"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Executive Chef

ISO reliable treatment for my RLS (restless leg syndrome)

i've had rls for many years, and have been using the drug requip to relieve my symptoms. for the first time, i have needed to pay for a prescription of requip myself--it costs more than $300.00 per month--YIKES!!! i can't afford this drug but need alternative ideas for treatment of my condition, which has become quite severe in the last few years. the leg jerking occurs at times during the day, not only at nighttime, and frequently awakens me fro a sound sleep.

recently i have been reading about my condition on the internet. i see that an iron supplement might be effective, also balsamic vinegar--some nasty stuff when you're drinking it down full strength, though.

do any of you folks out there have any first-hand knowledge about treatment of rls--homeopathic, otc or any other kind of treatment? i sure would like to hear from you. i need help soon--anything i might try while i still have my backup requip medicine. 300 dollars a month i cannot absolutely cannot afford without giving up food....

Old 06-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i've had rls for many years, and have been using the drug requip to relieve my symptoms. for the first time, i have needed to pay for a prescription of requip myself--it costs more than $300.00 per month--YIKES!!! i can't afford this drug but need alternative ideas for treatment of my condition, which has become quite severe in the last few years. the leg jerking occurs at times during the day, not only at nighttime, and frequently awakens me fro a sound sleep.

recently i have been reading about my condition on the internet. i see that an iron supplement might be effective, also balsamic vinegar--some nasty stuff when you're drinking it down full strength, though.

do any of you folks out there have any first-hand knowledge about treatment of rls--homeopathic, otc or any other kind of treatment? i sure would like to hear from you. i need help soon--anything i might try while i still have my backup requip medicine. 300 dollars a month i cannot absolutely cannot afford without giving up food....
More people have had good results with quinine. Ask your doc about it and it's cheap. A muscle relaxant before bedtime might help, too. I firmly believe in adequate calcium, magnesium and potassium in your diet, taking supplements if you have to.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Quinine makes me think of tonic water which makes me think of gin which makes me think of gin and tonic. Sounds like a plan.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Quinine makes me think of tonic water which makes me think of gin which makes me think of gin and tonic. Sounds like a plan.

Works for me It's usually what I ask for first, the quinine tablets, when someone is having problems with RLS. The gin is a marvelous muscle relaxant...
Old 06-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
Executive Chef

now you're talking!! thanks, i'm going to try that one right away--a way more pleasant "tonic" than vinegar, yukkk!! :)
Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

my doctor prescribed klopin. no more restless legs or charlie horses. he told me there is another drug used for parkinson that works on restless legs as well. check with your doctor.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo
my doctor prescribed klopin. no more restless legs or charlie horses. he told me there is another drug used for parkinson that works on restless legs as well. check with your doctor.
Way back when, my granddad was on L-dopa for his Parkinson's. If it's a drug used now for RLS it would be very cheap.

Gin and quinine sounds like a good place to start, Vit! Don't forget the lime!
Old 06-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I am on Gabapentin which is a drug for seizures. When I had the open wound on my leg, it would jerk with so much pain. So in essence my leg was having seizures. That is no longer a problem, but now I have RLS and my doctor has kept me on that drug. Works fine for me. But it is a strong medicine, so I wouldn't even think of recommending it or for them to even ask their doctor. Aside from stopping the leg from seizing, it is also a pain killer. I am on 800 mil. a day.

I do find that bananas are a tremendous help for leg cramping. I try to eat one every day. I get the pygmy bananas. If I go more than three or four days without one, my leg starts cramping really bad.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
Executive Chef

You can buy the generic equivalent, Ropinirole, for a lot less at a Canadian pharmacy. You just need your doctor to fax them your prescription.

You should also check with both Target and Wally World to see if this generic is in their $4.00 or $10.00 generic drugs program.

Of course, you can always get yourself a treadmill or Lifecycle.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Vitaula--make sure you also drink at least 8 = 8 oz glasses of water each day. When I was training as a x-country skier (another lifetime, another story), I'd have horrible leg cramps in my calves if I didn't drink enough water (dehydration).