ISO of help with iPad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
and other techy devises. I am embarrassed to admit that even though I have owned the iPad for years, it was a present, I have no idea about even simple things. I see all kind of people are watching movies on iPads on the plain, for example. How do they get it on the iPad? How do download? Where do you get it? I asked this one guy one the plain today if he bought it of the iTunes, his respond was a long look and then he says, "well... you know..."

Well, I do not know. :( Can somebody enlighten me. You can PM me in private.

I learned most of what I know about our Apple devices from Google and You Tube, but really the best resource was our nieces and nephews under the age of 12, you know the age were they still talk to adults without rolling their eyes and heaving a huge sigh before they do say anything :)

Last edited:
Charlie, if you have HBO and/or Cinemax on your home TV, they will give you free access to lots of movies, I got them through my DirecTV account. You do need to download the apps from iTunes. Go to iTunes and search movie apps. Amazon Prime will allow access to movies, you can do a 30 day trial, after that it's $9.95 a month, I think. Seems to me you can get a Netflix account on your iPad if you already have one.

Since Verizon canceled my unlimited bandwidth, I don't watch movies on my iPad (sore subject) since it uses up too much bandwidth.

Thank you. Yes, I know about those kind of ways. But, they require wi if connection. I am talking about Plane. Where there is no wifi. Netflix or Amazon prime also do not let you download their movies, only streaming. Unless I do not know what I'm talking about .

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

You can rent or buy them too. No need for wifi, they go into the queue. Also, American and Delta, for 2, offer GoGo wifi (for a price of course!)

Yes, "for the price" is the part I am trying to avoid.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

What I do is download a couple of movies from ITunes prior to our departure so I have it on the device (we have an IPod, IPad and an IPhone) to watch in the airport and on the plane.
Is that what you mean?
This way you don't need the Airlines WiFi to watch something.
What I found the last time we flew on SouthWest is, you need to download their app to your device prior to departure (note to self!) if you want to watch the free programs that they offer during the flight.
I should think about looking at how HawaiianAir is doing it now, before we go back home next year (ding! another note to self)

It could be that the reason the gentleman was so evasive with his answer is that there are legal and not-so-legal means for putting movies on devices. For example, transferring a movie from DVD to a MPEG file and putting the file on your device, even if you own the DVD, is illegal. Lots of people do it anyway, but most people don't want to admit it because it's... well... illegal.

The only legal way I know of is the one that the Hawaiian lady suggests above. Get an iTunes or Amazon account and purchase movies by downloading them to your device before you leave on trips.

Or get a DVD or Blu Ray that you can plug into your iPad. I don't own anything made by Apple, so I don't know if that's an option.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom