"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 08-12-2007, 11:06 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
no excuses, shannon.

get back here soon!

good to see you, btw.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:30 PM   #12
Cooking Links Contest Winner
Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
awww thanks for all the wishes! That's why I love y'all! Always make everyone feel so welcome, anytime! I was wondering if I needed to put this post in the introductions! SSSSSSSSOOOOO many new members, it's awesome!!!! Well, I am off to Home Depot to buy paint.... 6 more days!!!

~ Shannon

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:20 AM   #13
Master Chef
I wish I could remember which author of which self-help book came up with it, but she listed all the most stressful things in life. People don't understand sometimes that the happiest occaisions are also stressful. I've owned three houses (one, I married my husband and his tax man told him he had to buy some property, so it came with the marriage. Two, we built a new home when he retired from the Army. Three, we bought the 150+ year old house we now live in). Each even was so nerve wracking that I thought I would go crazy. Happy events, but still it is a huge investment. I'd have to constantly tell myself to just think of what I'd be paying in rent, money you never see again. And for me it is never is isolation. I was getting married the first time, and the last two times my mother was very, very sick. The middle time my sister and my best friend got married that year (No, not to each other! to men!) and I was an attendant at both weddings, my grandmother and my mother-in-law died, my father-in-law was diagnosed with alzeimers.

So give yourself a break. Fill that new kitchen with your favorite goodies and pamper yourself.

If I had one bit of advice to a new, first-time homeowner is don't let the clutter take over your life. If you haven't used it or worn it in a year, visit Goodwill (or some place similar). Obviously this doesn't include seasonal stuff for holidays. Clutter just makes it harder to keep a house up. I'm trying to figure out when you started this thread, but when you move from your rental to your house, get rid of as much as you can possibley bear to part with. I've moved an average of every 3 years of my life, and I hate opening a box in my "new home" (be it owned, rented, or military housing) and finding a box of stuff that makes me think, "I must be out of my mind, why did I keep this c**p?" Stuff gets out of hand very easily, and can turn your new home into one big guilt trip.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote