"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-24-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
Head Chef
Most memorable vacation?

After going to Barbados this June my boyfriend and I decided to make a list of places we want to go and I got to thinking, what is your most memorable vacation?

I would have to say that my top have been Edinbourogh, Barbados, and camping in Maine.

Edinbourogh was really cold, but I loved visiting the castles and hiking the countryside. We didn't have a place to stay when we got there, and since we were in college then we didn't have much money, but it was one of my most memorable trips.

We went on a camping trip to Maine a few years ago and picked a camping area on Mount Desert Island. We were there for 3 days, but we had a car and drove around the island taking pictures and sight seeing. At night we would set up a fire and cook dinner that we brought and turned on some tunes and enjoyed the stars that we don't see here in Manhattan.

We went to Barbados this past June. We had a lovely ocean view suite where we could hear the ocean from our patio. We split our time by doing tourist stuff, swimming and scuba diving, and during the nights we went to the watering hole's (little rum huts) and made friends with the locals.

Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
Head Chef
1. honeymoon in Antigua
2. backpacking in Seven Devils Mtns in Idaho
3. Eastern Caribbean cruise
4. most memorable/least fun - a trip starting in N. Idaho, down through Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and Old Mexico. Over as far east as Illinois, back through Iowa, tha Dakotas, Montana, and finally home to Idaho.
850 miles or so in 17 days...in the back seat of a 72 VW Bug...with black vinyl seats...in the summer! WOOHOO! That was out last traveling vacation ever.

vagriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #3
Sous Chef
I think the Bahamas, when I was seventeen.
Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. -Julia Child
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:35 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I would have to say it's a toss up between the 10 weeks we spend it Europe in 97 and the week we spent in Mexico last October.

In 97 we flew to Amsterdam where we bought a Volkswagon van. We spent the next ten weeks driving where ever we wanted to. The trip was GREAT and horrid and exciting and dull. So many things happened... way too long and hard to explain all of it on a single post. I'll just tell ya the best and the worst. The worst was the weather. OH my goodness... it was the HOTTEST summer that Europe had seen in years. It was so hot that railroad tracks were warping. Keep in mind that the volkswagen ( that kept breaking down!!) had no AC. We were so hot and grumpy!
The best... well that had to be my first sight of my MIL's village. It was so beautiful. I'll never forget driving over the top of the mountain and seeing the rocks of the Meteora. I've seen photos my whole life but to finally be there was such an amazing feeling. In away it was like coming home to a place I'd never been before. Another great thing was the food.
We lived on fresh bread, tomatoes picked right from the garden and cheeses and cukes and gyros!! It was all so simple but you can not beat the taste of a really Greek gyro... they are 100 times different than you get here in the states.

The second best vacation was to Mexico last year.
It was just a perfect week. Nice and warm and sunny, good friends,
good beer, good tequilia, good food and...well, the reason I'll remember it forever is that....we bought a condo!! It's still being built but when it's done it's going to be beautiful! It's right on the ocean. We got to pick out all the paint colors and all the kinds of tiles... pretty fun!!

http://www.costabonita.com.mx/ here's the address if you want to take a look. Click on the Paraiso link.

We plan on renting it out most of the year but we'll keep a few weeks for "JUST US"!!... and then after Paul retires we will have a retirement home ready and waiting!! I'm so excited.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
Senior Cook
I have had several trips that was on the top of my list:
A 6 wk camping trip with the my family to Great Slave Lake, (Yellowknife) NWT. A month trip to SW China and Tibet; a year backpack in Australia and New Zealand; 2 mo in Ireland; Peru and the Amazon at Christmas to see the Southern Cross..... I've been lots of other places and feel s fortunate to have had the ability to travel to see the world but there are many places I will never get to visit. I have visited all 50 states.
Swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
Head Chef
My most 'memorable' vacation is always my LAST one! In this case, a week in Cabo San Lucas.

But I always remember my ski holidays particularly well for some reason, too!
Dogs have owners ~ Cats have staff.
The Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:32 PM   #7
Head Chef
Originally Posted by pdswife
http://www.costabonita.com.mx/ here's the address if you want to take a look. Click on the Paraiso link.

We plan on renting it out most of the year but we'll keep a few weeks for "JUST US"!!
How much for a week?
vagriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
Senior Cook
many places

I have been many places too and I also feel very lucky to have
traveled so much.
But I would have to say the three top so far are

When our first child was just about a year we went to
Pagosa Co it was so much fun and about a foot of snow everyday.
We stayed in a beautiful condo and just got away from everything
and spent time together. Much needed vacation.

Next I would say a few years ago My hubby and I planned a out post
fishing trip with my brother and his family.. Well the lodge called a few
days before we were to leave and said the lake was still frozen there would
be no way to fly us to the out post my brother and husband wanted to go.
But he said a few days later he would be able to fly us out to a different
out post camp. My brother had already been there and did not want to
go back to the same lake. So he canceled out and the lodge said they
would still fly my husband and me out to the this out post and it would
be o.k. if we did not meet the limit requirement, most out post have a # of people you must have to get the out post. So we were able to
spend a week way up in Canada fishing and no-one else around except
the bears. It was a blast.....

Third would have to be last year we rented a house boat on Lake Powell
just us and our girls it was so much fun, and the beauty was out of this
world. My girls keep asking when we can go back. After the house boat
we took our time and went white water rafting in Co and then finished
our vacation in a cabin right on the river in Estes Park. Can't remember
the name of the river, great way to end a exciting trip.

My folks called last week and said we want to kid nap you and my hubby
for a week what are the dates you have to be in town? when do the kids
start school.. Just found out today we are going to Canada to fish next
week. Another flly out can't wait. We won't be doing the out post, my
folks are in their mid to late 80s it would be to rough on them.
is your glass half full or empty? my is half full
rickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:36 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
Sailing around to various spots in Door County on my dad's sailboat.

Hippie camping trip to western Canada that first husband & I took after graduating from college. Heard over a campfire that Nixon had resigned.

There's others, but those two I remember very well.

Looking forward to witnessing the Macy's Thanksgiving parade this November in NYC. Bucky, you need to be on hand to provide color commentary.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
Executive Chef
We took a sailing boat around the Greek islands when we first met many years ago... We spent three weeks cruising from island to island. It was magical.

Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote