Must haves for new kitchen: spices and herbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm probably a little late on this, but maybe you could mark a few of the recipes from the book, maybe a muffin, potato, and a soup recipe and get all the dry, non-perishable ingredients for them to add to the pkg with a little note of what she/he would have to pick up fresh.

Nice present Jan!!

No, you're not Jean. I keep revising the list and won't be able to add some of them until the last minute.

Raven, wax paper leads to so many other ideas. Shoot, I'm going to have to wrap all this in a laundry basket....which is an idea, too.

It's so nice to have 180000 to bounce questions and ideas back and forth. :)

Last edited:
cjs said:
"It's so nice to have 180000 to bounce questions and ideas back and forth" - but, what a time trimming it all down! Patience Jan, patience.

You are so right, Jean. btw, I'm going to the P.O. this morning. Somehow, someway, I got behind again. :blush:

As far as the selection of spices goes, may I suggest also hungarian paprika and coriander (if they were listed and I missed them, soz!)

Also, as you mentioned if she is not an experienced cook she may have no idea what to do with all the spices. Maybe along with the spices a little booklet of spice and herb guide would be nice?

I was hoping she'd use the Joy of Cooking that I bought her. I just wanted to have the most popular spices and herbs so she wouldn't have to pop out to the market everytime she wants to cook something because I know how frustrating that can be.

I think the spices that have been listed here and the suggestions as well have been perfect for what you are looking for. Another way to go about it is pick up some of your cookbooks and thumb through them. Make a note of which spices appear in the majority of the recipes you look at. Very quickly you will start to see a pattern.

Definately GB.

The wedding is in May so I just want ideas. I'm not going to make major purchases until I'm sure they are going through with it....

I cancelled my first wedding a week before the ceremony. My parents were not amused having put down all the deposits.

The 2nd time, as the Wedding March was playing, my eyes glazed over and dad kept saying, "Let's go Bo. Let's go Bo. Let's go Bo."

So he took hold of my upper arm and dragged my catatonic 110# body down the aisle.

It was a successful marriage for 15 yrs (but it lasted for 20) and I had 2 great boys.

I'd throw in a box of those pre-cut wax paper sheets (we've actually given them as Christmas presents and everyone loves them) from Costco. A subscription to Penzey's One magazine - great for articles on how to use spices and herbs. One really good knife!

What a great and thoughtful idea Jan!:)

Why thank you Sharon. I would have loved it as a new bride but she might look up, give a fake smile and put them in storage.

The jokes on her. I only live an hour and a half away so I can pop in for checks....:ROFLMAO:

Another late thought. How about a little book about herbs and spices - how to use them, what goes with what, with a few recipes?

I may have missed it, but I don't think anybody mentioned ground cloves.

I always use it in pumpkin pie, etc...

What a thoughtful gift! This could get expensive.

Not counting salt and good pepper, here are the herbs and spices I'd choose:

cinnamon
nutmeg
groung ginger
allspice
cloves
granulated garlic
onion powder
parsley
sage
rosemary
thyme
oregano
basil
chives
paprika
cayenne pepper
red pepper flakes

I'm sorry, I couldn't keep it under 17.

I can think of many other things you could include, but one must stop someplace.
I used to do a lot of gift baskets from my flower shop, as well as for friends, and I have a couple of hints for you.
Use wadded up newspaper in the bottom of your container to take up space that no one will see.
Add a nice, spicy smelling candle to your basket.
If you have any type of evergreens on your property, it's nice to clip some as a filler to go between your gifts. It looks prettier than purchased fillers, and the smell is lovely. Ivy and boxwood are also pretty, although they don't have the aroma of pine or cedar. All of it will look much prettier with a spray of leaf gloss.
If you don't have anything you can clip from your yard, for a few dollars, you can always buy a small bundle of something from your florist. Tell him what you need it for, and he'll fix you right up. Different parts of the country have different thing available.
A pretty ribbon is a nice finishing touch, but keep it in proportion with your basket, and leave the streamers long, entertwining them along the handle and in with the gifts.

Last edited:
Alix said:
I have to agree with the lists posted so far. I'd go granulated garlic instead of powder too. My list would be shorter I think, and I would add a few other things as well.

Cookbook
Tea Towels/dish cloths
good lifter and silicone spatula
oven mitts
apron
GOOD cookie sheets

oregano
basil
chiles
chili powder
thyme
cinnamon
a couple of my own easy recipes with maybe a mix that I'd put together. (Brownie mix or a cake mix of some kind)

What a lovely idea this is. She will be so happy to get it.

Half-Baked, you came up with a great idea. I'd love to get something like this. Want me to send you my home address? ROFL Usually I do something like this. Like fancy teapots with exotic teas. Things like this are always a good idea.

This list is great. I'd get about 4 or more pot holders (you have to wash them sometime LOL). Same with the aprons, get 2 or more. Dish towels? a dozen, maybe?

Granulated garlic: I love this stuff so much better than the garlic powder.

Oh yea, and add some of your best (EASIEST) recipes. Make sure the spices in the recipe are in the box though. LoL

Seeing as how I am very new to the world of cooking, I myself just had to go out and purchase the basics for cooking. I unfortunatley did it the hard way and was running to Wal-Mart or Kroeger every day but I found these to be the ones I use most:

vanilla extract
paprika
oregano
thyme
ground ginger
ground cloves
ground cinnamon
baking soda
baking powder
chocolate/peanut butter/butterscotch chips
walnuts
rolled oats
molasses
olive/vegetable oil
bouillon

And then the very basics of sugar, flour, brown sugar etc.

To build up her confidence in the kitchen, I would take three or four of YOUR favorite recipes and give her the ingredients to those, of course with the exceptions of the basics like sugar, butter, etc. Of course, this is only my opinion but that is what I would have loved. Maybe give her a few magazines that will fill her in on what knives are good or what bakingware (<--if that's a word) is the best. Those can be expensive, especially if you don't even know if she is into cooking. I think giving her a cookbook is a great idea. That is how I got started. My mom gave me a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook for Christmas one year and that has been my cooking bible. It has everything you would need to know about converting measurements to substiutions to what basics you NEED when you start cooking.

Some other things I would enjoy receiving if this were for me:

meat thermometer
cheese grater
rolling pin
whisks
wooden spoons
veggie peeler
disposable cutting sheets<--very absorbant and makes for easy clean up
cooling rack
cookie sheet
muffin tin

OK, well I am done giving you my wish list of the things I would have liked.:) You might need a laundry basket like you said but if you are unsure if she likes to cook, then I would try to keep it simple. Best of luck...hopefully she will like it as much as most of us on this site would!;)

Back
Top Bottom