Memorial Day Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
I would like to honor and remember my dad LeRoy, on this Memorial Day . He served in World War II. Dad passed away in 1995 and I still miss him everyday. He was gone overseas for 2 years, it was so hard on all of us. I thank God he came home safe, so many didn't.

I will salute my father-in-law he served in the Pacific during WW11. I am glad they finally got a memorial in DC to honor the WW11 vets it was a long time coming. I have been married to my wife 36 yrs and I still can't get him to talk about the war, I guess some things are best left unsaid.

later

Some things are too awful to talk about, Run Out. My dad and my FIL were both at Omaha Beach during the invasion. Dad was a motor mac with the navy, and his group went in before invasion actually started, to clear the beach of mines. When the invasion was postponed a day, due to bad weather, the fleet pulled back and left them there.
FIL was a medic with the army.

Neither of them wanted to talk about the gruesome parts, but after I was a grown woman, Dad did tell me some things.

It's enough to say that the tide ran red with the blood of American soldiers.

My dad served in the South Pacific with the 3rd Marine Division during WWII.
They were "touring" the islands. One being Iwo Jima during Feb. and March 1945. He made it home! So many did not. Today remember those that did not return home. They were just young kids.....

I would like to honor Paul - Dove/Marge's beloved husband who passed away all too recently. He was a wonderful man and I feel blessed to have met him - my husband was in awe of him!!!

We are the proud parents of two sons who served our country - one in the navy, the other in the marines.

Buck and I are proud to have the freedom to participate in open forums such as this and we owe that freedom to those who served our country in the past, the present and who will serve in the future.

"America the Beautiful!!"

YT2095 said:
Memorial day????

isn`t that supposed to be Nov 11`th?
or is it an America thing?

Many people confuse Memorial Day and Veterans Day. Memorial Day is a day for remembering and honoring military personnel who died in the service of their country, particularly those who died in battle or as a result of wounds sustained in battle. While those who died are also remembered on Veterans Day, Veterans Day is the day set aside to thank and honor ALL those who served honorably in the military - in wartime or peacetime. In fact, Veterans Day is largely intended to thank LIVING veterans for their service, to acknowledge that their contributions to our national security are appreciated, and to underscore the fact that all those who served - not only those who died - have sacrificed and done their duty.

My dad was a Vietnam Vet.
God bless all those past and present. None will EVER be forgotten!!!
img_444369_0_79118d2d786d586aec584775a522a181.jpg

My uncle was Navy and at Pearl Harbor, my son in the Air Force. There is great respect here in this house for any servieman who sacraficed for our freedom. Last year we went to the cemetary to say a prayer and also some flowers, there were quite a few of us today and we tripled the graves we put flowers on last year. What a feeling of pride for those who loved us and this country so much that, they gave all they had including their lives so we could complete ours. Bless them all.

kadesma

I would like to honor my dad Norman. He never talked about his time in the military, but he was a Marine, I believe it was during the Korean war. He died 5 years ago today on this Memorial Day.

My dad, Art, was a purple heart veteran. He was shot on Anzio beach. I am proud of him. Like the others, he didn't like to talk about his experiences in WWII.

I was born post WWII, a few years after my dad returned home. Growing up I never could relate to the war, it seemed ions away. In recent years I have thought more about the war, the sacrifices that were made, and the brave young men who enlisted to fight for our liberty. I am in awe of their patriotism & their selflessness.

I realize the current war is controversial, but I still stand in awe of the wonderful men and women who love their country and answer the call to serve in order to preserve our freedoms.

Let us remember that freedom isn't free. It was bought with a price.

Back
Top Bottom