My dogs and greens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmcgrew

Executive Chef
:) The past week or so I noticed my chow mix dog is trying hard to to eat the fresh growing grass outside its hard as their teeth dont work well to pull up grass so I gave her some chopped up romaine with some grated carrot she could not get enough ,today I brought home more romaine and some already prepped brocolli she ate that as well and Lobo our german shepard got into it as well.Im just wondering why all of a sudden they seem to want this everyday. Im wondering whats going on.Anybody know why they are acting this way?
I mean sometimes they eat the grass but lately they just seem they cant get enough.

Last edited:
I have had dogs eat grass and it usually made them vomit. My dogs never liked salad veggies.

I have heard a dog's eating grass is an indication they are not getting all the nutrients they need. I can't verify the truth of that statement.

:) You are right Andy Ive seen them eat the grass and throw up but they dont do it when they eat the lettuce its at night when I give it to them they go to sleep and there is no problem

It might just be that there is fresh green grass from spring time. As Andy mentioned, my dog really doesnt eat grass at all, and if he does it's because his tummy is upset and he needs to vomit. I feed my dog only dry food, not canned, and he also eats certain vegetables and fruit. He seems happy with that.

:) Well I guess as long as they want it I will give it to them thats the same reason I would not let HB spray weed killer where the grass is growing that the dogs might want to eat.It was a fight but I won.

:) I read some where the reason dogs eat grass is because they like the way it taste's but I dont believe it ,they have a purpose just as cats do when they eat the grass.

and

:) Dove is smart to many onions can kill a dog as well as grapes/raisins/macadamia nuts,chocolate and a host of other things

I was told once that dogs eat the greens to help them digest. Imagine that fix, spring comes and they can finally "clean" out their system from a LONG winter.....

What happens when we eat alot of greens when we aint used to them?

My little toy poodle (12 yrs.) only eats grass when his tummy is upset, after he vomits he is fine ! Smart animals, they know what they need.

Fascinating how many different reasons we have come up with for why dogs eat grass.

I suspect you should consult someone who knows for sure. Call your vet.

Yep, all of the above. Some dogs eat grass for any number of reasons, upset stomach, nerves, need nutrients (although grass would not provide any nutrition anymore than eating whole veggies. Their digestive tracts are not long enough to break down plant matter), something to do.... some dogs just like to graze, or get at the roots and grubs under the grass.

On weed killer. Don't worry about it AFTER it has dried. Of course don't let your pets on weed/grub killers and fertilizer until it either dries or gets absorbed into the ground, some stuff says 48 hours, but once that happens you are safe. Your pet would never eat enough to cause it harm. I got this info from several manufacturers and use weed/grass killer without ill effect and one of my own poochies is a grazer.

Dogs in the "natural state" would normally eat the entrails of their prey animals, which in the springtime would be filled with partially digested high-nutrient young sprouts of newly growing plants. Your pets may be reacting to an age-old instinct/need.

I only have a cat now, but I do remember my mother whizzing up green stuff in the blender to give to the dogs in the springtime, mostly to prevent them from chewing up her sprouting garden! (I think the vet gave her the above explanation.)

Back
Top Bottom