"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #71
Master Chef

Vera,

there are some things you should think about before you go to the shelter...

Do you want to have two young kittens? Maybe cats about one or two years old would do to? Mostly they are harder to place..
Maybe they have a "couple" they want to give away together, because they are used to each other...
do you want them to stay in the house or will they be able to go out, too?
I'm not a fan of collars for cats, sometimes there are stories about cats who strangled themselves with it...
What about chipping ot tatooing? Is it usual in your country?

But after all it's a great idea!!

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #72
Executive Chef

So, when I was posting earliler this morning I was sporting the mother of all headaches brought on by Lou and I consuming overmuch quantities of really great rum the night before. I'd made up my mind to go the shelter but adoptions didn't begin till 1pm. Horrid as I felt, I had to get to the market first...so I went out to start the car.
When I came back in to take a quick inventory I glanced in the yard, as I always do. There was Maxi (I'm pretty sure it's a girl) sunning herself on the potters bench as she always does. I ran down to the basement and opened the back door, calling for her. She came running across the snowy icy lawn, almost slipping on it, stopping right in the open doorway. I was so happy to see her that all thoughts of catnapping went right out my head as I scooped her up. I put her down on the floor and she immediately went to where I'd had her dishes. Only the water dish was there, however. While I may be a poor housekeeper, even I won't leave a crusty cat food dish lying about. I took the dish stand upstairs and she made it up the stairs faster than I did. I opened a 6oz can of food for her. She proceeded to wolf it down in less than 5 minutes. I'm convinced no one is feeding her or the others, for that matter. If that was the case, no way she would have eaten all that food. She even drank half the bowl of water.

I had to leave for the market, and continued to shop with a mixture of happiness for the return and misery for the ice pick that was still imbedded in my left eye.

I bought a cat carrier while I was out. I'm going to take her to a vet tomorrow. They are open on Sundays, yes?

I see absolutely no clues beneath her tail. Does that not suggest girl?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Oh, Vera, I'm so happy for you I have tears streaming down my cheeks. Maxi clearly loves you.

Don't know about vets being open on Sunday. The ones here aren't. You could probably seek out an emergency animal hospital but that would be $$$$$, so I'd recommend another solution.

If you can keep Maxi inside and comfy until someone can get her to see the kitty doc, that would probably be your best bet.

As for determining if Maxi is a male or female, look at MexicoKaren's thread about her new baby. I posted a link on "sexing" kittens. That might help you.

Hang in there and give Maxi a nice big snuggly kiss for me.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #74
Master Chef

Yea for Maxi !! I am so glad she showed up ! I don't know which vets you have in your area , not all are open on Sundays, so better check the phone book or if you have family or friends who go to a vet in your area , and can recommend one . Maxi knows which side the bread is buttered. I am sure she picked you for her servant ....errr I mean owner.
Do post some photos when you can...
Old 01-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #75
Executive Chef

Whenever Coco gets home I'll post pictures. Or, more correctly, she'll post pictures. I can make profiteroles like nobody I know..but cannot get the technology of my own camera.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #76
Head Chef

Smile

OH VB, I am so glad he/she returned. I have been following this story and hoping she would find her way back. This is such a great ending. Please post some pictures.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #77
Head Chef

I'm so glad Maxi is back, VB! It's worrying when they disappear like that. It sounds as though she may have been accidentally locked in a building or garage somewhere and as soon as she could, she came running home!

I don't know of any vets other than emergency hospitals that are open on Sundays. My vet is open in the morning on Saturdays so there may well be one open there on Saturday mornings (sometimes it's by appointment only so you may want to find one that's open and schedule one for next saturday).
Old 01-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #78
Executive Chef

WooHoo! Maxie has returned. The lack of visible cojones suggests either a female or an altered male. If Maxie lets you cuddle much, you might take a glance at the underbelly. Often times females that have kittens stashed somewhere will display erratic comings and goings. If you notice mammary glands that seem prominent and/or each nipple is very visible, Maxie may be a female with nurslings somewhere. If Maxie gets very desperate to get out later, that may account for it. If you are able to get a closer look at Maxie's nether regions, an altered male will have a urinary opening that resembles a little dot. A female will have a urinary opening that resembles a vertical line.

I love reading your installments, Vera. It's way better than TV!
Old 01-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #79
Executive Chef

Vera, this might help you tell if it's Max or Maxine!
How do you tell the sex of a cat? | Ask Metafilter
Scroll down to the second reply and click on the links in a post by 31d1 titled Warning:Kitty Pron.
HTH
Old 01-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #80
Master Chef

Vera, I know the economy stinks right now but if you do decide to keep Max or adopt any kittens-- and you definitely have a "cat profile" (you're creative) get them neutered.....that in itself will help them to stick around and not roam as much (though I'm not sure about Max), and become "randy" and throw off more kittens.........I'm really glad that Max or Maxine showed up......face it, Girl, you're hooked :):):)