"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
So I take it our next duet album won't be a big seller?
Nope, but we will look good in the light!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I took lessons, but totally sucked. I did enjoy playing clarinet and bassoon in HS.
i love bassoon. it's like playing a small tree. sounds great, too. bugs bunny would have been nothing without it.

i played sax (alto, tenor, & bari), and trombone, but i gave up the 'bone because i didn't like getting fish lips.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #13
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
My mother was a very active person, and music was her most passionate hobby. She performed at the White House with her hand bell choir, she sang practically non stop, both in groups and solo, and was amazing on the Piano. I remember as a kid, I couldn't listen to the radio in the car, as it was always my mother doing her rendition to whatever was on, to the point of annoyance, but looking back, I think she was trolling me, and she had more fun with me just wanting her to be quite, lol. My grandmother was an amazing voice, and also really comfortable behind the keys. My mother has the Baby grand that was once my babas.

My dad, he couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, never played an instrument, BUT he could whistle like nobody I had ever heard. He would only whistle at working, and when he would stop, I would ask why, and he would say why what, like he never even knew he was whistling.

I can play a bunch of stuff, love music, still play, music is a passion and flows through my veins, but I couldn't whistle if I had a million dollars sitting in from of me. I Couldn't whistle to save my life.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
No one has ever accused me or my family of having any musical talent. I am not allowed to sing by SO or my children.

I enjoy music but have become the old fogey who sees no recognizable merit whatsoever in today's music. i am firmly ensconced in the 60s and earlier. (that's the 1960s)
I used to tell my kids when they had "their" music on to hum it to me. If you cain't hum it, then it ain't music. Woudl you want that song played in the church as your wedding ceremony is starting?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I sang in a lot of musicals, too...I got moved to lighting and makeup...
Let's see. You, Dawg, and me. We have a trio. I know where there is a shack down by the railroad tracks where we can practice. I'll bring the comb and wax paper. Who wants to bring the Kazoo?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #16
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If you cain't hum it, then it ain't music.
That is awesome! I almost wish I had kids, so I could use that! either way, pretty good way to look at it!
Old 02-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

My father passed on the love for music to me and my sister. Every night we would harmonize love ballads as we did the dishes. We also played duets on the piano for entertainment. She had a lovely voice and had joined many choirs and community choruses. She also sang at weddings and funerals. She even sang at her own son's funeral. How she did it, I will never know. She could hit high C above high C.

She played the piano, French horn and trumpet. I played the piano and trumpet. I also sang in church choirs and later worked with the altos in choirs. I played Pomp And Circumstances by Elgar for High School graduations. I wanted to learn the flute so I could harmonize with opera singers as they sang la ha ha la ha high notes. But they needed a trumpet player for the school band. So that killed that dream. Besides, I didn't know any opera singers in the fifth grade. I can whistle and still do to this day. I love to whistle Straus Waltzes. I whistle all day long. And when I am not whistling, I am singing Latin Hymns. But not when Teddy Bear is around.

Give me a blank sheet of music manuscript, and I hear notes in my head. I wanted a career in music or medicine. But instead I chose to get married, thinking I would do it later in life.

I love Broadway musicals. My sister and I used to go to them when they came to Boston. Now my daughter and I do. I had hoped one of my kids would love music as much as I do. My youngest does. He loves classical and listened to Gregorian Chants whenever he was studying in college. And he is teaching his son how to play a sixteen note xylophone I bought for him. He does hit separate keys instead of making just noise. He can play up to the letter G. When I was at their house for Christmas, my son and I play a duet on it, and he was fascinated. My son also played the trumpet and tuba in his HS band.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #18
Head Chef

I tried to sing to Sophia, my 2 year old granddaughter--she immediately pointed her finger at me, and said, "You STOP that!"

Her mama is working on her doctorate in musical performance from Indiana University--she is a mezzo-soprano.

Her daddy (my son) sings just like me.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

In our family, if you can't sing, we say you sing on the cracks of the keyboard. That would be my daughter and granddaughter.

I do have a grandson who plays several instruments in a Toota Toota Band with his Italian grandfather. They play at weddings.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
No one has ever accused me or my family of having any musical talent. I am not allowed to sing by SO or my children.

I enjoy music but have become the old fogey who sees no recognizable merit whatsoever in today's music. i am firmly ensconced in the 60s and earlier. (that's the 1960s)
I sooo did not want to become the old fogey about today's music. Some of it is okay, but there doesn't seem to be anything that's special. "My music" is rock 'n roll from the '60s to the early '80s. I love a lot of '50s rock 'n roll, but it's not "my music", it's like '40s swing: I love it, but it's not my music.

I was worried that it was me, getting old, well I am. I saw Sir Elton John talk about this. He is a musician and thinks like one. He has an open mind about today's music, but is saddened by the lack of good stuff. He compared it to our musical era and asked, "Where is the Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, ...?" And his list of brilliant musicians from our era just went on and on. So Andy, it isn't just that we are getting old and crotchety. Compared with our music, this stuff sucks.