"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Executive Chef

ISO natural cat repellent

Hi guys, I was hoping someone can help me. I want to make a natural repellent that is inexpensive (since it would have to be applied frequently)and also non-toxic to animals. I have a huge problem with stray cats messing in the yard. I was told by Natural Living Center that peppermint oil works, however that is not very cost effective. Any suggestions that are tried and true?

Old 01-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

I suspect those cats are "messing" in your landscaping, beds, etc. You might want to try laying down a band of chicken wire around the inside perimeter of the most effected areas, as cats don't like to walk on strange/unfamiliar things. This may be a bit unsightly, but I guess it depends on how badly you want to rid yourself of the buried cat dung. Alternatively, you could generously sprinkle cayenne pepper all over the place as well, but after a rain/moisture it becomes ineffective. My natural solution to that problem has been two German Shepherds for the past 12 years, no cats within charging distance.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I have heard of moth balls, years ago we had a stray that would hide under my bushes, waiting for the birds to feed out of the feeder. Been so long ago - can't remember if it worked- sorrry ! I just sprinkled a few around the bush. Read about it on the internet. They do stink !
Old 01-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
Hi guys, I was hoping someone can help me. I want to make a natural repellent that is inexpensive (since it would have to be applied frequently)and also non-toxic to animals. I have a huge problem with stray cats messing in the yard. I was told by Natural Living Center that peppermint oil works, however that is not very cost effective. Any suggestions that are tried and true?
Maybe diluting it in water or a cheap cooking oil would work. I've never tried that, but it's a thought.

Barbara
Old 01-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
A big dog works well.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I use peppermint oil to repel rodents and raccoons - they really hate it. The stuff is pricey if you buy it at WalMart, etc. in the 4 oz. bottles. I recently bought a 16 oz. bottle here for ~29.00
http://www.nutritiongeeks.com/detail...FUtyOAodECewXg
I haven't tried diluting it but I'll bet you could with mineral oil or something like that. This stuff is really strong so a little goes a long way. I put it in a spray bottle full strength for my attic and at my coast house, a couple of drops on a cotton ball in closets, under the stove, etc. keeps mice at bay. Stray cats I don't know about, though.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
...peppermint oil to repel rodents and raccoons - they really hate it. ...a couple of drops on a cotton ball in closets, under the stove, etc. keeps mice at bay.
Thanks Fisher's Mom! I'm going to have to try this for mice. I have had to resort to poison, as nothing else was working, and I really don't want to have that around. It's where the dog can't get to it, and where the cats don't go, but it is inconvenient and messy once they start eating it and spreading little bits of it. Not to mention finding dead mice in the cupboard or on the counter. Yuck. If the peppermint oil keeps them away, that would be better.

Barbara
Old 01-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Senior Cook

We had a horrible problem with feral cats when we moved into our house three years ago. They used our palapa as a scratching post & litter box. When it rained the smell of urine was horrific. My mother gave me a book, "1001 All Natural Secrets to a Pest-Free Property", by Dr. Myles H. Bader. On page 222, in the chapter for cats....."The cat formula for keeping kitties out of soft garden beds & using it a a latrine is a little different than for dogs. Mix together 2 T of cayenne pepper, 3 T of powdered Chinese Mustard, 4 T of all-purpose flour in 2 quarts of warm tap water. Allow it to stand for 1 hour before straining & placing the mixture in a spray bottle. This will repel a mountain lion as well."

I did this & sprayed it all over our palapa. I even put it into 2 super soaker water guns which I kept by the back door & on the roof. When the cats started to avoid the palapa & hung out in the back yard, I would sneak out back with the super soaker. They would stare me down until they got hit & would tear out of there. I am happy to say, we no longer have a problem with feral cats.

A few other suggestions from the cat chapter......cats are afraid of snakes, put an old garden hose in your yard. Plant cat nip far away from your yard. Cat's don't like the herb "rue." If you scatter rue leaves around the areas that they frequent they will leave quickly. If you plant rue in your yard, they will stay away from it. Good luck!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Thanks Fisher's Mom! I'm going to have to try this for mice. I have had to resort to poison, as nothing else was working, and I really don't want to have that around. It's where the dog can't get to it, and where the cats don't go, but it is inconvenient and messy once they start eating it and spreading little bits of it. Not to mention finding dead mice in the cupboard or on the counter. Yuck. If the peppermint oil keeps them away, that would be better.

Barbara
We had a problem with mice too....you'd think the feral cats would have gotten them all. Anyways, I tried the cotton balls with peppermint & it didn't work too well. Maybe Mexican mice like peppermint.

I was worried about poison because of my dog & young son (2 1/2), I put out the sticky traps that are non toxic. I put a piece of a dog biscuit on it & they worked very well. It is a little unpleasant when you catch them, they just get stuck, they don't necessarily die. But it took care of the problem. Also remove any food sources. They love dog biscuits. I put all my "treats" in tupperware now instead of ziplocks. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
A Doberman Pincer!