Medical Marijuana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you sure it is BPH you are talking about and not CBD? CBD has been shown to have positive effects on seizures and has no role in intoxication. I have never heard of BPH in relation to marijuana and a quick Google search did not turn up anything.

My point, however, was that removing the CBD, while it might be technically possible, also removes other benefits and the only reason it is done is because there is a stigma associated with marijuana perpetrated by people who did so not because the plant is harmful, but because it put $ in their pockets to do so.

Sorry GB. You are correct. CDB is the chemical. Not sure where bph came from and thanks for pointing that out.
I cannot edit my first post, but I think I have time left to edit my last post!

Nope to late. Could not edit out bph. Sorry forum for the bad info.

Last edited:
I think I dropped a sentence...I would rather they smoked pot than have to depend on Megace to get their appetites back. Thanks, GB!

I've seen Megace do amazing work in increasing the appetites of our elders. I've seen those who are going through chemo, be able to tolerate it and actually thrive while smoking pot while in treatment for their cancer. I do not believe it should be treated as a prescription drug, I do agree that it should be considered the same as Alcohol and Cigarettes.

I would love to be able to go the the nearest shop and pick up a few joints for my patients.
Are there drugs in the US that can be prescription or not? Like Nicorette here in Canada. You can get it OTC or on 'scrip. If it's on 'scrip, drug insurance covers it, there is no sales tax, and it is a medical expense for income tax purposes. I think that would be the way to go with MM.

Here your doctor can prescribe supplements, etc and insurance will pay. So I imagine a prescription for MJ would be covered the same as any other 'script. Of course, pharmacies do not have to have it in their stock and Insurance companies can not have it in their listing as a formulary medication and you would pay for it at a higher price.

Are there drugs in the US that can be prescription or not? Like Nicorette here in Canada. You can get it OTC or on 'scrip. If it's on 'scrip, drug insurance covers it, there is no sales tax, and it is a medical expense for income tax purposes. I think that would be the way to go with MM.

I just checked my receipt and no taxes were taken out on my monthly RX.
And yes, my doctor can write me a prescription for an OTC product and I only pay the co-pay. Whichever is lower.

I agree it should be treated just like any other prescription if thats the way the law will be.
Personally decriminalization is what I would prefer.

I use one Rx drug that's available OTC. The insurance company fills it and charges me a minimal copay. Sooner or later, they'll wise up and tell me to bug off.

Just FYI, OTC and Rx drugs/supplements are not the same. The manufacturing standards of Rx drugs are regulated by the FDA while OTC ones are not. This means that OTC items may or not contain what the container claims.

My doc says take Vit D3 5000mg...it's cheaper OTC than my co-pay would be, I buy the same ones the pharmacy would fill the order with, same with my CoQ-10 300 mg, exactly the same as the pharmacy fills with, 81 mg aspirin, same thing. I'm not worried about the quality of my supplements and OTC meds.

My doc says take Vit D3 5000mg...it's cheaper OTC than my co-pay would be, I buy the same ones the pharmacy would fill the order with, same with my CoQ-10 300 mg, exactly the same as the pharmacy fills with, 81 mg aspirin, same thing. I'm not worried about the quality of my supplements and OTC meds.

This is the important thing: You're buying the Rx version.

Someone asked me privately about this. Here's some info:

http://www.health.gov/dietsupp/execsum.htm

SAFETY OF DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS

The Commission considers it axiomatic that all marketed dietary supplements should be safe. Congress, in reflecting on the issues associated with safety, concludes in DSHEA that dietary supplements "are safe within a broad range of intake, and safety problems with the supplements are relatively rare." Congress emphasizes in the Act that the government should take swift action when safety problems arise but should not impose unreasonable barriers or limit access to safe products.

http://www.quackwatch.org/02ConsumerProtection/dshea.html
Many people think that dietary supplements and herbs are closely regulated to ensure that they are safe, effective, and truthfully advertised. Nothing could be further from the truth. Although some aspects of marketing are regulated, the United States Congress has concluded that "informed" consumers need little government protection. This conclusion was embodied in the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994—commonly referred to as "DSHEA"—which severely limits the FDA's ability to regulate these products.

Just FYI, OTC and Rx drugs/supplements are not the same. The manufacturing standards of Rx drugs are regulated by the FDA while OTC ones are not. This means that OTC items may or not contain what the container claims.

When my insurance covered OTC prilosec, the druggist walked over to the shelf and picked up the same box as anyone else could.
He put an RX sticker on it with date just as if he filled it himself.

Later when the insurance company decided they were no longer to cover the OTC, the doctor wrote me a prescription for it and then the druggist actually filled it behind the counter.

The first RX was written as OTC on the prescription. The later was written with just the drug name. OTC was not written on the script.

Last edited:
When my insurance covered OTC prilosec, the druggist walked over to the shelf and picked up the same box as anyone else could.
He put an RX sticker on it with date just as if he filled it himself.

Later when the insurance company decided they were no longer to cover the OTC, the doctor wrote me a prescription for it and then the druggist actually filled it behind the counter.

The first RX was written as OTC on the prescription. The later was written with just the drug name. OTC was not written on the script.

Oops, my mistake. I said drugs/supplements and the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) only applies to dietary supplements.

Back
Top Bottom