISO help with old dog

I have only one dog left after losing the other two. This one is so lost as she is going blind and cannot hear at all. She is little shi ztu and I let her sleep on my bed as my sympathy goes overboard. Last nite the bed was wet. No matter if I would scold her for anything she doesn't hear and just repeats the problem again. When anything gets old, have to take accept lot of accidents that they normally would not do.

Could you tell me how to handle this easy so not to hurt her feelings? I know she wants to be close to someone so she can feel them more than see or hear. Thanks for understanding.

This is really embarrassing and I know you all will put yourself in my place. Thanks for your time.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
Everymom

Do you have a pet store that stocks those "puppy pads"? They are for house training, but they are absorbent and would do the job.

If you don't have that available, I would go to a baby supply store and buy some plastic backed mattress pads for cribs. That would do the job and be more environmentally friendly as well. Good luck ITK.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've seen the puppy pads at our area Wal-Mart stores. If you can't get them, you might get the pads that are used in beds for the elderly. They're usually in the department where sanitary napkins, etc. are stocked.

ITK, I'm sure your doggie appreciates your love and efforts.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Just in case your dog doesn't like the feel of the puppy pads, you might cover them with an old sheet which you can then wash.
I am truly happy that you are being so considerate of your old friend.
It always hurts to lose a pet.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
Executive Chef

How old is your dog? You may want to bring this up to your vet. Dogs don't just wet themselves. There may be some king of infection or something. Also, if you leave water out, get it out of reach around dinner time. I know my mutt's routine like the back of my hand, try and work around that. But first, ask your vet.

Do not scold you dog either. The dog may not have control over wetting the bed.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
Master Chef

Jeekinz is right -- get your dog checked out. The urination could be a UTI or another condition. Even if it isn't, there is medication that can sometimes help dogs with continence issues.

My beagle wore a baby diaper. We rigged up a clip system and he wore the diaper sideways.

A "wee wee" pad or a sanitary napkin and a plastic mattress pad should address the situation.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
Everymom

ITK, I changed the name of your thread so more folks will help you out.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
Sous Chef

ITK, please check with your vet. There could be something that can be done medically.

We had a little foster Pug/chichuahua with epilepsy. If she had seizures at night we'd have to get up and change all the bedding. Really a hassle - we got one of the rubberized baby crib pads, put a folded bath towel on that and she slept there - solved the problem until we got her on meds that stopped the seizures.

You can also get "***** britches" at pet supply stores - they are normally used for female dogs in heat, plastic lined and you secure a sanitary napkin in them and put them on the dog (there's a hole for the tail). For male dogs "belly bands" really work well, again a sanitary napkin provides the absorbant protection and a fabric band with velcro holds it in place.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:50 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Understanding

All of you are so understanding. Just hope you don't have heartache with your friends. My dog follows me around just to try to see me what she can. It is just hard for me to know that this is the beginning. Just breaks my heart and I want to cry when I see how dependent she is. ( she is the one who bites on her paws and the vet gives her steroids to stop it) just let her chew. I think the steroids are worse. Have tried all suggestions and still persists.

i have to go to the store and see what they have available for the bed. I just don't want to make her feel unwanted at this point. Always looking for the other dog. When we put the one with diabetes down the vet acted as if he wanted to be there alone. He said you know how we did to your other dog. This dog was so weak just laid on the table and did not show no feeling at all. She was one smart dog and she knew what was going to take place. No fooling her.

Better get going see if I can get something or else will just have to use some kind of old blanket till I do. This is first dog that has ever done this and I was really ashamed to ask but I am thankful I did cause you all feel the pain too.

Thank you all very much.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Alix

You are so special! You truly are considerate of me and my dog. We both are getting up in age and I know when your time comes someone will be 'special' to you too. You always seem to take the time to help me understand no matter what it is. I am so grateful you are here. Please don't ever leave cause the world needs people like you. I appreciate everyone who love their animals to offer advice and thoughts. Just is so durn depressing and breaks my heart.

The dog was behind the door when I came up from the basement and pushed her away. She knows she is old. I just don't see her and sometimes she doesn't hear either. What can you do when you love something so much? Even the family doesn't show me the kind of love she does.