Most Important Cities in America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd like to nominate fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada as one of the most important cities in America. C'mon now. Be honest. Anybody can name the top cities by population, art, culture, ethnic mix, proximity to beaches, etc... What makes a city truly IMPORTANT? Could it be its place in the consciousness of the culture? Few cities have actual slogans associated with them that are known by virtually the entire population... and I'm not talking about nicknames per se.

New York - 'The Big Apple' (nickname) - 'The City That Never Sleeps' (slogan)
Chicago - 'The Windy City' (nickname) - uhhhhhh (can't think of their slogan)
Las Vegas - 'Sin City' (nickname) - 'What Happens in Vegas....' (slogan)

Search yourself. You know the truth. Vote with your heart. Vote Las Vegas as THE most IMPORTANT city in America.

I'd like to nominate fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada as one of the most important cities in America. C'mon now. Be honest. Anybody can name the top cities by population, art, culture, ethnic mix, proximity to beaches, etc... What makes a city truly IMPORTANT? Could it be its place in the consciousness of the culture? Few cities have actual slogans associated with them that are known by virtually the entire population... and I'm not talking about nicknames per se.

Search yourself. You know the truth. Vote with your heart. Vote Las Vegas as THE most IMPORTANT city in America.

Having been to Las Vegas many times (wife's family lives there), the only thing that appeals to me about the place is that it has more great restaurants per capita than just about anywhere. Other than that, I think it is the cheesiest place on the planet. I do not care for the place at all.

pdswife - you must be an interestng person to know. You have nailed it. Using that thinking, then the other ones are where distant, but loved family and friends live.

AC

pdswife - you must be an interestng person to know. You have nailed it. Using that thinking, then the other ones are where distant, but loved family and friends live.

AC

Not sure about that Adillo, I just think home and family are the most
important things in life. :);):);)

Z, we're walking hand in hand on this one. Been there 2 or 3 times a year sice the late 80's and I never get tired of it!!! LA, Miami, Chicago, etc-to each his own. There are folks out there who prefer Podunk,Nebraska, and god bless em' for it!!

By 2010 the valley will be Mrs SK & I's new home, and we couldn't be more excited!! I Love Las Vegas!!!!:clap:

And let's not leave out the city that brought you Dennis Kusinich (Presidential wanabe), the Cuyahoga River that caught fire on a regular basis during Dennis's reign as Emperor, and subsequently that fine elixer from the Great Lakes Brewing Co. called Burning River Ale. Also home to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and the 0-3 Browns is this city with more last place statistics than I care to share. I bring you the "Mistake on the Lake," Cleveland, OMG, Ohio!

Joe

FYI, I live in the next county east of CLE, so I'm little affected by its poor performance politically, economically or athletically.

Z, we're walking hand in hand on this one. Been there 2 or 3 times a year sice the late 80's and I never get tired of it!!! LA, Miami, Chicago, etc-to each his own. There are folks out there who prefer Podunk,Nebraska, and god bless em' for it!!

By 2010 the valley will be Mrs SK & I's new home, and we couldn't be more excited!! I Love Las Vegas!!!!:clap:

Of course, because I live here and because it's true, Vegas is the most exciting and fascinating city in America, no doubt about that and I too LOVE living here. As for being the most important? No. California feeds 3/4 of the nation so my vote goes to California.

Having been to Las Vegas many times (wife's family lives there), the only thing that appeals to me about the place is that it has more great restaurants per capita than just about anywhere. Other than that, I think it is the cheesiest place on the planet. I do not care for the place at all.

Okay qmax, now I'm curious to know just what exactly do you find "cheesy" about the city of Las Vegas?

I love Vegas. It's a great place to go play for a weekend. Lots and lots of happy memories have been made there...more to come!

Thats what I have been telling my wife. Hopefully we will move next year.

Well I hope it's only Tooele you have a grudge against and not Utah in general (I didn't know there was another fellow Utahn on DC besides LT!).

Move to Logan, it's great up here!

Okay qmax, now I'm curious to know just what exactly do you find "cheesy" about the city of Las Vegas?

Let's see...

Phony New York City
Phony Paris
Phony Venice
Phony Eqypt
Phony Malaysian Resort
Phony Morocco

:LOL:

I'll relent on the point of restaurants (there are fabulous ones there) and I have seen a few good shows. But the gambling is completely lost on me.

...Move to Logan, it's great up here!
My aunt and uncle lived in Logan for awhile. We loved visiting them there. I was a teenager and early twenties when we visited. I remember walking through the canals with our cousin--very cold! One thing that always stands out in my memory is that everything was so green and there were so many pretty flower gardens. We also loved going up to Cache Valley Cheese--watching them make the cheese in those huge vats, and buying cheese curds. Squeeky!

:)Barbara

Let's see...

Phony New York City
Phony Paris
Phony Venice
Phony Eqypt
Phony Malaysian Resort
Phony Morocco

:LOL:

I'll relent on the point of restaurants (there are fabulous ones there) and I have seen a few good shows. But the gambling is completely lost on me.

Awww come on now qmax. You gotta know that the one Strip of road, Las Vegas Blvd. is only 3 miles long and is not even 10% of what the city of Las Vegas is really about. There is more to offer in Vegas in terms of beautiful subdivisions, inexpenseive housing, schools, (one opened every month for 4 years) several good hospitals, shopping everywhere you look, and more things to do than any other city except New York. The Strip is NOT Vegas, it's the Strip. Hope you take a closer look at the rest of the city.
As for me I love New York and can't think of a more diversified city. Or one with the most to offer a foodie like me. Great markets, great ethnic food shops and great variety. Vegas loses in the ethnic food market category, just terrific restaurants and ton of them.

Awww come on now qmax. You gotta know that the one Strip of road, Las Vegas Blvd. is only 3 miles long and is not even 10% of what the city of Las Vegas is really about. There is more to offer in Vegas in terms of beautiful subdivisions, inexpenseive housing, schools, (one opened every month for 4 years) several good hospitals, shopping everywhere you look, and more things to do than any other city except New York. The Strip is NOT Vegas, it's the Strip. Hope you take a closer look at the rest of the city.
As for me I love New York and can't think of a more diversified city. Or one with the most to offer a foodie like me. Great markets, great ethnic food shops and great variety. Vegas loses in the ethnic food market category, just terrific restaurants and ton of them.

Ah, well qualified. Actually, my in-laws live in Henderson. I have been there many times.

That said, when just about anybody mentions Las Vegas, they mean the Strip. THAT SAID, I still dislike Las Vegas, WAY too hot in the summer, environment looks like a moonscape. No wonder the area was used as a nuke testing ground.

Nothing personal, but you can have it. It's near the bottom of my list as a place to go.

Back
Top Bottom