"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-15-2007, 02:58 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Texasgirl, I'm so sorry to hear about your son. I'm glad he wasn't hurt physically, but is he alright emotionally; what with the cops yelling, the idiot yelling and his new car being wrecked? Give him lots of hugs and 1 from me. I know what you are both going through and it's not easy but you will pull through. Dawn T

Old 12-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Glad to hear everyone was ok. I'm an EMT and have dealt with tons of cops on scenes. The cop shouldn't have been yelling at your son but just remember that cops have bad days too. You will want to keep an eye on your son even though didn't feel hurt during the wreck he could have hurt himself and not felt it because of adreniline.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:12 PM   #13
Master Chef

So glad that your son and noone else was unhurt, Texasgirl------a shame about the blame game. More painful is that insurance rates are higher for young men and rates usually go up whether there's fault or not.....a helpful hint for anyone is to have a disposable camera and pen and paper in the glove compartment just in case of wrecks. You also might want to check if your insurance company gives a discount for good report cards. Ours did. Hang in there....
Old 12-15-2007, 05:11 PM   #14
Master Chef

Thank you all for the hugs! I am VERY glad that my son is alive and well. That is what I keep telling him. So many things could have gone wrong in that one second and he has to thank god that he is still here. He is very depressed right now. He was just starting to get going with his life and this happens. I talked to the owner of the wrecker service and the radiator is completely gone and the front body damage is pretty extensive, but, not totaled. This is not a good Christmas for him, but, he's alive and he will learn from it.
Uncle Bob, we live in this little town of good ole boys and they will have a report ready for him next week. I am calling the chief on Monday and see if he can at least tell me what they found to show who was at fault. I pray that this doesn't turn out to be like another time with him and the cops are friends with the guy and it falls on my son. If it was his fault, fine, he has to deal with it and get the car fixed, but, if it is the other guys fault, then I hope he had insurance to pay for the car being fixed.
Emotionally, he down right now, but, he'll be okay. I'll make sure of that!!
Old 12-15-2007, 05:12 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
So glad that your son and noone else was unhurt, Texasgirl------a shame about the blame game. More painful is that insurance rates are higher for young men and rates usually go up whether there's fault or not.....a helpful hint for anyone is to have a disposable camera and pen and paper in the glove compartment just in case of wrecks. You also might want to check if your insurance company gives a discount for good report cards. Ours did. Hang in there....
He's 22
He wouldn't have gotten the discount anyway, he graduated by the skin of his teeth. LOL
Old 12-15-2007, 08:57 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Poor thing! How terrible. I hope he will remain okay and that the report goes in his favour. Here's hoping he can get the car repaired quickly.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:05 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I'm so sorry, texas. I've been through a few wrecks with my kids and it's really hard. Of course, the main thing is he's OK. But it is really tough for them when all of a sudden, they have no transportation and not enough money to get the car fixed immediately. Tell him we're all glad he's alive and hope he'll be able to work something out with the mechanic. And good luck with the police.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:21 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
IF he has to go to court, is there someway you can ask if the other driver was given a sobriety test. Maybe it can be emphasized that this didn't happen and maybe it will be dismissed. And maybe someone else can give better information (lawyer-type info) than I can.

I'm glad your son is safe. He's probably still a bit shaken though. Has he been checked at hospital?
Old 12-15-2007, 11:59 PM   #19
Head Chef

Texas girl You have my deepest concern for your son and his well being. I once was in law enforcement and we had more than our share of neanderthal cops, we called them Rambo and badge happy.. Get him a lawyer if things turn sour, at his age a bad mark will cost him forever. He has my best wishes. I despise the good ole boys network for what they are king size JERKS. I much prefered cooking to law enforcement.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:16 AM   #20
Master Chef

[quote=texasgirl;521819]He's 22
He wouldn't have gotten the discount anyway, he graduated by the skin of his teeth

So did our son.........we have the same virus and I bet that you cried a lot......