Looks Like A Fun Thing To Do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That does look like a fun thing to do...wonder if I could get Upper Canada Village to do s/thing like that...a lot closer to home (and, the farm is just around the corner, so I could host a fellow DCer or two!).

That does look like a fun thing to do...wonder if I could get Upper Canada Village to do s/thing like that...a lot closer to home (and, the farm is just around the corner, so I could host a fellow DCer or two!).

Why not? The worst thing that could happen is that they say No. Gove it a shot. :angel:

Old Sturbridge Village in MA also has hearth dinners which have "audience" participation. It seems to be a common theme among recreated/restored historical towns. OSV's seems to be a bit less ambitious than Deerfield's event, so this might give you other options for flexibility if you have a chance to do this up by you CW.

Hearthside Bounty

Old Sturbridge Village in MA also has hearth dinners which have "audience" participation. It seems to be a common theme among recreated/restored historical towns. OSV's seems to be a bit less ambitious than Deerfield's event, so this might give you other options for flexibility if you have a chance to do this up by you CW.

Hearthside Bounty

I love Sturbridge Village. Been there several times. Plymouth Plantation also does the same. And they have a great feast at Thanksgiving. But you have to get your reservation in real early. Mostly because so many celebrities are invited for free. Usually the Governor for one. Even the Wamponog Indians. What I love about PP is that they all speak in the language of the time with the accent. And they never come out of character :angel:

that looks really cool. i would love to wear a hoop skirt and cook on a hearth. :rolleyes::)

but seriously, it is a fun thing to do. as any leathered camper knows, it's and art to cook on an open fire. a hearth takes cave man to real cooking with better control and tools.

here's uncle bob, bolas and pacanus (again) , and hoot?

that looks really cool. i would love to wear a hoop skirt and cook on a hearth. :rolleyes::)

but seriously, it is a fun thing to do. as any leathered camper knows, it's and art to cook on an open fire. a hearth takes cave man to real cooking with better control and tools.

here's uncle bob, bolas and pacanus (again) , and hoot?

My sister and I, when we had the Girl Scout troop, taught the girls how to cook their meals over a campfire. It was either learn or go hungry. They had to cook their breakfast and lunch over the fire. Supper was an all pitch in, in the camp kitchen. It was how they earned a few badges. By day two, they all thought it was fun. :angel:

'Cept for the bugs, flying ash in the food, and smoke getting in your eyes, and remembering that the handles are likely hot, the trick to successful cooking over an open fire is learning to manage the heat and the woodpile. :LOL:

'Cept for the bugs, flying ash in the food, and smoke getting in your eyes, and remembering that the handles are likely hot, the trick to successful cooking over an open fire is learning to manage the heat and the woodpile. :LOL:

When you are having fun and enjoy what you are doing, you don't mind those little irritants. :angel:

My sister and I, when we had the Girl Scout troop, taught the girls how to cook their meals over a campfire. It was either learn or go hungry. They had to cook their breakfast and lunch over the fire. Supper was an all pitch in, in the camp kitchen. It was how they earned a few badges. By day two, they all thought it was fun. :angel:
I was a Girl Guide (=Girl Scouts) and loved camp but Addie's post reminded me of one occasion when we were trying to cook lunch over the campfire in a total downpour. I was wetter than the billy can of boiling potatoes! Fortunately, the wood was kept under cover so we were able to keep re-lighting the fire! It nearly put me off Guides for life!

Hoot, when is that 1840s re-enactment event you like to do? Are you still doing that?

i would love to go to a rendezvous. i'm still trying to talk dw into letting me take the boy out on the appalachian trail for a few nights.

i guess all of the jokes about not having to out run the angry bear didn't go over very well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom