"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
Oh don't even get me started on this.
Funny dumb me, I thought I lived in the good ole US of A. Not Mexico
A lady walked in to my salon one day, spoke only Spanish, I was the only one there and she was trying to ask me something, which not speaking Spanish I had no idea where she was going with her words. I kept saying No Espanole, English por favor. She kept up with her Espanole and I finally said, in English, duh, "Maam, you're in America, you need to speak English here." Not that she understood but I felt a bunch better, I then hugged her because I knew she was having a hard time.
I was reluctant to bring up my parents and their life with trying to communicate. Received great deal of ridicule but they said this is America and we have to do accordingly.

I am so thankful LEFSElover that you talked about having an experience like this because it makes me feel better. Better because I know my parents would have done what you expected. When you wanted to tell her you never understood, why did she continue? I have that in the store lot of times. I shrug my shoulders and tell them I don't know but they continue like I SHOULD know what they want. They are the ones who should try to understand you. I AM SORRY but I just don't think this is RIGHT! I remember Ross Perot and Pat Buchanan would have had some kind of rule about this. Thanks LEFSElover for making me feel like I am not alone. AT least I know there is someone else that shares my aggravation. I know it is experience you won't forget.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #42
Head Chef

I think we may be getting dangerously close to politics here, but I just want to share that we are having the exact opposite experience here in Mexico. We live in a small town where very few people speak English. Since we are guests here, we feel it is our obligation to learn Spanish and we are really really trying, believe me. We've been taking classes for two years. Everyone is very kind about our efforts and helps us along. If you want to pay your electric bill, go to the hardware store, employ workers to fix your plumbing, go to the gas station, you have to be able to speak the language. We are doing better all the time, but are by no means fluent. We are at the stage where we can ask about any question, but might not understand the answers!

Old 05-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #43
Certified Pretend Chef

Karen, I salute you and your hubby for realizing you are guests in another country and making the effort to learn their language.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #44
Head Chef

Oh golly, thanks, Andy!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:28 PM   #45
Executive Chef

I agree with Andy. It would be my obligation to make the effort, if in a non-english speaking country.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #46
Executive Chef

See? You people see things the way they should be! Has the amount of people coming in to the United States been so many and so fast that they can't really explain to them what is expected? Must be some break somewhere that isn't being t ended to. I thought that is how it works that you want to blend in not stand out and cause confusion. Only my opinion.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:29 PM   #47
Head Chef

I think there have always been enclaves of immigrants in the US who continue to speak their native languages and uphold their own customs, especially in larger cities. My grandparents came to the US on 1905, and never really spoke much English. German was my Dad's first language, and by going to school, he learned to speak English well. I know people whose families emigrated from Italy, Poland, Belgium - many of them never learned to speak English.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #48
Executive Chef

My grandparents had a hard time at first due to being Norwegian. But soon they learned [to make it here] you had to act like [you wanted to be here/fit in/not stick out like a foreigner]. They were both successful but I think back then, it was different. Now, it's almost rude for us to get annoyed [if that's even the right word] when they openly speak in their language like it's their country where they're from. It's not, it's America. Everyone seems to have forgotten that and as for politics, I don't, repeat don't believe in political correctness. I personally think we've all backed way down for way too long. And if that's wrong of me to say, MODS erase please. But for me and my family, fly that flag Ole Glory and let her wave proudly just like she does real high in my own front yard.

My sons fiance, is Polish from Poland as are her wonderful parents who speak the language as well as anyone here. They are both PHD's but knew to make it here in this country, they'd better at least learn the language.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:05 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
My grandparents had a hard time at first due to being Norwegian. But soon they learned [to make it here] you had to act like [you wanted to be here/fit in/not stick out like a foreigner]. They were both successful but I think back then, it was different. Now, it's almost rude for us to get annoyed [if that's even the right word] when they openly speak in their language like it's their country where they're from. It's not, it's America. Everyone seem to have forgotten that and as for politics, I don't, repeat don't believe in political correctness. I personally think we've all backed way down for way too long. And if that's wrong of me to say, MODS erase please. But for me and my family, fly that flag Ole Glory and let her wave proudly just like she does real high in my own front yard.

My sons fiance, is Polish from Poland as are her wonderful parents who speak the language as well as anyone here. They are both PHD's but knew to make it here in this country, they'd better at least learn the language.
i think u are totally right. no english speakers are a big problem here in ca.
i think the powers that be have given up. everything and even our ballots are in english and spanish. several others are given as well, don't know the names of the rest.

this is america.

babe
Old 05-29-2008, 09:31 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i think u are totally right. no english speakers are a big problem here in ca.
i think the powers that be have given up. everything and even our ballots are in english and spanish. several others are given as well, don't know the names of the rest. this is america.
it's hard to know these days if it's ok to speak your mind. I have no trouble doing that but being offensive to my friends isn't something I would knowingly do.