"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
ISO reliable treatment for my RLS (restless leg syndrome)

i've had rls for many years, and have been using the drug requip to relieve my symptoms. for the first time, i have needed to pay for a prescription of requip myself--it costs more than $300.00 per month--YIKES!!! i can't afford this drug but need alternative ideas for treatment of my condition, which has become quite severe in the last few years. the leg jerking occurs at times during the day, not only at nighttime, and frequently awakens me fro a sound sleep.

recently i have been reading about my condition on the internet. i see that an iron supplement might be effective, also balsamic vinegar--some nasty stuff when you're drinking it down full strength, though.

do any of you folks out there have any first-hand knowledge about treatment of rls--homeopathic, otc or any other kind of treatment? i sure would like to hear from you. i need help soon--anything i might try while i still have my backup requip medicine. 300 dollars a month i cannot absolutely cannot afford without giving up food....

__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i've had rls for many years, and have been using the drug requip to relieve my symptoms. for the first time, i have needed to pay for a prescription of requip myself--it costs more than $300.00 per month--YIKES!!! i can't afford this drug but need alternative ideas for treatment of my condition, which has become quite severe in the last few years. the leg jerking occurs at times during the day, not only at nighttime, and frequently awakens me fro a sound sleep.

recently i have been reading about my condition on the internet. i see that an iron supplement might be effective, also balsamic vinegar--some nasty stuff when you're drinking it down full strength, though.

do any of you folks out there have any first-hand knowledge about treatment of rls--homeopathic, otc or any other kind of treatment? i sure would like to hear from you. i need help soon--anything i might try while i still have my backup requip medicine. 300 dollars a month i cannot absolutely cannot afford without giving up food....
More people have had good results with quinine. Ask your doc about it and it's cheap. A muscle relaxant before bedtime might help, too. I firmly believe in adequate calcium, magnesium and potassium in your diet, taking supplements if you have to.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,341
Quinine makes me think of tonic water which makes me think of gin which makes me think of gin and tonic. Sounds like a plan.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Quinine makes me think of tonic water which makes me think of gin which makes me think of gin and tonic. Sounds like a plan.

Works for me It's usually what I ask for first, the quinine tablets, when someone is having problems with RLS. The gin is a marvelous muscle relaxant...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
now you're talking!! thanks, i'm going to try that one right away--a way more pleasant "tonic" than vinegar, yukkk!! :)
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
my doctor prescribed klopin. no more restless legs or charlie horses. he told me there is another drug used for parkinson that works on restless legs as well. check with your doctor.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo
my doctor prescribed klopin. no more restless legs or charlie horses. he told me there is another drug used for parkinson that works on restless legs as well. check with your doctor.
Way back when, my granddad was on L-dopa for his Parkinson's. If it's a drug used now for RLS it would be very cheap.

Gin and quinine sounds like a good place to start, Vit! Don't forget the lime!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
I am on Gabapentin which is a drug for seizures. When I had the open wound on my leg, it would jerk with so much pain. So in essence my leg was having seizures. That is no longer a problem, but now I have RLS and my doctor has kept me on that drug. Works fine for me. But it is a strong medicine, so I wouldn't even think of recommending it or for them to even ask their doctor. Aside from stopping the leg from seizing, it is also a pain killer. I am on 800 mil. a day.

I do find that bananas are a tremendous help for leg cramping. I try to eat one every day. I get the pygmy bananas. If I go more than three or four days without one, my leg starts cramping really bad.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Posts: 4,884
You can buy the generic equivalent, Ropinirole, for a lot less at a Canadian pharmacy. You just need your doctor to fax them your prescription.

You should also check with both Target and Wally World to see if this generic is in their $4.00 or $10.00 generic drugs program.

Of course, you can always get yourself a treadmill or Lifecycle.
__________________
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,284
Vitaula--make sure you also drink at least 8 = 8 oz glasses of water each day. When I was training as a x-country skier (another lifetime, another story), I'd have horrible leg cramps in my calves if I didn't drink enough water (dehydration).
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.